Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 03-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
txheartshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb & Gillespie counties
Default Best budget thermal?

What is the best budget priced thermal out there right now? Iím looking at the ATN Thor LT and Thor 4, but wanted the green screenís input. Iíve used a Thor 4 and was impressed for what it is. Iím not doing any long range night hunting, but Iím confident in the Thor 4 out to 250ish yards, after having success. Is there a comparable Pulsar? I was hoping that ATN would come out with something new, and the Thor 4 price would come down, but havenít seen any indication of that yet. TIA for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by txheartshot; 03-22-2021 at 06:56 PM.
txheartshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #2
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I like my Hogster 35.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
Tyrex750
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

In
Tyrex750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 08:43 PM   #4
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: wherever i can

Following. Trying rod decide between these ďcheapĒ ones or go with like a thermion xm30. Thereís such a broad range to pick from

ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #5
txheartshot
Ten Point

Default Best budget thermal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
Following. Trying rod decide between these ďcheapĒ ones or go with like a thermion xm30. Thereís such a broad range to pick from

I canít justify spending $3-$4k on a scope that Iíll only get to use during hunting season and a few times in the off season. If I were going every week, I might go that route, but I have too many irons in the fire.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:59 PM   #6
ckamp52
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txheartshot View Post
I canít justify spending $3-$4k on a scope that Iíll only get to use during hunting season and a few times in the off season. If I were going every week, I might go that route, but I have too many irons in the fire.

I definitely wonít spend that much for the same reasons but if a XM30 for $2200 will give me longer life, better performance and less headaches vs a sub 1K scope Iíll save up a little longer. Iíd just like to see the opinions of others. Didnít mean to highjack or anything

Old 03-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #7
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Look hard at the new AGM Rattler 25 ($2000) or Rattler 35 ($2500). They are amazing for the money and have video and pictures as well.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #8
txheartshot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
I definitely wonít spend that much for the same reasons but if a XM30 for $2200 will give me longer life, better performance and less headaches vs a sub 1K scope Iíll save up a little longer. Iíd just like to see the opinions of others. Didnít mean to highjack or anything

No apologies needed. I started this thread for the conversation & any input is welcome.

The Thor 4 is around $1800 and the Thor LT around $1200. Im trying to stay under $2k.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:22 PM   #9
txheartshot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowaddict40 View Post
Look hard at the new AGM Rattler 25 ($2000) or Rattler 35 ($2500). They are amazing for the money and have video and pictures as well.

Thanks. Iíll check them out.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:

This is the exact reason I went with an IR. I could have bought a thermal and might one day but for hog and yot hunting under 150yrds I went with the sightmark HD 2x with a Ir upgrade. If I was going to get a thermal I would look hard at the super hogster.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
ckamp52
Ten Point

Quote:
No apologies needed. I started this thread for the conversation & any input is welcome.

The Thor 4 is around $1800 and the Thor LT around $1200. Im trying to stay under $2k.

For some reason I was mistaking the Thor for the ATN x sight or whatever they are. Now I need to research the Thor.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #12
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Personally I’d hold off on the ATN. Like mentioned earlier the AGM rattlers seem to be a pretty good optic for the money
kkp005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #13
ckamp52
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
This is the exact reason I went with an IR. I could have bought a thermal and might one day but for hog and yot hunting under 150yrds I went with the sightmark HD 2x with a Ir upgrade. If I was going to get a thermal I would look hard at the super hogster.

I spoke with Jason from outdoor legacy and he said this was a good option so now I need to start you tubing them and get some info

Old 03-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #14
dbelcher269
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

I have a Thor 4 1.25-5 and have had it for over a year. It rides around until he truck and whatever else and have only had one minor issue with the unit. The WiFi wouldn’t connect to watch on a tablet or home. Contacted ATN, got an Return label, shipped the unit back, and got it fixed and returned in about 2 weeks. I like the scope for what it is wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. I have friends that run Pulsars and one guy with and AGM and just based on my circle the quality control isn’t any better, but Pulsar is definitely known for their customer service. Quality of optics wise..if the units have similar specs the picture is similar.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #15
GregO
Eight Point

The wrong thing to do is to look at all the scopes within your budget, and then pick one of those based on other peoples input. The right thing to do is to decide how you are going to use the scope and determine what base magnification best fits your hunting needs. THEN look at the scopes that meets your needs AND fits in your budget. I think base magnification, FOV and resolution are the most important factors in getting the right scope for your needs. Give some background on how you will use it, how far are your typical shots going to be, and then get some input from people with the same use case. These are all expensive, so don't buy the wrong one.
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #16
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

