2022 Crappie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
    Looks good Mike. I shouldn't have a problem seeing him across the lake [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Heck I can see him from up here and I’m blind as hell!!

Comment

Green emerald hand tied jigs was the color of choice this morning on Lake Conroe. Momma caught another hammer and was flat wearing them out👍
      Attached Files

Comment

Two Friday mornings in a row, limit by 9:00 dragging jigs over brush on Rayburn.

Comment

Wearem out fellers! And Lassies!

Nice to see Flex got the roostertail back.

Comment

50 big old timber fish today’s. Conroe continues to crank em out!!

Comment

Question for you guys. Do yall have any trouble catching them on jigs year round? My friend, who fishes WAY more than me, says they stop hitting jigs in the heat of the summer. I have thousands of dollars invested in a live scope setup and for some reason it annoys me to spend $20 on minnows every day.

Also, anybody have their own minnow tank at home and buying them bulk? I think the local fish farm will sell you like 1200 for 30 or 40 bucks. They are 1.5 inch long. Would need to mature a bit before use. 3 cents a minnow would sure beat 25 cents.

Comment

I use jigs year round but I downsize in summer! Watching a 1/16oz jig sink on 10-12lb line on Livescope is brutal! Minnows probably come out cheaper than losing a bunch of jigs honestly but I hate messing with them. Buff has a minnow tank now. He can tell you what it takes to get set up!

Comment

1.5 inch minnows are perfect for summer crappie! Get a 13 quart Engel bait cooler and 2 dozen minnows should get you close to a limit! They don't hardly ever die in the cooler. Not sure how you need $20 worth of minnows!

Also, if using jigs, wipe your jig up and down the sides of the first crappie you catch for natural scent (the more slime the better). Repeat after each few catches!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                    1.5 inch minnows are perfect for summer crappie! Get a 13 quart Engel bait cooler and 2 dozen minnows should get you close to a limit! They don't hardly ever die in the cooler. Not sure how you need $20 worth of minnows!

Also, if using jigs, wipe your jig up and down the sides of the first crappie you catch for natural scent (the more slime the better). Repeat after each few catches!
                    More minnows because not just me fishing.

I have a small rtic ice chest and I just put a $10 aerator on it. We didn't lose a single minnow out of 5 dozen.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can make your own bait cooler cheaper and bigger than Engle. My son built this 30 qt minnow cooler out of a cheap igloo. Maybe $45 invested included a bigger stone. It will keep alot of minnows alive for a long time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                        You can make your own bait cooler cheaper and bigger than Engle. My son built this 30 qt minnow cooler out of a cheap igloo. Maybe $45 invested included a bigger stone. It will keep alot of minnows alive for a long time.
                        That is sweet but I tell you the built in mesh net/strainer on the Engel is outstanding! Nice sticker on yours! Where can order one!?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                          That is sweet but I tell you the built in mesh net/strainer on the Engel is outstanding! Nice sticker on yours! Where can order one!?
                          Minnow net works pretty well😜 I may have a sticker left, I will check. If not I will get some more made👍

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                            That's pretty slick right there

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I see a lot of people specifically saying hand tied jigs. Do they offer an advantage? Or is it more of a it's cool because I made it and caught fish on it kind of deal? I could get into it if they offer an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                                I see a lot of people specifically saying hand tied jigs. Do they offer an advantage? Or is it more of a it's cool because I made it and caught fish on it kind of deal? I could get into it if they offer an advantage.
                                I like them cause I make them myself but also they don’t come down the jig head like plastics do if you miss a bite. That said with a screw lock heads plastics stay put too. I was always too lazy to superglue them. I always wondered if I missed a note with plastic was my bait bunched up on the hook shank. With a hand tie I could miss 10 bites in a row and know it’s right how it was when I tied it on! Same reason I rarely fish with a straight minnow. End up fishing with a bare hook. Course I can see it now too on Livescope.

Comment

Working...
                                X