Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #651
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
I have the same as you: XP50.
I work the focus on mine quite a bit but I am also trying to capture the best video quality........ maybe it is just my eyes lol.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #652
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
Have you used a Thermion? Not being a smart *****, legitimately asking the question. It would seem that something is different about the Thermions that need it to be focused more. To your point I remember Jason saying on an old late night vision show that on the trails, you could set the focus and it woul be good for 50 yards to (if my memory serves me correctly) 400 yards which is pretty impressive so in that instance I would agree with your statement. My only point is that there seems to be something different about the thermions that needs a focusable objective lense. I know I work mine quite a bit in my XP50 and my buddies XG50 to get the best picture possible so we can make sure we are ID animals accurately so we dont make a expensive mistake.
On the xm50 I used over new years I set the focus once because it was way outta whack at beginning of the night and didn't touch it again. The fixed focus doesn't scare me off of it if detection range is 1500 or so yds is all I want and need.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #653
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
I work the focus on mine quite a bit but I am also trying to capture the best video quality........ maybe it is just my eyes lol.
That's the kicker. I don't care about video quality if I can tell it's a pig and shoot it is all I really want.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #654
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Pulsar just dropped the Thermion XM30 this maybe the new conteder for the entry level market guys it looks like. And it includes video recording and all the fun stuff the big boy thermions have at $2300.

You got to play with one of these yet Jason? How does it compare the the hogster 35?

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/collec...32632890720330

Well I ended up ordering this and should be here today. Jason and Hans have the review out on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #655
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
Well I ended up ordering this and should be here today. Jason and Hans have the review out on YouTube.

Not my cup of tea. BUT, this looks to be a great entry level thermal for alot of people.

320 core, but I love the 3.5 x initial zoom
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #656
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Not my cup of tea. BUT, this looks to be a great entry level thermal for alot of people.

320 core, but I love the 3.5 x initial zoom

Well Iím new to this game and was having a hard time deciding what to get at a price I could afford. Hopefully this is my cup of tea.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #657
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well Iím new to this game and was having a hard time deciding what to get at a price I could afford. Hopefully this is my cup of tea.

If you have never used thermal before, you will love it!

As time goes on and you see other scopes, you may wanna upgrade. Just be prepared lol

I see it all the time
Old 01-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #658
Wiederhold
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baylor, Parker, Burleson, and Lee

Quote:
If you have never used thermal before, you will love it!

As time goes on and you see other scopes, you may wanna upgrade. Just be prepared lol

I see it all the time
I totally agree with this. Unfortunately, I used a Trijicon Reap 60mm for my first to ever look through so I had to go with a 640 resolution. I've heard the buy once, cry once and now that the money's gone, I don't regret it.
Wiederhold is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #659
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiederhold View Post
I totally agree with this. Unfortunately, I used a Trijicon Reap 60mm for my first to ever look through so I had to go with a 640 resolution. I've heard the buy once, cry once and now that the money's gone, I don't regret it.
100% agree! I also run a Reap as my first ever thermal and haven't looked back since. And haven't upgraded scopes like most of my buddies
Old 01-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #660
KNP16
Six Point

Quote:

Does he compare this scope to the Hogster or just the original Core?
KNP16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #661
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNP16 View Post
Does he compare this scope to the Hogster or just the original Core?

Doesnít do a compare, just an overall review of the scope

Old 01-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #662
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Hey fellas, sorry I havenít been around, just been absolutely swamped in the office and we were without internet in our office for the first 3 days of the week due to the snow storm, so itís been a wild week. Just a FYI if you are looking to buy or back order or have pre-purchase advice always call or email us. Itís the quickest way to get info and weíre glad to help. Phone number is 877-350-1818 and you can email via the Contact Us form on the website. https://outdoorlegacygear.com

