Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #551
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Baffin Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemanTTU View Post
Has anyone dealt with Bering Optics CS? Thinking about buying a Super Hogster for my first thermal.
A friend of mine has and they were good to go from what he said. Located in the metroplex area if I remember correctly.
That was part of the reason I picked up the Hogster R 35mm.
Bering is sold through TNVC/Night Goggles who are the industry leader IMO, and if TNVC sells/backs a product its a pretty solid endorsement.

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 05-28-2021 at 11:34 AM.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #552
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Let’s see if the weather will cooperate tonight!
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #553
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Letís see if the weather will cooperate tonight!
Mother Nature is fixing to drag a nut sack across yíall in a few hours haha. That storm looks nasty
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #554
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County
Default The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Vampigra brought a coyote right to us. Pretty versatile sound for hogs and coyotes

https://youtube.com/shorts/oUwCFVH31BM?feature=share
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #555
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

We got on plenty of hogs. Fought the weather a bit, but overall it cooperated pretty well. We shot like absolute dog **** though. 12 hogs on the ground, as we should’ve easily been 30+. Can’t blame anyone but ourselves for last night.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #556
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Picked up a new pew pew for the war on hogs. Lot lighter then my AR10 but still got some knock down with a 7.62x39 barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #557
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
Picked up a new pew pew for the war on hogs. Lot lighter then my AR10 but still got some knock down with a 7.62x39 barrel

I'm thinking of making the same switch....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 11:34 PM   #558
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Holy giant photos Russman!

Not sure what they look like on tapatalk but on my laptop they stretch to the other side of the county.LOL

Great looking rifle from what I can tell!
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 12:50 AM   #559
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Holy giant photos Russman!

Not sure what they look like on tapatalk but on my laptop they stretch to the other side of the county.LOL

Great looking rifle from what I can tell!

Lol oops, it looks normal on the tapa, letís try again

Medium:

Small:

Old 06-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #560
imyomama
Ten Point

holy crap , i'm done with hog hunting for now .. switching to mosquito swatting for a while.. shot one this weekend after dark, and i think i lost more blood than the hog ..
ended up putting a mesh jacket on and still got bit through that .. 25% deet off , slowed them down a bit but still got bit a little ... now i know how godzilla felt on top of that building...

i would totally assume hogs can smell bug spray for miles ... it's potent stuff.
ended up firing up the thermacell once i found it and it had a little gas left ...

well at least the pond is full!
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #561
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post
holy crap , i'm done with hog hunting for now .. switching to mosquito swatting for a while.. shot one this weekend after dark, and i think i lost more blood than the hog ..
ended up putting a mesh jacket on and still got bit through that .. 25% deet off , slowed them down a bit but still got bit a little ... now i know how godzilla felt on top of that building...

i would totally assume hogs can smell bug spray for miles ... it's potent stuff.
ended up firing up the thermacell once i found it and it had a little gas left ...

As long as you play the wind it doesnít seem to have too much of an effect surprisingly. High DEET Off is pretty much standard gear for us this time of year. Last week we got within 50-60 yds of 6 sounders playing the wind. The only time weíve been busted weíd have been busted whether we were wearing Off or not.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #562
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:

Shannon bug tamer is the only way to go, I just fold the face net back while stalking but keep my ears covered with the hood. But that fish net material on the inside is the key to no skeeters.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:47 AM   #563
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hope Jason has some convergent bullets come Friday, Iím pretty sure I could of lured the other two in and got them as well. Buggers came back with a vengeance on my south pasture, probably go down there when I wake up and start stacking blackbrush and McCartney rose before disking the whole thing.

The new 7.62x39 rifle is a keeper, got it sighted in @ 75yds and itís pretty accurate with 123gr bullets. My color blindness saved me yet again, the one on the right I winged but thought was down hard so went after other two. Giving up on them I was walking back across the pasture and caught movement about 25yds to my right. It was this hip shot bugger trying to slip by (he covered about 250yds). Soon as I got him in the crosshairs I let him have a double tap and then a coup de grace with the .357 sig. Always pack a side arm boys

Any-who, off to the train station!!!

Last edited by Russ81; 06-08-2021 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #564
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.

Quote:
Shannon bug tamer is the only way to go, I just fold the face net back while stalking but keep my ears covered with the hood. But that fish net material on the inside is the key to no skeeters.

Shannon Bug Tamer for sure! Some of the best money I have ever spent. It works and is not hot.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #565
Russ81
Pope & Young

Well Iíve been good for awhile now not buying new gear but the hogs are needing a new trick to dupe them.

And now we wait for the fedex truck

Last edited by Russ81; 06-11-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #566
GregO
Eight Point

Quote:
Well Iíve been good for awhile now not buying new gear but the hogs are needing a new trick to dupe them.

