No announcement yet.

Honda Pioneer 500 experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m happy with it so far. I wanted laminated glass to eliminate scratches, there are sone coated plastics that claim equal scratch resistance.

Plastics have the advantages of better impact resistance, say from a rock thrown back by a rider in front of you on a trail. I don’t ride with others, so not an issue.

I have a friend with a plastic on his for 4 years with no problems- but he rarely trail rides and uses it for chores and snow plowing. The view from the passenger seat was more “panoramic” with windshield post-to-post.

I’ve not found an issue with visibility directly in front, but I have 2 led light bars aimed at 20 yards to really light up the road. I have noticed when I’m on dirt county roads at 30+, I do lose a little visibility with what’s around a bend. Not bad, but I’m used to it now.

Long answer to your short question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My 500 is still running strong after the one issue with the tranny. And I run the dog crap out of it. Change the oil and filters once a year and she keeps on ticking.

I did replace the factory battery last year also. This is on a 2015 model. And just bought her some new shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
        My 500 is still running strong after the one issue with the tranny. And I run the dog crap out of it. Change the oil and filters once a year and she keeps on ticking.

I did replace the factory battery last year also. This is on a 2015 model. And just bought her some new shoes.

Have you adjusted (tightened) the reverse handle (under dash) cable so you don’t need to reach under the dash every rine to go in reverse? A P500 must-do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          Have you adjusted (tightened) the reverse handle (under dash) cable so you don’t need to reach under the dash every rine to go in reverse? A P500 must-do.

No I have not... please explain the process or share a link?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

The guy’s voice gets on my nerves, but it shows how to do it. On the Honda SxS forum it’s done by most of the guys with no problems reported.

Just don’t paddle shift into reverse at 35 mph (but you’d need to downshift thru all the gears anyway).

Comment

I’m happy with it so far. I wanted laminated glass to eliminate scratches, there are sone coated plastics that claim equal scratch resistance.

Plastics have the advantages of better impact resistance, say from a rock thrown back by a rider in front of you on a trail. I don’t ride with others, so not an issue.

I have a friend with a plastic on his for 4 years with no problems- but he rarely trail rides and uses it for chores and snow plowing. The view from the passenger seat was more “panoramic” with windshield post-to-post.

I’ve not found an issue with visibility directly in front, but I have 2 led light bars aimed at 20 yards to really light up the road. I have noticed when I’m on dirt county roads at 30+, I do lose a little visibility with what’s around a bend. Not bad, but I’m used to it now.

Long answer to your short question.

I'm still trying to decide between glass or poly windshield and aluminum or poly top.... I like EMP stuff

Comment

I think I summed up the pro and cons.

Scratch resistance
                Impact resistance
                Field of view

I’ll add
                Opening for more summer airflow (plastic has advantage)

There’s different plastics and coatings available as well.

I’m happy and generally pick metal over plastic (except when it comes to concealed carry handguns)

Comment

I bought the non-hard coat Honda factory plastic window and regret it. It scratches even when you wipe it off with a towel and leaves swirl marks.

If I were to do it over again, I would at least get the hard-coat.

Comment

That’s what I’ve read. SuperATV and SidebysideStuff are 2 good, reputable retailers and have info on windshields.

The Honda side by side forum is a really good place for unbiased reviews too. I’m ‘Bowhunter Bill’. I’ve learned a ton about modifications, accessories and maintenance.

Now please remember- when hunting season is over I mount a Warn plow on the front and I have almost 200 yards of unpaved “driveway’ I need to clear the snow in Montana winters. I’m hoping with the soft doors and back window creating a closed cab and the heat the engine generates under the seat, I’ll be more comfortable than last year.

But I do own a pair of Carhartt Arctic coveralls designed to sell to the crews building the trans-Alaska pipeline.

Comment

I started to get really rough manual shifting into 3, 4, 5. Adjusting the clutch is simple and took 10 minutes including finding a YouTube how-to, getting a 14mm wrench and screwdriver and doing it.

Shifts like a Lamborghini now .

Comment

I did the reverse lever adjustment this weekend and MUCH better not having to use the lever.

Comment

Try plowing snow!

The clutch adjustment tp smooth shifting is as easy.

Comment

The guy’s voice gets on my nerves, but it shows how to do it. On the Honda SxS forum it’s done by most of the guys with no problems reported.

Just don’t paddle shift into reverse at 35 mph (but you’d need to downshift thru all the gears anyway).

Definitely doing this next time I'm down south! Very cool and easy!

Comment

Working...
                            X