Need Help - 1 day Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help - 1 day Road Trip

My wife and I have had a pretty rough couple of weeks and we need a day to just get away and have a pretty drive on Sunday to try and take our minds off everything.

Was hoping that y’all could chime in and help make us a loop/route west through the hill country with some suggestions on a place to stop and grab lunch. Maybe a 4-6 hour drive or so.
    Last edited by Gclyde28; 06-24-2022, 11:49 AM.

I'll share one we did recently. We had breakfast in Johnson city, then headed to Fredericksburg walked around a bit and had lunch then headed to Llano to hang out under the bridge in the river, ended up eating supper here and headed home to Buda.

Comment

71 to llano, 16 to fredericksburg, 87 to Mason then go to the Bat Cave at James River just S of Mason. Pack a lunch and eat at the river.

Or just haul out to the Bat Cave, stop in Castell (and say Hi!) for a Burger

Comment

I would also add Hilltop Cafe on 87 as a stop in.

Canyon of the Eagles out on the N end of Lake Buchanan wouldnt be terrible either.

Comment

Driving anywhere around Hunt and those winding roads, low water crossings, is awesome.

Comment

Luchenbach always is a fun day trip. Castell/Llano and Bend General Store are also fun day trips

Comment

Hit the Willow City Loop!

Comment

This one is really nice.
                This 100-mile loop is, without a doubt, among the best, most challenging motorcycle roads in the state. In one 15-mile section, there are about 65 curves!

This place has really good burgers.

Comment

Granny D's I believe it is near Canyon Lake might be a great start for breakfast

Comment

From Kerrville, go west on 39, south on 187 past Lost Maples, west on 337 at Vanderpool to Leakey, then south on 83, east on 1050 to Utopia and back on 187 to Vanderpool. Then east on 337 and north on 16 back to Kerrville.

Comment

Waco...

Comment

Just beware, the areas around Fredericksburg will look like the dead of winter unless they have gotten any rain. We took the Willow City Loop in mid April and there-were less than 100 Bluebonnets visible on the whole loop. The views on the Loop are still spectacular.

Comment

We don’t need a bunch of wildflowers, I know it’s been dry. Some nice views would be good. Stopping for a dip in the river sounds like a pretty good idea as well. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I’ve looked into some and they look awesome, some are just a little further to get there than we were thinking since we will be starting on the west side of Austin.

Comment

When are you planning this? I am headed to Fredericksburg on Tuesday for the volunteer Garrison Bros bottling fun. I could tell you the conditions if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by kyleseipp View Post
                              71 to llano, 16 to fredericksburg, 87 to Mason then go to the Bat Cave at James River just S of Mason. Pack a lunch and eat at the river.

Or just haul out to the Bat Cave, stop in Castell (and say Hi!) for a Burger
                              THIS - wife and I do this 3-4 times a year - get lost in Fredricksburg - great live music, wineries, bars, etc. Great easy place to get to to chill out - God bless

Comment

Working...
                              X