Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is high FOC arrow setups really all that great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is high FOC arrow setups really all that great?

Hello everyone I've been looking to setup some new arrows for my Mathews V3X 33/70 lbs. I've been shooting FMJ 340s with 100 gr fixed and mechanical broadheads at about 478 grs total for years and they always blow through animals no problem. So my question is going with a lower gr per inch arrow and putting more weight up front to get more FOC, is that really going to be beneficial for accuracy and penetration? I seems this high FOC thing is all the rage, I'm just wondering if it's really worth it in the end. Any insight or experiences on the matter I'd appreciate it.

For me i wanted better penetration potential. I switched my arrow build from a max weight of 420 grains, 7 grains per lb of draw weight.
    Now I build for min 20% FOC I would love to have a 200 grain broadhead but I can't buy those OTC. So I use 125 grain head and add weight behind insert.

I haven't shot much in the last couple of years. So I haven't needed new arrows. I THINK they're weighing 520 grains.

I have no way to quantify if they heavier arrows are better than the others. I believe they are so....
    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 03-04-2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

This past year I changed my arrow setup for a trip to Africa. I went to a smaller diameter arrow but that was about 1 grain per inch heavier. I added an additional 75 grains of weight to the front which up my over arrow weight up about 115 grains from my original setups (went from 435 grains to 550 grains. I didn't want to trash my other arrows but also didn't want to have to adjust sights to use the old arrows. So I went through Ethics Archery and got sleeved weighted inserts for the lighter arrows to get them up to equal weight. Now with both arrows sets weight the same (but with with a little lighter shaft weight and little higher FOC on one of them) I've gotten blow throughs with all shots so far. On my Africa hunt hunt I used fixed blades and each shot was true with no erratic flight or having to adjust the sight any from field point shots. I'm getting deeper penetration in my target with the old shafts that I added extra weight onto up front. I can't say if that's from the added FOC or the just added weight to the shaft. I'm a firm believer now though on a heavier arrow and atleast 17% FOC. You loose some forgiveness if you misjudge a distance so if I go elk hunting or such where I might need to guess distance on the fly I might go back to a little lighter arrow. But even with the added 115 grains my distances out to 90 yards didn't really suffer that much. I think there is a line though where you over do the FOC and it limits you on longer shots without added equal benefit especially if you are getting passthroughs with what you have and your arrows are flying true.

Comment

Personally I get better arrow flight. I was shooting a similar set up to yours, Hexx 330 with 50gr. inserts and 100gr. for 430gr. TAW. I switched to HEXX 260, 125gr. inserts and 100gr. heads. I am coming in around 545gr. TAW. What I noticed is more penetration, yes, but also better arrow flight. What I suspect is higher FOC setups overcame the very minor tune issues my bow has. Now, I would say my bow is in tune. It shoots perfect holes bare shaft and bare shafts fly the same/hit the same spot as fletched arrows. But if you really get down to it, it is almost impossible to tune a bow PERFECTLY. The high FOC fixes the issues.

Comment

For whitetails, a 425/450 grain arrow that flies well is hard to improve on. If you’re hunting bigger, tougher animals you would be better served with a heavier arrow with 15%/20% foc.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

A greater FOC adds to the penetration of an arrow (momentum). A heavier FOC arrow will handle wind better and be more stable for longer range shots (40 yds. and longer).

I only shoot a 50# compound, but I use a 525 total weight arrow. This aids in getting better penetration than shooting a lighter faster arrow with less penetration. The heavier arrow will absorb more bow energy which should in turn produce a quieter shooting bow.

Read some of Dr. Steve Ashby's research on FOC and apply the principle to your bow/arrow set up. I do not advocate extreme FOC for North American game other than maybe polar bear or nilgai.

Comment

Higher foc is great as long as you have perfect arrow flight. Does no good to have 20% and crappy arrow flight, shoot as heavy as your comfortable with and tune your setup.

Here’s a example for you with the benefits of a higher foc and weight.

