Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rip vietnam joe galloway

Joe Galloway from Refugio died.

A native of Refugio, Texas, Galloway spent 22 years as a war correspondent and bureau chief for United Press International, including serving four tours in Vietnam. He then worked for U.S. News & World Report magazine and Knight Ridder newspapers in a series of overseas roles, including reporting from the Persian Gulf War in 1991.

Galloway died Wednesday morning, his wife, Grace Galloway, told The Associated Press, after being hospitalized near their home in Concord, North Carolina. He is also survived by two sons and a stepdaughter.

With co-author retired U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, Galloway wrote "We Were Soldiers Once ... And Young," which recounted his and Moore's experience during a bloody 1965 battle with the North Vietnamese in the Ia Drang Valley. The book became a national bestseller and was made into the 2002 movie "We Were Soldiers," starring Mel Gibson as Moore and Barry Pepper as Galloway.

"Joe has my respect and admiration — a combat reporter in the field who willingly flew into hot spots and, when things got tough, was not afraid to take up arms to fight for his country and his brothers," Gibson said Wednesday.

Galloway was decorated with a Bronze Star Medal with V in 1998 for rescuing wounded soldiers under fire during the la Drang battle. He is the only civilian awarded a medal of valor by the U.S. Army for actions in combat during the Vietnam War.

God bless him, very brave man. I can't imagine the things he witnessed during that war.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Rest easy sir.

Comment

RIP, That was a great movie.

Comment

a great man. RIP Mr Joe.

Comment

Hand Salute! Ready, To. RIP brother. We really can’t afford to lose anymore patriots like yourself.

Comment

He was a great writer and a very interesting man. I always enjoyed his story about his two great grandfathers who fought in the Civil War. One lost his right leg at Manassas and the other lost his left leg at the Battle of the Wilderness. After the war they owned adjoining farms and twice a year would split a new pair of boots.

Comment

RIP sir!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  He was a great writer and a very interesting man. I always enjoyed his story about his two great grandfathers who fought in the Civil War. One lost his right leg at Manassas and the other lost his left leg at the Battle of the Wilderness. After the war they owned adjoining farms and twice a year would split a new pair of boots.
                  That is cool!!

Sounds like Joe led a hell of a life and was a very brave man. RIP sir

Comment

RIP, Drive on!
                    Last edited by El Paisano; 08-19-2021, 12:01 PM. Reason: Wording

Comment

RIP Sir.

Comment

RIP, Joe.
                        You told the story well..

Comment

RIP, Joe.

Comment

R. I. P. Joe Galloway. A national hero.

Comment

RIP Joe

Comment