I only have a sec and Iíll be glad to come back later and answer any other questions that yíall might have. As for the Thermion XM30 we released our full podcast review of it today. Iíll link to that below. This scope doesnít need to be compared to the Hogster 25, Hogster 35 or the soon to come AGM Rattlers (yíall are going to like them!) nor does it need to be compared the Super Hogster. Here is why. The XM30 is a 3.5x and a fixed focus. It canít be fairly compared to the 3x Super Hogster because itís focus-able. They are different classes of thermal and Pulsar has no intentions of competing with the Super Hogster with this release. Apples and oranges. The Super Hogster competes with the Thermion XQ38 for $3,299. Listen to Ep137 of The Late Night Vision Show for that.) The Hogster 25 is 1.4x and the Hogster 35 is 2x. Those have a totally different usage than a XM30 at 3.5x. Just because two optics are a similar price doesnít mean they can me fairly compared. A shoved and a rake are both garden tools and cost about the same amount but you need the right tool for the job. Same thing here. I know that sounds funny but itís true!The worst mistake people make when buying thermal is buying because it fits their price range and they like the brand, features, size or whatever reasons they come up with. What you NEED to know is if the scope magnification and image quality fit YOUR specific needs and your budget. But I digress.ha!

So with all that said, the Thermion XM30 is a unique animal because no other quality thermal scope under $3800 has a 3.5x base mag. As our review said, itís awesome for guys needing the higher magnification and yes, you give up image quality by choosing the XM30 over a Hogster or Rattler but you gain magnification to make longer shots easier than you would with the low magnification scopes just mentioned.

I hope that sheds a little light on the situation for now. This is a great entry level thermal with a higher base magnification.

Also, we had a very large amount of these scopes in the warehouse before the release. Us and another good online dealer weíre given exclusive access to the scope before the release for testing and we both received a large early shipment. We believed we had enough scopes for at least 2 weeks of sales, so we recorded the podcast the night before the release and said the XM30 was in stock. We sold out in less than 5 hours on the day of the release and we had a podcast ready to drop today saying they were in stock. Ugh! Nothing we could do.

We are taking limited back orders and weíll probably stop soon. We believe the wait times could get long on this optic pretty quickly.

Hope that helps a little!

Jason
Outdoor Legacy
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #663
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Sorry Iím on mobile and cant get the YouTube video posted correctly right now.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #664
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Well said Jason!
Old 01-14-2021, 01:50 PM   #665
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Is there anyway yall can move from 45 minute infomercials to quick 5-10 minute run down videos? I don't have time to sit and watch 2 guys BS for an hour just to get some quick gritty details.

Do yall have any video of it. Do yall have any footage of pigs with it yet? Gotten any footage of shooting anything with it yet? Even just a video of the back yard? What are your realistic expectations for detection ranges? Do yall honestly think the fixed focal will be an issue? What range is the fixed focal optimized for? Etc...

Here is the podcast FYI if any one wants to watch it and give a synopsis.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #666
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Is there anyway yall can move from 45 minute infomercials to quick 5-10 minute run down videos? I don't have time to sit and watch 2 guys BS for an hour just to get some quick gritty details.

Do yall have any video of it. Do yall have any footage of pigs with it yet? Gotten any footage of shooting anything with it yet? Even just a video of the back yard? What are your realistic expectations for detection ranges? Do yall honestly think the fixed focal will be an issue? What range is the fixed focal optimized for? Etc...

Ep. 141 | Pulsar Thermion XM30 *REVIEW* - YouTube

If you can take the time to pick up the phone and call them, they can walk you through what you want to know and make a recommendation based on your needs. They arenít high pressure salesmen.
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #667
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:

I like the guys, and with all due respect I agree with this 100%

Just a good, solid, unbiased review without all of the 2 men talking lol
Old 01-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #668
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mismatched camo

Quote:
I don't have time to sit and watch 2 guys BS for an hour just to get some quick gritty details.
Dude you live in the armpit of Texas. Just put that chit on in the car while you're driving down the road and give it a listen.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #669
kruppa24
Pope & Young

I received the xm30 today just need to get off work so I can check it out.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #670
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
Dude you live in the armpit of Texas. Just put that chit on in the car while you're driving down the road and give it a listen.
Dude I live 10 minutes from my office, and dude I just don't want to listen to a couple dudes BS for 45 minutes of my life ever. I don't do podcasts. Short sweet to the point that is all that is necessary for a scope review. 15 minutes tops and even that is getting long. I would venture a bet that the first 10 minutes don't even have any decent content, literally just them talking about nothing.

