New Bow - Which Brand/Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bow - Which Brand/Why

Started off bow hunting with a compound bow before injuring my shoulder and needing surgery. Switched to a crossbow for a few years while my should fully reovered.

Looking to get a new bow. I like/shoot well with a Bear but always like to hear/consider the opinions of others with more experience.

What other brands/makes should I take a look at?
    Last edited by Garrett Harlan; 09-26-2022, 11:35 AM.

Elite… cause that’s what I shoot

Comment

Go shoot all the major brands at your local archery shop and the bow will pick you. Really can't go wrong with any of them. I am an Elite guy myself.

Comment

I have a brand new Bowtech Carbon Zion I'll sell you. Only had 8 shots through it. I bought two Carbon Zions but only need one. Earth brown color, RH, Up to 70 pounds. Paid 800 plus tax, I'll sell to you for 500 cash.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
          Go shoot all the major brands at your local archery shop and the bow will pick you. Really can't go wrong with any of them. I am an Elite guy myself.
          This is the answer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
            Absolutely this.

Different bows feel different from person to person. Go find what you’re comfortable with and take it from there.

Comment

I’ll be in the market soon too and plan on shooting several.

Comment

I suggest shooting several brands also. Look hard at the longer bows. For me the string angle is better and they are easier to shoot accurately at longer distances.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                  I suggest shooting several brands also. Look hard at the longer bows. For me the string angle is better and they are easier to shoot accurately at longer distances.
                  I agree, i succumbed to the hype and got a shorter ATA bow and while its nice in a blind or crowded tree, it's just not as stable at distance and the string angle is pretty steep with my 29" draw.

It's taken more almost a year to admit that to myself, since it's the first new bow i had bought in over a decade.

Comment

Really only 3 I would consider.
                    Bowtech cp28
                    Mathews v3
                    Or an xpedition

Comment

Not in all cases but most of the time from my experience the feller helping you at the counter will try to get you to go with one over the other. I've literally had arguments when choosing a bow because it wasn't a certain brand. I don't know if its commissioned based or just Ford vs Chevy. Pick what feels best for you. Watch that string angle.

Comment

What’s your draw length?

What’s most important to you?
                        Forgiveness?
                        Speed?
                        Bow weight?
                        Tunability?
                        Warranty?
                        Resale value?
                        Draw cycle?
                        Short bow or longer ATA?
                        What type of grip do you like?

As other have said, yes, letting the bow pick you is important. But at the same time, it’s a little hard to know how a bow holds at full draw when you’re shooting a bare bow standing 6ft from the target.

For me, I love shorter bows but I don’t shoot them worth a darn with a longer draw length, plus the string angle makes me duck my head to anchor.

Once I think through all the issues I said up top, I lean toward forgiveness.

Then I think about warranty. Mathews tends to win that for me, because I know they’ll have parts available in 5+ years. Plus you always get a real life human being when you call customer service…

Tunability wise, Bowtech’s deadlock and Elite’s SET system are way ahead of everything else in regard to ease of tuning. Of course for timing, you’re still gonna need a bow press.

Mathews and Hoyt are gonna have you buying their top hats and shim system.

PSE/Obsession/Athens or really any old binary cam (and I haven’t jacked with prime much) are gonna have you playing with shims. Shims make me want to throw the bow in a wood chipper…

Also, some factory strings are better than others. It’s a small consideration, but it’s something to think about. Zebra strings suck!

At the end of the day, don’t let a sales person push you into a bow you’re unsure about. Take the time to think about it. And you can read all sorts of stuff but ultimately YOU are the one who has to shoot it.

Comment

Agree with shooting all major brands. I would suggest to find a Prime dealer as well. A little less marketing than others but I was convinced once I shot one. I shoot the Black 3 now. Could not be happier

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post

Also, some factory strings are better than others. It’s a small consideration, but it’s something to think about. Zebra strings suck!
                            OP, definitely keep that in mind.

If you go Mathews, at least be ready to swap the strings early on. My wife was shooting a Mission (generic Mathews) a few years back. Her bow unstrung when drawing on a buck.

Me, personally and recently, ridiculous peep rotation on a V3X 29 I bought in January. No way I was chancing that, swapped the 60X strings and cables on that bow along with my wife’s Prima. I’ve had several sets on various bows of different brands for several years. Originally recommended by Gerrit Murray, formerly of Santa Fe Archery and then backed up by Richard from Texas Archery this past Saturday. Both of those guys have probably forgot more about bows than I’ll ever know.

Find what feels right to you, but also listen to the people trying to get you set up.

Comment

I have a Mathews and a Hoyt. I shoot both about equal, but the Hoyt has been the most trouble free.

Comment

Working...
                              X