Petrified wood ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petrified wood ID

Anyone know what type of petrified wood this is? I’ve found a few large chunks and lots of small ones and am curious to know! Southern Texas 30 miles southwest of sa
    Attached Files

I don’t know much about petrified wood, but are those burn marks? That would be pretty rare I would think. Evidence of a forest fire maybe tens of thousands of years ago. Hopefully someone who knows this stuff will chime in

Comment

I’ve got no clue. But, how much do you reckon those pieces weigh? Cool finds.

Comment

Is it really petrified? That’s a cool find if so. Definitely was burnt at one time

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          I don’t know much about petrified wood, but are those burn marks? That would be pretty rare I would think. Evidence of a forest fire maybe tens of thousands of years ago. Hopefully someone who knows this stuff will chime in
          I’m not too sure several of the pieces Ive found have black marks like that but I would like to know!

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
            I’ve got no clue. But, how much do you reckon those pieces weigh? Cool finds.
            This one is probably a little over 100 pounds. The largest one I found i can barley roll it over so I’m guessing that one is a couple hundred pounds

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Is it really petrified? That’s a cool find if so. Definitely was burnt at one time
              It’s for sure petrified wood I am curious to know what type of tree it came from!

Comment

Those burns are just surface burns, maybe 50 to 1000 yrs ago. It looks like cypress

Comment

Originally posted by josepht View Post
                  It’s for sure petrified wood I am curious to know what type of tree it came from!
                  The texture looks like Cypress to me, but 30 miles south of SA I’m guessing I’m wrong. Perhaps a big old cedar. I hope you get 100% confirmation

Comment

Could be Palm.

Comment

That’s really awesome

Comment

I have a few pieces that have black marks like that. Those all came out of the creek.

Our place is loaded with it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a piece that my dad found near Llano back in the 80s.
                          It's about 1/3 that size and I thought it was BIG.

I don't know what that is, besides AWESOME!

Comment

Cypress

Comment

Looks kind of like Palm wood. Texas state stone. Post a photo of the ends if you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X