Backcountry Tipi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backcountry Tipi

Anyone use tipi's? Looking at a 12 person Seek outside with a stove for some Alaska hunts. Any reviews or advise on any others?

12 person with a stove would probably be ok for 4 with gear I would bet. Maybe could get one more in there. The smaller 3-4 man are really nice. For 1-2 with gear. Stove keeps the moisture on the walls down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would look at Kifaru, they are tough to beat

Comment

I suspect that a 12 person teepee aint back country gear worth sloggin unless on a month long hunt. A couple dudes here…and there…inside the bear fence.

DiamondX seems to have it dialed.

Comment

Seek Outside Redcliff here. We can cram 4 guys and a stove in there but it’s tight, 3 and a stove is tight but more doable. 2 is perfect, or 3 with no stove.
          Attached Files

Comment

What are y'all's thoughts on the flourless tipi vs a 4 season tent? The hunts I go on are fly in hunts so we generally will not be carrying it too far but weight is always a concern on the plane.

Comment

Personal preference. A ground tarp can always be added/removed and is nice for when the ground is dusty. I don’t mind floorless at all, weight savings is important to us (hence the lightweight version) as we’ve carried our shelter 4-5 miles in some cases. I will start bringing 1-2 small mouse traps for the little SOBs that sometimes get in and run around all night.

Comment

Most tents you can remove the rainfly from the tent itself. My Hilleberg does that, as does MSR and stone glacier. It basically gives you a three season shelter if you do rainfly only.

My previous tent was 2 lbs (Hilleberg). Sucks hauling it in, but very nice to be in. This years tent is 8 ounces. I can report back after September 12 when I return on if it was worth it.

Comment

I have the 12 person seek outside tipi. Bought it for back country hunts in colorado. Needed a tent that would lighten the load on the pack horses. We chose one big tent vs several smaller tents for a couple of reasons: weight and space. A lot of people don't give much thought to rain. It is nice to hangout as a group and play dominoes vs being confined to individual tents. We sleep 5 relativley comfortably, but 6 would be max with full gear. I have the wall liners to keep the moisture off everything. Floorless is fine for the areas we hunt, but you can get the floors if needed. I don't run a stove, instead we bring a small coleman two burner propane stove for heat and cooking. We sleep 3 guys on one side and 2 on the other, then keep the center open lane open for getting around. The tipis are fast to throw up with only one pole and tall enough to not fill confined. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

I think the main thing with the tipi in Alaska would be wind more than anything else. If it is in an open area there could be a problem with the higher profile.

Comment

Due to thier shape and no flat sides, they actually have a higher wind rating than most conventional tents.

Comment

I have one of the kifaru and they work well but are much more expensive then the Seek outside. I know a guy with the big seek outside and he loves it and it has held up well, would not hesitate to buy one.

Comment

I have a seek outside 8 man that I've used a ton in Colorado and Texas. For sure not something you're going to throw in a pack and haul, but would be good with horses. I have a half floor that I'll sometimes use, but floorless is no big deal. I also have the wall liners that I've yet to use.

The 8 man is perfect for 2 guys with big cots and plenty of hangout room. A stove will keep it very warm inside, but they burn through wood pretty quickly and will cool down much quicker than a big wall tent stove.

They will buck wind as good as any other tent even with their high profile. The round shape helps with that. We used it in 50-60mph winds at lake Meredith with no issues.

My only issue was a bent center pole after it snowed 12-15" overnight on a hunt in Colorado. I woke up to it and had to go cut down a tree to act as a new pole. They are designed this way, though, as a pole is much easier/cheaper to replace than a repair job on the tent body. Just need to keep the snow brushed off the bottom of the tent and it's no big deal.
                          Last edited by JustinJ; 08-23-2022, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post

That is a comfortable looking set up

Comment

Working...
                              X