I went the budget thermal route and ended up selling it after a few months and getting a Wraith. Where I hunt the shots are less than 100 yards and the Wraith was much better in my opinion than my budget ($2500) thermal.
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #17
GregO
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
I went the budget thermal route and ended up selling it after a few months and getting a Wraith. Where I hunt the shots are less than 100 yards and the Wraith was much better in my opinion than my budget ($2500) thermal.
This is a great option. I have two thermals and I still get out and hunt with my Wraith(at times). $500 and your are out hunting at night, not a bad way to get started.
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #18
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

For my hunting style looking down sendero chum lines and over feeders most all under 200 yards I went with a Wraith 4K HD IR scope and the AGM TM15-384 monocular for scanning and locating approaching targets. The Wraith has so far proven to have incredible accuracy and the 4 different reticle settings lets me switch it from gun to gun with the quick detach base and still be dead on at 100yd. It also allows me to use it night or day. Hope to get some video this coming weekend.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #19
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties

Rattler 35 or Hogster 35 are very good options. For just a little more though you can get a Super Hogster.

I can hook you up with a brand new Super Hogster for $2800 shipped. They are $3100-$3200 everywhere.
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #20
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Figure out what the max amount of money you want to spend and put a lot of thought into what your average distance is going to be on the majority of your shots. Next step would be to call Jason at Outdoor Legacy Gear and he will get you set up based on how much you want to spend and what the base magnification needs to be for your hunting situation.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #21
txheartshot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
Figure out what the max amount of money you want to spend and put a lot of thought into what your average distance is going to be on the majority of your shots. Next step would be to call Jason at Outdoor Legacy Gear and he will get you set up based on how much you want to spend and what the base magnification needs to be for your hunting situation.

Iím trying to stay at or under $2k. Although we have some long senderos and right of ways, most of my shots are 200 yards or less.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #22
duckmanep
Pope & Young

imo.... the Wraith 2x and a thermal handheld scanner are a great choice for the $2k budget and shots under 200 yds.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #23
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
imo.... the Wraith 2x and a thermal handheld scanner are a great choice for the $2k budget and shots under 200 yds.
This is what Iím going to end up doing. What scanner would you recommend ?
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #24
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
I agree, especially if you are hunting cleared senderos where there is not a bunch of brush for the IR light on the Wraith to catch that would mess up the picture. If I was to do it all over again I would have bought a handheld scanner first and then upgraded my digital NV to thermal later but I dont have a typical hunting situation.

The only other thing I would suggest would be the Thermion XM30 but it is 2300 plus tax. I would only suggest this if your senderos are naarrow because the XM30 has a 3.5 base mag which will not have a very wide field of view. All of the other options below 2k has a pretty low base mag, there might be some options from ATN but I know of three folks that have had their recent thermals and all have had issues. With that said there are a lot of folks that are happy with them but I personally wouldnt risk it.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #25
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
This is what Iím going to end up doing. What scanner would you recommend ?
I have been very pleased with my Pulsar Axion Key XM30, and the Key XM22 I looked through was a very similar image. Have not put my hands on any of the other $1500 and under stuff to know how good it is, but based on reviews I have seen there seem to be other good options in that same price range.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #26
Whale
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson & Red River Co.

Tagged
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #27
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Personally, I wouldn't buy a thermal for that price. You will end up wanting better.

Save up to get in that $3-3500 range.

And please do NOT buy an ATN!!!!!
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #28
txheartshot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Personally, I wouldn't buy a thermal for that price. You will end up wanting better.

Save up to get in that $3-3500 range.

And please do NOT buy an ATN!!!!!

Itís not a matter of saving up...not an issue. I just donít want to sink a bunch of money in something that will get minimal use and be outdated in 6 months.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #29
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin County

For sure don't buy an ATN. They're customer service and product reputation is terrible.

I have a buddy with an AGM rattler. He's satisfied with them. I prefer my Hogster R35 though. But to be honest, I should have spent the extra cash and got a superhogster. I could care less about video recording, but the improved image clarity is noticeable.

If you're serious about buying one, I have a buddy selling an AGM TS-50 Micro for 2,500.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #30
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Itís not a matter of saving up...not an issue. I just donít want to sink a bunch of money in something that will get minimal use and be outdated in 6 months.

