Native Texas Truffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native Texas Truffles

A buddy of mine’s wife stumbled across these pecan truffles today in their back yard, and they are giving me a few. They are pretty small, about the size of a dime/nickel each.

I am wondering what to cook with them. These are on my bucket list to find myself, and I’ve never gotten to cook with them before. I’m thinking of using them with some Axis venison, but don’t really know what would compliment the flavors well. Any ideas????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I hope they meet your expectations. I wouldn’t know if i found one and certainly wouldn’t know what to expect as an addition to a meal.

Comment

i think i found a couple of those the other day. I even thought they looked like truffles but thought that was impossible, but i took a picture. does it look like an actual truffle?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
        i think i found a couple of those the other day. I even thought they looked like truffles but thought that was impossible, but i took a picture. does it look like an actual truffle?

Possibly, but that looks more like a starchy tuber than a truffle. Did you happen to cut one open?

Comment

Steak. Steak goes with anything. Mushrooms. Ice cream. Sweet tea. Salad. Divorces (had steak after my divorce) great meal. Only because the steakhouse was a mole or so away from the courthouse

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
            Possibly, but that looks more like a starchy tuber than a truffle. Did you happen to cut one open?

no i ended up putting them back in the dirt without opening one up. i found them amongst the roots of that monkey grass in the background though. that area stays wet (especially with this rain haha) and mostly shaded with direct sunlight only for a couple hours in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              Steak. Steak goes with anything. Mushrooms. Ice cream. Sweet tea. Salad. Divorces (had steak after my divorce) great meal. Only because the steakhouse was a mole or so away from the courthouse

I’m thinking Axis backstrap... just have to figure out seasonings, sides, drinks, and a good sauce to compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                This is hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  This is hilarious!

Come on girl, help me out with recommendations too!!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    Come on girl, help me out with recommendations too!!

I love a good truffle but, I don’t know...I’ve never heard of these Texas truffles.

How do you know they’re safe to eat?

Are you sure they aren’t hallucinogenic?

I would hate to recommend something that sends you skipping through Strawberry Fields Forever, never to be seen or heard from again!

Comment

I love a good truffle but, I don’t know...I’ve never heard of these Texas truffles.

I would hate to recommend something that sends you skipping through Strawberry Fields Forever, never to be seen or heard from again!
                      This is my concern

Comment

Now I can’t get the Beetles out of my head. I know what I’ll be listening to on my way to work. [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                          Now I can’t get the Beetles out of my head. I know what I’ll be listening to on my way to work. [emoji23]

Yep me too. Thanks alot

Comment

On a serious note is there a Ag office near you that you can call and send a picture so they can identify?? I bet they would be willing to help.

Comment

Found this article on them. Interesting read.
                              Researchers surveyed several pecan orchards and other habitats to investigate the presence and distribution of pecan truffles in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X