Protein feeders and spooky E. Texas deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you guys run tube style feeders vs trough style feeder in E. / SE Texas, where your deer are already hesitant to come to a corn feeder?

Which do you prefer? Which did they take to better?

Reason I ask, I put up tube style feeders and ran them for almost 2 years and not one deer took to them. Even tried feeding heavy corn to entice them.

I have heard from others that they had better success with trough style feeders.

Thanks in advance.

We have bucks that will come to troughs that wont come to regular corn feeders. Tube feeders just dont hold enough and get wet too easy.

Comment

I need to call you to catch up how your season went.

Funny you mention moisture and tube feeders. I understand the condensation aspect in a barrel all to well.

You would think trough feeders would be more susceptible to moisture from rain though.

Comment

I’ve had better luck with troughs, but you need a big roof over it to keep it dry. I went back to tube gravity fed feeders.

Comment

Deer hammer our protein feeders. We have many kinds on lease too. Try a new spot. They can be very picky about where they want to eat from. 50 yards away even could make a difference. I think protein is preferred over corn on our place. In newton cnty

Comment

I would think twice about putting up any kind of protein feeder next to a corn feeder that deer are not coming to. Get away from the corn feeder or get rid of it altogether.

Comment

i just started protein and using whole corn and whole soybean mix and cant hardly keep the feeder full. That soybean smell travels well.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                I would think twice about putting up any kind of protein feeder next to a corn feeder that deer are not coming to. Get away from the corn feeder or get rid of it altogether.
                Kinda what we do.

I have 2 protein feeders,both tube style. One doesn't even have a stand by it. The other has a trough and a ladder stand

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tube feeder here. Holds 2000 lbs not so many trips

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                    i just started protein and using whole corn and whole soybean mix and cant hardly keep the feeder full. That soybean smell travels well.
                    Been feeding roasted soybean blend in my spinner feeders and my consumption rate went up substantially. I also have some B&C raccoons as well.

Comment

Every feeder I have out is a gravity feeder. Only troughs I use are for alfalfa. How are you keeping coons and squirrels out of your troughs?

I do not use pens nor do I use timed feeders.

Comment

I didnt have pens up last time I tried, and honestly, I think the deer were avoiding the feeders (corn and protein) because of the continual presence of hogs.

Since I started using pens, my corn feeder usage increased dramatically, but I still have deer that avoid them like the plague.

Now, wanting to implement protein, but am torn between trying tube feeders vs. troughs. From what I have experienced thru others, E. Texas deer take better to troughs.

Comment

We had great success feeding protein on our lease in Angelina county. We put 12x12 pens around them to keep the pigs out and it worked well. They hit some of them immediately and some we had to move, just had to figure out the placement. They worked well for us, free choice is the way to go with the gravity feeding, just let them get it when they want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any of you guys running troughs, do you have approximate dimensions or pictures of what you are using? Are they keeping the rain out of the troughs and keeping them from clumping up?

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Had this same problem. At first I had the feeder on the edge of a high line clearing and they wouldn’t touch it. I moved it into the woods in a very small opening then they took to it and hit it daily.

Comment

Working...
                              X