No offense to anyone and I am sure there is good content buried in the middle somewhere and I appreciate the feed back on here from the guys but these 45 minute reviews are ridiculous.

Last edited by westtexducks; 01-14-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #671
offthemap
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston, Anderson, Cherokee, Smith, Knox, Foard

https://www.burrisoptics.com/thermal...mal-riflescope

Thoughts on the specs for the BTS 50? My budget is $3k and saw these were just released
offthemap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #672
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Quote:
Dude I live 10 minutes from my office, and dude I just don't want to listen to a couple dudes BS for 45 minutes of my life ever. I don't do podcasts. Short sweet to the point that is all that is necessary for a scope review. 15 minutes tops and even that is getting long. I would venture a bet that the first 10 minutes don't even have any decent content, literally just them talking about nothing.

No offense to anyone and I am sure there is good content buried in the middle somewhere and I appreciate the feed back on here from the guys but these 45 minute reviews are ridiculous.
I agree, two guys talking for 45 minutes does nothing for me. A lot of men are Visual, at least put some actual footage of how it shows Animals in the dark and in the field, play around with the settings and different angles and distances to keep the brain activities flowing, otherwise it's redundant and boring in my opinion as well.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #673
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
I agree, two guys talking for 45 minutes does nothing for me. A lot of men are Visual, at least put some actual footage of how it shows Animals in the dark and in the field, play around with the settings and different angles and distances to keep the brain activities flowing, otherwise it's redundant and boring in my opinion as well.

Hans typically does a review like this on his YouTube channel. Normally 10-15 minutes long. It should be out soon.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #674
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthemap View Post
https://www.burrisoptics.com/thermal...mal-riflescope

Thoughts on the specs for the BTS 50? My budget is $3k and saw these were just released
My thoughts are stick with the big name brands who have been doing this. Look at the new XM30. Pulsar is hands down the best in the $2300-4000 range IMO

Buy the best you can squeeze out of your budget. You won't regret it
Old 01-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #675
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Got the new xm30 mounted today. Gonna sight her in tomorrow and maybe hunt tomorrow night

Old 01-15-2021, 09:55 PM   #676
rossivey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

Yall are giving me the itch with all these Thermions. Hopefully I get the call from Outdoor Legacy this next week that I'm next in line for the XQ38 I ordered.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2021, 09:20 PM   #677
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:

It's 2021... people like podcasts and shows like this. It's a form of entertainment for many. No one said you had to like it or listen to it, but there is a reason they have many followers and they seem to be doing well for themselves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #678
gingib
Pope & Young

Curious what the N-vision scope coming out today is

I hope its onboard recording, BUT I don't think it will be.

One day someone will figure out the onboard recording for Nvision/Trijicon for that core
Old 01-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #679
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:

One day someone will figure out the onboard recording for Nvision/Trijicon for that core
Yea. It's interesting how Pulsar was able to figure it out for that core but nobody else has.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #680
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:

Definitely seems like onboard recording. They had another teaser post that alluded to it.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #681
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Yea. It's interesting how Pulsar was able to figure it out for that core but nobody else has.
Pulsar hasnít figured it out for the BAE core. The XG only has a BAE sensor and not core.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #682
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post

Pulsar hasnít figured it out for the BAE core. The XG only has a BAE sensor and not core.
From Outdoor Legacy Gear's website, what am I missing?