And now we wait for the fedex truck

I've been trying this for a while now, it works. Just the other day me a couple of buddies set it out at 20 yards. Played sow hysteria for a few minutes. We thought we where hearing an echo because the same sound was coming from our left. A sounder ran out, circled the caller and ran away. We were all standing there with our mouths open and safeties still "on". All at the same time said, "did you see that"!!
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #567
trophy8
Pope & Young

What’s the going rate right now for a lightly use pulsar trail xp50LRF? Under 300 shots.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #568
Russ81
Pope & Young

Some folks get excited when thereís a Amazon box at the cattle guard, me itís a Outdoor Legacy Gear box

DO NOT play your favorite Cody Jinks song in a small room with the bullet. Neon signs will burst from the walls, your coffee table becomes a bar and you spend the rest the night sweeping sawdust off the floor!

Old 06-13-2021, 08:29 AM   #569
Russ81
Pope & Young

Like many have have said, when the bullet works itís laser guided hogs. I need to work on which call sequence works here but this guy heard chow time and came hunting him a new sounder

Old 06-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #570
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Any of y'all played with the AGM micro 160 monocular as a scanner? Looks interesting to pair with a wraith or something of that nature for guys on the cheap. Or in my case used as a spotter to find the heat then confirm with rifle if it is pig deer cow etc. Or for final walk up after initial spot save the battery on the rifle scope for when it is actually needed.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #571
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Any of y'all played with the AGM micro 160 monocular as a scanner? Looks interesting to pair with a wraith or something of that nature for guys on the cheap. Or in my case used as a spotter to find the heat then confirm with rifle if it is pig deer cow etc. Or for final walk up after initial spot save the battery on the rifle scope for when it is actually needed.

I have the AGM Taipan TM15-384 and it works great. Can easily see and identify deer and hogs to beyond 300 yds. I have spotted deer that were bedded down while driving around out past 200. You have to have the truck window rolled down cause it don't see thru glass
One of the neatest things is you can look at feeders from 150yds away and tell how much corn is left in them. I don't see why the mini 160 won't work similar but you won't get as big a picture. Feeder at 150 and 2 doe at 100.
Attached Images

muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #572
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Found this picture the other and had forgot about it. Got lots of individuals that say 223 doesnít kill very well, or that you need perfect placement. These were 3 out of 7 that were recovered. The other 4 fell where we could leave them laying. 10 hogs in the sounder. 2 shooters, both of us shooting 75 Gr BTHP Hornady in tightish mesquite pasture. In an open field weíd have had opportunity to wipe all 10 out. Then again we may have missed too haha
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #573
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:

@tazhunter0 has one he uses/d with a Wraith on his PCP airgun.
Maybe he'll chime in.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #574
kkp005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Whatís the going rate right now for a lightly use pulsar trail xp50LRF? Under 300 shots.
If you can do without the LRF, Iíve got a thermion XG50 in the classifieds
Old 06-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #575
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
If you can do without the LRF, Iíve got a thermion XG50 in the classifieds
I own the trail.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #576
Russ81
Pope & Young

Maybe I should of gone big on the pic but hereís a cool screen shot I got of a storm over the gulf I caught last night after this boat caught these hands

Old 06-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #577
kkp005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I own the trail.
Well then you definitely need to upgrade to the XG50.. lol
Old 06-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #578
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Question for you folks running a bolt gun with a thermal for pigs. How many shots y'all usually average on a group? And what size mags y'all usually run assuming your using a dbm style rifle?

Curious how a .243 or .22-250 with a 10 rd aics mag would do with a thermal on top for big groups of pigs.

Old 06-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #579
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Question for you folks running a bolt gun with a thermal for pigs. How many shots y'all usually average on a group? And what size mags y'all usually run assuming your using a dbm style rifle?

Curious how a .243 or .22-250 with a 10 rd aics mag would do with a thermal on top for big groups of pigs.

Iíve run both a 22 Creed and a 6 Creed quite a bit. Iíve got 5 and 10 rounders. I usually just run the 5 round mags. Typically 5 shots gives me 3-4 dead hogs on the ground, but quite a few time s has given me 5. Half the time I swap mags during the shooting. Depending on the field I can sometimes use 6-8 rounds, but itís not typical and usually doesnít yield me better instant results. Lots of whollop at distance, but unless he drops right there we donít count it. We try to get 6-10 hogs on the ground per sounder we shoot on with 2 shooters. A bolt gun with thermal on top has kept me pulling my weight the same as my partner on typical nights.

They key to the bolt gun is patience. With the AR if I missed I had an instant follow up. I shot a LOT. With a bolt gun Iíve got to make my shots count. Typically I do.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:43 AM   #580
Russ81
Pope & Young

Iíve got some paracord lanyards for sale, great for thermal monoculars, Range finders or other small electronics. The Orange have a reflective in them to be easier to spot if a light is shined on them.

$20 to your door, thanks for looking!

Old 06-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #581
Russ81
Pope & Young

Have one solid orange one left, thanks Chrisp2012 and DUKFVR for your support!