I hear you on that. It won't be outdated unless you buy bottom of the barrel.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #31
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO View Post
The wrong thing to do is to look at all the scopes within your budget, and then pick one of those based on other peoples input. The right thing to do is to decide how you are going to use the scope and determine what base magnification best fits your hunting needs. THEN look at the scopes that meets your needs AND fits in your budget. I think base magnification, FOV and resolution are the most important factors in getting the right scope for your needs. Give some background on how you will use it, how far are your typical shots going to be, and then get some input from people with the same use case. These are all expensive, so don't buy the wrong one.
THIS is the right answer. This is my method of operation on every single phone call I take and it's the exact opposite of how natural human tendency says to do it.

A shovel and a garden rake are both garden tools and cost about the same amount. Some people will tell you why all they use is a rake and they don't need a shovel at all. Others will tell you why a rake isn't near as handy as a shovel. 99% of them only own a shovel or a rake and they have only used one brand and style of their preferred tool and can't tell you from experience how all the shovels and rakes perform next to each other in the garden. Corny? Yes but a thermal scope is a tool, a very expensive tool. A Thermion XM30 is made for a totally different style of hunting that a Hogster R 25 and they cost the exact same amount.

As Greg says you have to know what tool you need and then find the one that fits your budget and your specs. Sometimes with a small budget it's a give and take. You don't have 8 scopes to chose from so you might have to give up some of the things you wanted or wait and save up to get the scope you want and need.

Good luck and feel free to give me a call if you need advice on different models.

(877)350-1818
outdoorlegacygear.com

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #32
txheartshot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
THIS is the right answer. This is my method of operation on every single phone call I take and it's the exact opposite of how natural human tendency says to do it.

A shovel and a garden rake are both garden tools and cost about the same amount. Some people will tell you why all they use is a rake and they don't need a shovel at all. Others will tell you why a rake isn't near as handy as a shovel. 99% of them only own a shovel or a rake and they have only used one brand and style of their preferred tool and can't tell you from experience how all the shovels and rakes perform next to each other in the garden. Corny? Yes but a thermal scope is a tool, a very expensive tool. A Thermion XM30 is made for a totally different style of hunting that a Hogster R 25 and they cost the exact same amount.

As Greg says you have to know what tool you need and then find the one that fits your budget and your specs. Sometimes with a small budget it's a give and take. You don't have 8 scopes to chose from so you might have to give up some of the things you wanted or wait and save up to get the scope you want and need.

Good luck and feel free to give me a call if you need advice on different models.

(877)350-1818
outdoorlegacygear.com

Jason

Thanks Jason. Iíll be giving you a call.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:45 PM   #33
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
Rattler 35 or Hogster 35 are very good options. For just a little more though you can get a Super Hogster.

I can hook you up with a brand new Super Hogster for $2800 shipped. They are $3100-$3200 everywhere.
Are you already selling yours?
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #34
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Are you already selling yours?
No heís not. We found a helluva deal on them. But I am selling my regular Hogster 35 now. Super should be on the front porch Tuesday 😬
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #35
txheartshot
Ten Point

Just ordered a Pulsar Digex 450 NV from Outdoor Legacy. I think itíll be my best value for what Iím looking to do. Thanks again, Jason!

Old 04-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #36
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just ordered a Pulsar Digex 450 NV from Outdoor Legacy. I think itíll be my best value for what Iím looking to do. Thanks again, Jason!

curious.... what made you go digex over wraith?
Old 04-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #37
txheartshot
Ten Point

Quote:
curious.... what made you go digex over wraith?

Basically more features. Audio AND video recording, PIP, itís waterproof/dust proof, and honestly the Pulsar name. A friend and neighbor of mine has several Pulsar scopes (commercial hog/varmint hunter) and has had nothing but positive things to say about them the last few years. A few other folks have recommended them, and after another call to Jason, I pulled the trigger. Weíll find out this weekend if it was the right decision or not.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:54 PM   #38
Arrowslinger1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rotan tx, Coleman ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post

Iíd be interested in that hook up!
Arrowslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2021, 09:44 PM   #39
Mconner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas,anywhere

��
Mconner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #40
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

I've got a Pulsar RX30v and it is everything I need it to be. I'm not trying to take video and I'm not trying to have a ****** stretch with other guys and their $5k+ thermal. It works for killing pigs and coyotes and that is all that matters to me.

I'd probably feel differently if I had thousands of acres to hunt and it was my main hobby but I don't and it isn't.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #41
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
I've got a Pulsar RX30v and it is everything I need it to be. I'm not trying to take video and I'm not trying to have a ****** stretch with other guys and their $5k+ thermal. It works for killing pigs and coyotes and that is all that matters to me.

I'd probably feel differently if I had thousands of acres to hunt and it was my main hobby but I don't and it isn't.
This for me as well
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top