No announcement yet.

2021 Summer Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to roll the dice and see if I could get a second warm season crop out of a couple of my plots. Planted “green” and crimped afterwards. Got 0.7” on it yesterday so fingers crossed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EDCB79A1-1F79-4A18-BB27-6FE0924BB3C0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	24653972

Name:	9497C7AF-BB10-422B-8923-A73D0F799856.jpeg
Size:	973.7 KB
ID:	24653973

Name:	AB19A2E0-3E85-464A-960C-1250168096A3.jpg
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	24653974

Comment

Is that in an effort to build more organic matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
        Is that in an effort to build more organic matter?
        Add Organic matter on what was mostly a gravel hill, control erosion, cycle nutrients, and conserve moisture as these rocky hillsides bake fast without ground cover.

Hope to build up the soil and make it a great plot as it is in a really good spot.

Comment

I got amazing germination…… but 3 weeks of non stop rain and clouds left them stunted and about 6” tall. Deer finally found them before they got big enough to make it. Pretty much wiped me out and now the &$&% crab grass has come in. So this year is a wash. I could salvage but ain’t got time

I’ll grow crab grass and spray it for fall plots

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            I got amazing germination…… but 3 weeks of non stop rain and clouds left them stunted and about 6” tall. Deer finally found them before they got big enough to make it. Pretty much wiped me out and now the &$&% crab grass has come in. So this year is a wash. I could salvage but ain’t got time

I’ll grow crab grass and spray it for fall plots

I'm in the same boat. Planted in a drought and then 4 weeks later a third of my field is under water. Was able to reseed in some of the muddier areas and then got a rain break, and I had good germination of the vetch and clover.

E-fence was hot when I left it, so hopefully I can get something out of it next month.

Comment

June 25 and we hope to finish " spring " planting this weekend. Nonstop rain April thru early June caused my latest planting ever. Will say that what's planted a week ago is coming on fast. Will be interesting experiment.

For another experiment we are drilling a light dose of sunflower, okra, milo, sorghum, buckwheat and pearl millet into existing perennial clover fields. The idea is to get some deeper rooted plants growing, absorb the nitrogen and have plants available as the clover thins out later in the summer. Course it could also be a total failure as well. TBD

Comment

Millet did real well in one of the dove plots with sunflowers and milo no shows. Think I am going to start lightly discing a few rows every other week or so

Name:	ED00015A-0CB9-46FE-A73F-A25D21942E87.jpg
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	24654567

Comment

Soybeans are looking real good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                    Soybeans are looking real good.

Looks great. Are they eating them up? Cowpeas are getting hammered here lately.

Comment

I am curious about the radishes, I assume the deer eat the greens, but do they or hogs eat the bulb? I wonder why they include a bulb type plant, with some of the foot plot mixes. Makes me think that possibly deer, more likely pigs would go after those.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        I am curious about the radishes, I assume the deer eat the greens, but do they or hogs eat the bulb? I wonder why they include a bulb type plant, with some of the foot plot mixes. Makes me think that possibly deer, more likely pigs would go after those.
                        At least one of the reasons is to add organic matter to the soil and breaking up the ground.

Comment

We use radish to break up the hardpan and return nutrients to the top soil

Comment

My plot sucks!!!

Its green and tall but mostly WGS and millet.

The peas and soybeans did not grow. So very little action in my plot

Comment

My beans are pretty much done.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post

My beans are pretty much done.

How did you like the eagle soybeans? I have always wanted to try them. Did you order them or pick them up locally?

Comment

Working...
                                X