Old 06-28-2021, 10:46 PM   #582
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Here is a quick video from a thermion XM50. Had the brother in law on it for the first 2 groups. He had fun to say the least haha Last group was me running the gun. Shooting .223 55 gr sp. Ended up with 6 in the truck for the night. Crunchy cut wheat and a bright moon made for tough stalks. Should have had more in the truck but was letting him play with the scope so did cost us some pigs but was still fun.

http://youtu.be/SiwGHu0Fy1Q

Last edited by westtexducks; 06-28-2021 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:57 PM   #583
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point

You guys like full power chocolate chips?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #584
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Here is a quick video from a thermion XM50. Had the brother in law on it for the first 2 groups. He had fun to say the least haha Last group was me running the gun. Shooting .223 55 gr sp. Ended up with 6 in the truck for the night. Crunchy cut wheat and a bright moon made for tough stalks. Should have had more in the truck but was letting him play with the scope so did cost us some pigs but was still fun.

http://youtu.be/SiwGHu0Fy1Q
Yall had a good night. Thanks for sharing.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #585
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

Picked up a Thermion XP50 couple of weeks ago and holy wow lol! I cant imagine how the clarity and pic could get any better. Awesome scope so far.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #586
jofus
Nubbin' Buck

Looks like the iRay alpha/bravo scopes could be coming soon:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRot4ADr...dium=copy_link
jofus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #587
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point

I have some L3 unfilmed white phosphor DTNVS and a spare bump helmet for sale for good deals in the classifieds if anyone is looking for some lightly used quality gear.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #588
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofus View Post
Looks like the iRay alpha/bravo scopes could be coming soon:
Yes sir we should have the first shipment this week with a few of them available. 3x base mag, internal video recording, American Defense QD mount and 5 year warranty. I'm not going to lie....the sniper gray color looks pretty dang cool.

iRay Bravo 384

iRay Bravo 384 - Back Order Deposit
Old 08-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #589
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes sir we should have the first shipment this week with a few of them available. 3x base mag, internal video recording, American Defense QD mount and 5 year warranty. I'm not going to lie....the sniper gray color looks pretty dang cool.

iRay Bravo 384

iRay Bravo 384 - Back Order Deposit
assuming no audio recording ?
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #590
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
assuming no audio recording ?
Correct. Only Pulsar has audio recording on a scope under $6,000.

(ATN might, I'm not sure but we don't include them in comparisons or consider them a viable option)
Old 08-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #591
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Iím not sure why I thought this was a good idea. Iíve been too busy to even breath this year much less spend any time killing. Guess Iíll see what this one is capable of though.

Name:  AA956057-8208-4795-92EF-6C864A20B6AD.jpeg
Views: 246
Size:  171.2 KB
Old 08-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #592
rossivey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Iím not sure why I thought this was a good idea. Iíve been too busy to even breath this year much less spend any time killing. Guess Iíll see what this one is capable of though.

Attachment 1059193
I know the feeling. Bought my Thermion in February and havenít used it but on the back porch.
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 09:12 PM   #593
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossivey View Post
I know the feeling. Bought my Thermion in February and havenít used it but on the back porch.
The past few years Iíve been hunting a ton. I was still hunting solid up until March this year. Since March I havenít been on a field. It was too wet all of April and may, and oilfield has had a temporary uptick along with short handed. Iíve spent more time in Houston recently than back in WTX. The Thermion has already got its money worth. This XP50 LRF2 still has to earn its keep lol
Old 08-17-2021, 09:47 PM   #594
RMW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Down South

Got a voicemail today from Outdoor legacy saying my helion 2 xp pro came in, they were on backorder. Can’t wait to use it, just wish it wasn’t so dang humid at night.
RMW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #595
duckmanep
Pope & Young

got the itch to go last weekend. went on a quick hunt and only seen 1.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #596
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Got a voicemail today from Outdoor legacy saying my helion 2 xp pro came in, they were on backorder. Canít wait to use it, just wish it wasnít so dang humid at night.
I am jealous my friend.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2021, 10:59 PM   #597
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Got a voicemail today from Outdoor legacy saying my helion 2 xp pro came in, they were on backorder. Canít wait to use it, just wish it wasnít so dang humid at night.
Ya but it's still sooo good!ha! Thank you sir, we appreciate your business.

Jason
Old 08-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #598
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Love my IRAY Riko 384. Best 384 image on the market. And I paid $3,000 out the door with the QD mount. It was 1 month old
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #599
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Love my IRAY Riko 384. Best 384 image on the market. And I paid $3,000 out the door with the QD mount. It was 1 month old
My hunting buddy was given a RICO 640 the other day. He also has a Trijicon MK3 60mm and REAP 35mm. Iíve got an Thermion XG and Trail XP50 LRF2. Not sure if we will have any time to hunt tomorrow, but Iím going to be on a well near his ranch tomorrow night. Iím taking mine, and plan on comparing them to his side by side for at least a few minutes. I donít really care to compare them to the Trijicons, but I sure am interested to see how that RICO stacks up. I donít think heís played with it yet.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #600
RMW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Down South

Quote:
Ya but it's still sooo good!ha! Thank you sir, we appreciate your business.

Jason
Thank you sir for helping me decide on which handheld I needed, such great help answering all my questions. I try to buy all my thermal scopes from you, thanks again.

Ryan
RMW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top