"Pulsar utilized the high end BAE 640x480 12 micron thermal core in the XG50 and also found a way to include all the standard Thermion features. Never before has a BAE thermal core been used in a scope that included internal video and audio recording, automatic and semi-automatic calibration (often called NUC'ing), picture in picture feature, removable and rechargeable battery packs, a smart phone streaming app, color pallets and more. The BAE 640 12 micron core is the highest quality and sought after thermal core available for US citizens and has been used for years by both Trijicon and N-Vision, in their high end optics. But until now, no one had been able to create a full featured scope while utilizing this amazing thermal core."
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #683
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
From Outdoor Legacy Gear's website, what am I missing?

"Pulsar utilized the high end BAE 640x480 12 micron thermal core in the XG50 and also found a way to include all the standard Thermion features. Never before has a BAE thermal core been used in a scope that included internal video and audio recording, automatic and semi-automatic calibration (often called NUC'ing), picture in picture feature, removable and rechargeable battery packs, a smart phone streaming app, color pallets and more. The BAE 640 12 micron core is the highest quality and sought after thermal core available for US citizens and has been used for years by both Trijicon and N-Vision, in their high end optics. But until now, no one had been able to create a full featured scope while utilizing this amazing thermal core."
A simple mistake. Ask Jason directly. At first it was rumored it was a BAE core, but itís actually only the sensor. Per Outdoor Legacy on another post he has the exact same quotation but with the word sensor instead of core. Personally Iíd check the actual manufacturer for specifications before a dealer.

Name:  800F9DB3-7283-4EA5-94B5-6DCC1A5A2FE2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  114.7 KB
Name:  275C3009-FE03-4440-8199-EAEC68CBD1D1.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  88.5 KB
Old 01-18-2021, 11:11 AM   #684
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:

I think it is going to have recording and LRF. They made a post on their FB page day before yesterday asking what you would rather have, video recording or LRF? I assume their answer to their own question is going to be both.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #685
Lip
Ten Point

Default The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Quote:
Personally Iíd check the actual manufacturer for specifications before a dealer.

Attachment 1036918
Attachment 1036919

I did a quick search on Pulsars page and evidently missed it so I went to Outdoor Legacyís site.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #686
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
I did a quick search on Pulsars page and evidently missed it so I went to Outdoor Legacyís site.

Not a problem. Itís still a pretty common rumor, and unless you really dig itís kind of hard to catch.

Iím out on this one though.
Name:  163C3D0A-E10B-4F7C-A45E-52DE56FA24D6.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  97.8 KB
Old 01-18-2021, 02:58 PM   #687
gingib
Pope & Young

MAN THEY DID IT!!!!

Which tells me Trijicon is not entirely dedicated to thermal scopes. Or else they would have already done it.

As the story has been, it was not possible with a BAE core
Old 01-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #688
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
MAN THEY DID IT!!!!
Pulsar has me spoiled I guess. I'm not paying $10,000 for something the Trail 2 LRF gets done for $5,999. You could buy a whole 'nother thermal with that difference in price. Hard pass.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:04 PM   #689
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Pulsar has me spoiled I guess. I'm not paying $10,000 for something the Trail 2 LRF gets done for $5,999. You could buy a whole 'nother thermal with that difference in price. Hard pass.

For some, that image is everything and they're willing and able to pay $10K for one scope. For others, not so much. I went with the "buy a whole 'nother thermal with that difference in price. I chose to have two that I can kill with as opposed to one with the sharper image. One for the AR and one to use as a scanner that I can occasionally share with someone who's hunting with me. I sold both of my thermals and updating soon to a Thermion XQ38 & Hogster R 2X but using a Wraith 2X in the gap. Wraith will probably end up being a house scope so the family can see what's "out there" while we're hunting with the thermals and a daytime scope for when I do daytime calling.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:36 AM   #690
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeah $7500-8500 is steep! Pretty much a Reap quality scope with recording and battery

I like the image better on the Thermion over the Trail. I hate the stupid LRF.

