Trailer registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer registration

I am buying a boat trailer from an elderly gentleman.
    He can not find the paperwork and doesn't remember whether he had a title or just registration.

Is there some one that can run the VIN ans verify whether not there was ever a title on this trailer and whose name is on the registration and or title?

He bought it new many years ago from Bass Pro and I assume if Bass Pro handled the registration properly it is still titled and or registered in his name

I have the gentlemans name and VIN, I also have two possible license plate numbers. He doesn't remember which license plate one is the one that goes with the boat trailer. if any one has any ideas on how to obtain this information.
    Harris County if that matters, Thanks

Not a big deal but you will have to fill out a lost title form and schedule an appointment to have your local LEO verify it isn't stolen.

Comment

Heads up. If it hasn't been registered in a while, they will charge you a penalty. I bought a little bitty trailer and paid almost the same for registration that I did for the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
        Heads up. If it hasn't been registered in a while, they will charge you a penalty. I bought a little bitty trailer and paid almost the same for registration that I did for the trailer.
        Huh? New registration? My ranch trailer sits for long periods of time. I don’t renew registration for awhile. No fee. I assume you mean new registration in your name but don’t understand how there’s a penalty when they can’t prove it was even used in that time.

Comment

I had that happen when i bought a pop up camper from my cousin but it was my fault. Purchase date was a year and a half before i actually tried to register it. I paid a fine per day from 35 days after the sell date. Just because it sits does not necessarily create the same situation

Comment

The County should be able to look up if it was previously registered by the VIN.

You can also look up the VIN online to see if it's been reported stolen. You just have to try multiple sites until you find a free one.

Comment

County tax office will tell you in very short order if titled. Might have him sign the bill of sale for trailer and take that in first with everything in order. Same thing happened to me. They won'tgive you the name the title is in but most are nice enough if you ask if it is in sellers name (i.e. yes or no answer).

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                I had that happen when i bought a pop up camper from my cousin but it was my fault. Purchase date was a year and a half before i actually tried to register it. I paid a fine per day from 35 days after the sell date. Just because it sits does not necessarily create the same situation
                Ah, maybe that's what the penalty was for. I must have misunderstood. Dang it. I would've made a new bill of sale if I'd have known that.

Comment

Yup had that happen a few years ago on a car hauler i bought off a family member. Cost me right at $500 because he hadn't registered it for like 8 years. What's that got to do with me [emoji1751][emoji1751]

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X