Meat goats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat goats

So which of y'all gringos y mexicanos eat goat meat as part of your regular freezer fare? I've had it...and i like it.

Next year I'm thinking of adding goats to our list of protein sources.

Been looking at kikos/new zealands (popular and expensive), boer, and a few others.

What's the best kind of goat to raise for the sole purpose of butchering?

Not really interested in dairy at this time.

In my mind, we would butcher a goat at about 1 year old and process it for steaks, ground meat, etc.

Anybody doing this...if so, what's your breed of choice?

Do you buy bucklings/doelings somewhere and then butcher them? Or do you keep breeder goats and butcher the kids?

Thanks for any input.

I’m no help but…Love me some cabrito!

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Boer goats are the easiest to raise low maintenance.

Comment

Been eating goat meat for most of my life. It taste great. Wild sheep is also good. I have relatives that brees them and slaughter the young ones.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
          Been eating goat meat for most of my life. It taste great. Wild sheep is also good. I have relatives that brees them and slaughter the young ones.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
          Need more info! If you're from RGV you're practically a goat expert!

Comment

The kind that rings the bell so you can take honey out for a steak!

IDK. Ask the dudes processing them in Mills County or Detroit Rock city. Processed goats are newish in Texas but it’s been going on for a long time I think on the East Coast...

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
              The kind that rings the bell so you can take honey out for a steak!

IDK. Ask the dudes processing them in Mills County or Detroit Rock city. Processed goats are newish in Texas but it’s been going on for a long time I think on the East Coast...
              I'll be processing them myself. Just looking for another retirement hobby! Gotta fill up 21 acres with something. Might as well be protein.

Comment

My buddy has a herd on 38 acres and makes money I suppose. He “ takes” one every so often to freeze. I’d beg some goat meat before I’d raise some on any less than 1000000000 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  I'll be processing them myself. Just looking for another retirement hobby! Gotta fill up 21 acres with something. Might as well be protein.
                  Im pretty sure goats will eat all the natural forage so deer and Elephants will become a rare sight. You could run an elephant on 21 acres. I know a guy if you wanna talk numbers.

Comment

Just make sure you're recording all this homesteading-esque action so you can get those Youtube monies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                      Im pretty sure goats will eat all the natural forage so deer and Elephants will become a rare sight. You could run an elephant on 21 acres. I know a guy if you wanna talk numbers.
                      I have some elephant breeding stock already. They are surprisingly low maintenance and only require about 100 sq ft. per pachyderm.

I'm thinking of just keeping goats in a small pen and feeding store bought feed/hay instead of letting them run rampant.

Comment

These are known for good sausage!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
                          These are known for good sausage!
                          Good grief. It would take a freakin' chainsaw to castrate that sucker.

Comment

Goats

I've been reading about lately.

1. The entire world mostly survives on goat meat
                            2. With recent supply chain issues, I've been thinking goats are a great hedge on shortages
                            3. Extremely efficient at converting plants that contain nitrogen back into the soil (fertilizer)
                            4. They prefer undesirable vegetation over grass. Can naturally keep a pasture clean.
                            5. Huge market for their meat in Texas (many people from all over the world live here, pay cask)
                            6. Reason to get more sheep dogs (I like pyrenees and anatolians)
                            7. As stated above, reasonably low maintenance.
                            8. Just thinking out loud here, maybe aoudad are a good breed, can sell bigguns for hunting???
                            9. I'll think of other reasons...

Comment

I have been seriously considering this.

Comment

Working...
                              X