Just not practical or something I need. Just an excuse to raise price $500

Last edited by gingib; 01-19-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #691
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
For some, that image is everything and they're willing and able to pay $10K for one scope.
I'm quite familiar with the image quality produced by the BAE core. I've compared them side by side. It's not better than the Thermion XP50 in any meaningful way that matters, at least to me, in the field.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #692
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
I like the image better on the Thermion over the Trail. I hate the stupid LRF.
Just not practical or something I need. Just an excuse to raise price $500
Funny . . . different strokes I guess. I regret selling my LRF! It was so nice, especially on coyotes that wouldn't respond to the call, to know exactly what my holdover needed to be at distance. The LRF combined with Pulsar's FFP reticles was awesome.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #693
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Anyone been checking out the Iray Rico?
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #694
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Funny . . . different strokes I guess. I regret selling my LRF! It was so nice, especially on coyotes that wouldn't respond to the call, to know exactly what my holdover needed to be at distance. The LRF combined with Pulsar's FFP reticles was awesome.
Yep. Some days I regret leaving the LRF. On hogs the most we use it for is judging our stalk. Not a deal break at all. On coyotes it definitely can be. Sometimes itís hard to tell if they hung up at 200 or 300.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #695
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
Anyone been checking out the Iray Rico?
No, but I really want to.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #696
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
For some, that image is everything and they're willing and able to pay $10K for one scope. For others, not so much. I went with the "buy a whole 'nother thermal with that difference in price. I chose to have two that I can kill with as opposed to one with the sharper image. One for the AR and one to use as a scanner that I can occasionally share with someone who's hunting with me. I sold both of my thermals and updating soon to a Thermion XQ38 & Hogster R 2X but using a Wraith 2X in the gap. Wraith will probably end up being a house scope so the family can see what's "out there" while we're hunting with the thermals and a daytime scope for when I do daytime calling.
Some people need the added maginificatino also, there is a big difference between 2x and 3.5x IMO. I typically hunt within 100 yards so the premium doesnt make sense for the hunting I do.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #697
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm quite familiar with the image quality produced by the BAE core. I've compared them side by side. It's not better than the Thermion XP50 in any meaningful way that matters, at least to me, in the field.
I have had my Thermion XP50 and a Trijicon MK3 side by side and I think the Trijicon has a significantly better picture. I have never looked through an N Vision but from what I have heard on the late night vision show they think the Nvision Halo LR has a slightly better picture than the MK3.

With all that said, it still wasnt worth the cost increase to me over a Thermion XP50.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #698
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
I have had my Thermion XP50 and a Trijicon MK3 side by side and I think the Trijicon has a significantly better picture. I have never looked through an N Vision but from what I have heard on the late night vision show they think the Nvision Halo LR has a slightly better picture than the MK3.

With all that said, it still wasnt worth the cost increase to me over a Thermion XP50.
Iíve had an XP38, XP50, and now have an XG50. At any given time Iíve had access to a full assortment of higher end thermal and NV optics including the MK3 and others. I fully agree with your statement that the Trijicon has a significantly better picture. Most instances itís not of much benefit, but occasionally it is. Like when weíre IDing animals on opposite ends of a very large wheat field. It saves us significant amounts of time we can be using to kill elsewhere.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #699
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iíve had an XP38, XP50, and now have an XG50. At any given time Iíve had access to a full assortment of higher end thermal and NV optics including the MK3 and others. I fully agree with your statement that the Trijicon has a significantly better picture. Most instances itís not of much benefit, but occasionally it is. Like when weíre IDing animals on opposite ends of a very large wheat field. It saves us significant amounts of time we can be using to kill elsewhere.
YES me too. It is far better.

But it boils down to is it worth it? I bought my REAP brand new for $6300ish out the door years back. Can't shake a stick at that.

My only issues with continuing to upgrade, is the idea of losing money selling used. UNLESS you are buying them at cost with no tax

I am very intrigued with the Thermion for my next scope, whenver that day comes.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:50 PM   #700
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
IMO to justify the cost you got to be hunting several large fields a night to justify the cost......... or if you have the money and just want the best picture availible. I wish I was in that category lol.