Cool Melt on Tip Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool Melt on Tip Threads

Field points always getting loose. I've tried the little washers, and they work "OK" but still get loose.

Was thinking of use a small dab of cool melt on the threads. Should be as easy to remove as an insert. Just a little heat and unscrew it.

Sound like a plan?

just put string wax on the threads. works exactly the same and much easier to remove, with no heat required.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
      just put string wax on the threads. works exactly the same and much easier to remove, with no heat required.
      I've tried with some results. Sort of. What brand wax you using?

Comment

I just use the field points with the o rings on them and they work great. I order them on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use pipe thread tape

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
            I've tried with some results. Sort of. What brand wax you using?
            Honestly I have no idea. I think it is plain jane Bohning string wax I've had since the 80s.
            Coat the threads and screw them in. Never get loose or start to buzz

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
              I just use the field points with the o rings on them and they work great. I order them on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              This

Comment

i've always just used wax. but, it's not a huge deal to me. because I am almost ocd about checking my arrows every pull. i had an arrow blow up on me once. i was very fortunate to not have any of it wind up in my arm.

Comment

With the correct helical or offset your tips will stay tight

Comment

I use a small dab of hot glue. It doesn't take much.

Comment

Cool melt would probably work fine. Let me know if you do it as I might do the same

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        With the correct helical or offset your tips will stay tight
                        I assume you say this because the arrow will be rotating when it goes into the target which will hypothetically tighten the head as the target grips around it and the arrow is still trying to spin.

a right helical/offset rotates clockwise which would hypothetically tighten the point when entering the target. I fletch all of my arrows and shoot right helical and my experience has been they still come loose frequently unless I use the ones with o rings.

And what if you shoot left offset or left helical? Then every shot would cause them to come loose. Is left offset/helical not correct for anyone?

Comment

Not sure why, but I've used the o-rings and they don't work at all. Wierd.

Tried regular bow string wax and it work for a shot or two. Maybe I need different wax or bees wax.

I'll try some cool melt and see. Report back soon.

Comment

I don’t see why cool melt wouldn’t work. Only thing I’d worry about is it bumming up the threads on the insert when changing points after a while but then you could just hear the insert and drain out the glue.

Comment

Working...
                            X