My dad was shooting 60 lbs and Beman arrows with standard inserts and rages. Getting pass throughs on deer and pigs. His shoulders started bothering him so we got him a 50 lb bow; tried to convince him to get heavier arrows with more foc and he wouldn’t believe me, but Atleast he was shooting a Magnus. After he shot 2 deer with 0 penetratiion he let me build him a set of arrows with a total of 175 up front. Believe he’s at 450ish gr now, (380 before). This past deer season he shot a doe with a crazy sharp Magnus stinger and the arrow never slowed down and went about 10 yards past her

He was at the point of going strictly crossbow because of the 2 deer before and now he’s got his confidence back

Comment

A high FOC cant be all bad

Comment

I went from 425 grains total weight to 540 grains roughly 20% FOC. I have perfect arrow flight, I tuned my bow and nock tuned all arrows while bare shaft tuning. I got a quieter bow and have yet to not get a pass through since switching and that includes on hogs as well as deer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Heavy arrows are great for shorter hunting situations. If your hunting timber or making longer shots (elk hunting) you will want a flatter shooting setup. I compromised on my setup so I didn't have to go back/forth but building an arrow that's around 460 total grains with an FOC right around the 15% mark. I sat at the archery shop and we weighed vanes and nocks to reduce the back end weight as much as possible. I'm shooting Easton Axis 5mm and the QAD Exodus and only had 1 arrow that flew wonky v. the field point flight. I don't remember what brand nock or vane though

Comment

I was once an Ashby kool-aid drinker. I ran a site on Facebook called high momentum. They kicked me out. hahaha

Over the last few years, I started looking into FOC. FOC is nothing more than a measurement and a half of an equation. So it's nothing. We should be looking at the center of gravity and the center of pressure because that is what it is. It's all about arrow stabilization.

Now, what about penetration? No study shows FOC increases penetration in a COMPOUND BOW.

1-increase the KE
                        2- different broadhead
                        3-increase mass.
                        In that order.

I still use FOC for tuning. If you are going to shoot a fixed broadhead, I recommend a 15% minimum and no reason ever to need more than 20%. This is strictly for arrow stabilization.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                          No study shows FOC increases penetration in a COMPOUND BOW.

1-increase the KE
                          2- different broadhead
                          3-increase mass.
                          In that order.
                          No study shows that but by adding weight you are increasing mass and KE. In my case I went from the measly aluminum insert to a 200 grain insert bring my FOC from next to nothing to between 19 & 20% adding mass in the process

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                            No study shows that but by adding weight you are increasing mass and KE. In my case I went from the measly aluminum insert to a 200 grain insert bring my FOC from next to nothing to between 19 & 20% adding mass in the process

sure that is why I stated KE and mass.

now let's look at it another way. FOC is really the center of gravity. but look at the definition of FOC. "FOC describes the percentage of the arrow’s total weight that is located in the front half of the arrow."

now we can say by increasing FOC we have increased total arrow weight. means we have increased mass and KE.

now what happens if we build two arrows identical except one has a greater amount of FOC. will the higher FOC out penetrate the lower FOC being shot from a compound bow. Not from what I have seen nor has it been tested.

so, what increased your penetration. the 20% FOC or the 200gr you added for an increase in total arrow weight?
                            Last edited by enewman; 03-08-2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                              sure that is why I stated KE and mass.

now let's look at it another way. FOC is really the center of gravity. but look at the definition of FOC. "FOC describes the percentage of the arrow’s total weight that is located in the front half of the arrow."

now we can say by increasing FOC we have increased total arrow weight. means we have increased mass and KE.

now what happens if we build two arrows identical except one has a greater amount of FOC. will the higher FOC out penetrate the lower FOC being shot from a compound bow. Not from what I have seen nor has it been tested.

so, what increased your penetration. the 20% FOC or the 200gr you added for an increase in total arrow weight?
                              Obviously the increase in total weight. The weight being forward simply aided in stable arrow flight of nock tuned bare shafts thus aiding in perfect flight with my fixed heads

Comment

Working...
                              X