Need tips for finding Indian campgrounds or other sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need tips for finding Indian campgrounds or other sites

There’s a decent creek I’ll continue to search for points but what about hills? There are lots of hills of varying heights to check out.

Maybe young warriors might’ve been sent to isolate on these hills to have visions. I’ve heard of this told by a few tribe members.

A university came out to dig for artifacts nearby. They decided to dig deep into the center of a historic hill well known by those who used the Chisholm Trail. We never were told exactly what was found, though it sounds like their hard work paid off.

What would make one hill more likely to hold a greater number of artifacts than the others?

No help but I'll follow along for more details. I'm trying to learn more as well.

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My buddy has Indian mounds on his property.
        They are just small hills, maybe 2 or 3 foot higher than the surrounding area. Just out of place, odd.

You can tell it doesn't belong there. About 30- 30 ft in diameter, some are alittle bigger.

After digging, if you find rock, discolored from camp fires, you know you are in the right spot. These rocks on his place are a orange reddish color, where they should be white.

Comment

Maybe Garguy will weigh in!

Comment

Smoke some peyote and let it guide you brother. No hill is the same

Comment

Man it varies by area but a simplified version is... the closest land above flood plane to running water will virtually always be a site. Now I'm generally talking thousands of years old. In most cases, sites can be easily identified by finding flakes of flint struck in manufacture on the surface or in a quick test hole. Detailed version is thousands if words long.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Man it varies by area but a simplified version is... the closest land above flood plane to running water will virtually always be a site. Now I'm generally talking thousands of years old. In most cases, sites can be easily identified by finding flakes of flint struck in manufacture on the surface or in a quick test hole. Detailed version is thousands if words long.
                I’d like to hear the detailed version or visit with you one day. I think I’m getting better and better at identifying sites, but I know there is more to it. I’ve found stuff before in areas where I didn’t think there should be anything there, but I’ve also been confident places should have been a camp and didn’t find anything. I’ve never dug a hole though so that is part of the problem. I’ve identified one major camp on our deer lease that was cleared of cedar in the last 20 years, but I know there has to be other sites there that I haven’t found hardly anything at.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                  No help but I'll follow along for more details. I'm trying to learn more as well.
                  X2, need to learn more about this too, thanks for the info.

Comment

Last edited by Hockley; 04-24-2022, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

In. We got on a lease that I know has an abundance of them from listening to what other members have found but really don’t know where to start. Wife and daughter would love to find some so anything I can pick up would be helpful.

Comment

My brother does a lot of digs. We even have some Indian mounds on our place. He has told me before that when he suspects he is around a camp, he uses a probing rod and probes the site out till he knows where he wants to start digging.

Comment

Pretty much what GarGuy said. The previous ranch I hunted out west had several Indian burns. It was always fun to check them out .

Comment

My uncle was great at finding them. Just not very good at keeping them

Comment

Working...
                              X