No announcement yet.

Rat and Mice Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried Ivermectin? I read it really screws them up.

Comment

Get a couple 3 feral or farm cats, find a couple Rat snakes they will clean it up and keep it that way.

Comment

Lol, I ordered two these, manufacturers send me my money back. They never made it to me.

Comment

I made a version of that trap and it did not work at all. I put out TomKat bait traps and had dead mice everywhere….down side is finding and getting rid of the stinky bodies. Not the most enjoyable game of hide and go seek.

I just acquired my second outdoor kitten… a yellow tom named Ray. No critters with 4 legs come inside our house. The Carolina Wrens know better than to make low nests in our woods. Once spun up the cats will be first line of defense against snakes and mice.

Rick…if the mice and rats arent coming to the bait…youve got other food sources available to them that you’ll need to secure. Definitely secure the available food sources before that barrell trap will have any effectiveness.

Good luck MrBarbee.

Comment

I went through two tubs of Rat poison one year, now we have seven cats. Saw them chewing on half a rat last week. Haven't had a problem since. Just have to toss them a little cat food every day to keep them satisfied. Half of them are flat out crazy because we had stray dogs try and kill them every night for a month.....dogs didn't get any of them, but one lost half it's tail.

Comment

That's the mama to most of them.
              Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 08-19-2021, 07:22 AM.

Comment

TomCat traps baited with peanut butter are my preferred method. Ive found that Ive got to create a funnel to where they can only approach the trap from one direction…head on. And…the trip plate has to be feathered down some to lighten/shorten the trip catch…which can be an annoying game of hokey pokey but definitely increases effectiveness. The new white plastic traps are crap.

I just set this trap two days ago in my travel trailer…I shouldve checked yesterday…the mouse is already decomposing.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 08-19-2021, 07:27 AM. Reason: WhiteTrapsCrapSpake

Comment

Reset on the boat. Observe the funnel. It took me 2 times feathering the bait/trip plate down before getting it right. The trailer mouse three days ago ate all the bait without tripping the trap.
                  Also…I rub some of the peanut butter bait on my fingers when handling the trap, so it doesnt smell like me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if you’ve tried the electric traps, but I’ve had a high success rate with them.
                    Go to 1:40 for the good part.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                      Not sure if you’ve tried the electric traps, but I’ve had a high success rate with them.
                      Go to 1:40 for the good part.

https://youtu.be/DEAMT7eU35k
                      Haaa Haaa !

My light bulb just went on.

I don't need to buy something I can easily build.

Going to convert my current "plank trap" into an "electric plank trap".

If it don't kill them, it'll still dump them into the barrel.

Rick

Comment

I slicked the plank up slicker'n snot on a doorknob.

I'm also working on a shock therapy device to attach to it.

If the plank don't dump them, once they reach a certain spot, the shock will.

Rick

Comment

Make sure there's no kiddo's around if you're playing with electricity. I know you're mad at the rodents, but it ain't worth someone getting hurt. Plenty of safe products on the market that will do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                            Make sure there's no kiddo's around if you're playing with electricity. I know you're mad at the rodents, but it ain't worth someone getting hurt. Plenty of safe products on the market that will do the trick.
                            I'm a retired electrician/controls technician. I can build it so it is safe for humans, but it'll knock the snot out of a rat, or mouse.

Probably going to use a low voltage starting capacitor, and battery power.

Oh, and P.S.
                            I hardly ever buy something, that I can build myself.

Rick

Comment

Great ideas guys. Thanks

Comment

Yep, the Victor rat traps work well. Our pack rats seem to prefer fruit of some kind on the trigger.
                                Rats just store the poison and don't eat it much we found out.

Comment

Working...
                                X