Health Insurance Options for Younger Retirees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Insurance Options for Younger Retirees

Any guys out there on TBH retire less than 65 and not eligible for Medicare?
    My brother is tossing around the idea of retiring at age 51 and is researching health coverage options

Obamacare was less than stellar based on the underwriter being some insurance company with some questionable clauses. Besides my sister had it for awhile and ran into many places not accepting it

He also looked at the shared plans but were geared more for catastrophic coverage

Found a private plan via BCBS but high monthly premium plus annual $15k deductible and not great co-insurance coverage after deductible is met

Is there anything on the private market reasonably affordable? Reasonable coverage?

Anyone else in this predicament?

I couldn’t find anything worth a darn.
    I just had to go with a very high deductible and then wouldn’t go to the doctor except for emergencies.
    I only had to do that for six months though. I’m on Medicare now but my wife is still one the high deductible plan for the next four years.

You might think that you're redneck
    But I'm rednecker than you

Comment

Look into Christian Healthcare Ministries. https://chministries.org/

My brother has used them for the past few years, including some major surgery events, and has been extremely pleased with the program.

I looked at different ways to do this pre-65 and found it very expensive.

Comment

We did a catastrophic only plan of some kind. Both Healthy, only Dr. visits are annuals.
        Wife does all that stuff, thankgoodness.
        (She is 60 me 58)

Comment

Same here.

Looking to retire at 52. City insurance for retirees pre-65 is $2k per month with high deductible.

Looking for a decent plan OR a job with benefits!

Comment

I basically kept my BCBS when I left the biotechnology world at 47. It was what we were used to. Not cheap but continuity of care is more important to us.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought the dumb*** said, if you like you’re plan you can keep it.

That administration screwed us all.

Comment

The wife and I are on a BCBS bronze HMO private plan. If you had told me what it would cost before we retired I would have laughed in your face.

Find a group plan....ANY group plan....some how some way. Its ugly out here in the private market.

Comment

I retired at 53 from one of the oil companies. I was grandfathered in under our old benefits of 80/20(my portion) for insurance. If I would have had to pay some of the crazy rates I am hearing about these days I would have had to think hard about retirement options. This is due to it cutting into play money.

Comment

Yeah he’s finding out there are not many options out there in the private market and what is available is costly

Comment

Have him plan on $30,000 a year and a $13,000 deductible. Before Obummer care it was $8000 a year with a $2500 deductible. Unless he can defer enough income and it will be free.

Comment

Is he willing to move out of country?

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                          Is he willing to move out of country?
                          Nope

Comment

Unfortunately reasonably affordable and reasonable coverage are mutually exclusive in health insurance.

I have a BCBS HSA plan that is reasonably priced but the deductible is super high. My wife and I are healthy so we just pay for whatever medical costs we have out of pocket and have the insurance in case something serious happens.

Comment

Working...
                            X