Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbw899 View Post

Yes sir!

That and slime in the tubes as insurance. Worked great!

Comment

Are they going to make everyone do the orientation again? The day before?

Comment

Originally posted by Brown E View Post
        I sure hope not! The regulation sheet says
        Drawn hunters must read this attachment in its entirety and be in full understanding prior to hunting on the refuge.

I remember the one a few years ago said you had to attend orientation the day prior.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          Never been there but I'm planning on just going with my hiking boots for our January trip because I'm expecting to have to put on some miles. If I end up bringing the bike I may bring some running shoes for riding and then change out once I park it. Fresh pair of socks and dry boots go a long way after peddling for a while. We practically live in snake country so I'm more worried about death by a thousand ticks than the snakes.
          I’ve only seen two snakes in 4 hunts there. But ticks have been uncountable! I wear base layers that help prevent them from getting to my skin but they are always around my wrists. And I use permethrin like crazy. Helos but will never prevent them from getting on you

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
            I’ve only seen two snakes in 4 hunts there. But ticks have been uncountable! I wear base layers that help prevent them from getting to my skin but they are always around my wrists. And I use permethrin like crazy. Helos but will never prevent them from getting on you
            I've had great success with permethrin. I spray my clothes down with it real good the night before and have never had a tick on me.

Comment

i also had good results with it. I spray everything down several days ahead of time. No ticks yet.

but, I mix my own & it may be a bit potent.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                I've had great success with permethrin. I spray my clothes down with it real good the night before and have never had a tick on me.
                I've brought several home with me. I spray my gear everyday of the hunt and before I get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  i also had good results with it. I spray everything down several days ahead of time. No ticks yet.

but, I mix my own & it may be a bit potent.
                  Mind sharing that recipe and concentration? I'd rather be a little dizzy with a headache than deal with ticks. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Brown E View Post
                    Orientation has been online the last couple years. I bet that’s how it’ll be again this year.

Comment

Mind sharing that recipe and concentration? I'd rather be a little dizzy with a headache than deal with ticks. LOL
                      Not at all...iff'n I could remember. It has been a few years since I made the batch I am using.

Best I can remember, I bought a quart or so of it(concentrated) at tractor supply and mixed up a gallon or so. Put some in a spray bottle. 3 or 4 days before my trip(have made several trips) I would hang up all the clothes I was taking ... outside, inside the garage... I sprayed the heck out of everything. After a couple days drying, pack it all up. No smell no headaches, but more importnatly...NO ticks. I may have made it a tad bit strong... don't remember, but something I think I would do

Good luck down there. I am bummed not going down this year. It is a learning experience every trip down there.

Comment

Awesome, thank you. I'm going to prepare like mad for the ticks and hopefully my extreme hunting prowess (LOL) will take me the rest of the way. I had to get 4 points before finally drawing so I'm gonna give it the good college try. I'm even thinking of taking a crossbow down there to potentially maximize my opportunities. I sure love my new bow though and it's setup for Elk so really hate to leave that at home.

Comment

if your bow is set up for elk, I'd take it down there as apposed to a cross bow. if you get a chance, go down on a weekend early(like now) and "bird watch" as you scout an area. Take a bike, as you can't park very close. the gate is closed on County road. Unit 1 probably has not mowed the roads yet and the grass can get real high, impeading pedaling.

Comment

We hunt a place that is loaded with ticks and chiggers this time of year. This year we started using Sawyers permethrin spray and the difference was unbelievable, highly recommend it. I bought off of Amazon.

Comment

Thank you both. I'm definitely gonna try to get a bird watching trip in at some point before our hunt but I wanna try to get a little closer to the hunt dates.

Comment

I received the permit # with my name and the 4 page Laguna Atacosta rules that I have to sign. I am assuming this is the orientation. What I don't see yet is my vehicle permit. I think a previous year I had to email them to get it. My hunt period is Nov. 18-20.

Comment

Working...
                                X