Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you S Texas guys ever see an ocelot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats cool. Wonder what that camera was really intended for?

Comment

He's Crepuscular!

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        Thats cool. Wonder what that camera was really intended for?
        F&W monitors the man made critter corridors...those are placed to allow wildlife travel when bridges / walls or any other major construction restricts movement.

Comment

Was down south several years ago a guide told me one of his hunters shot one brought it back to camp thinking he shot a bobcat he was quickly informed bobcats didn’t have long tails and he was told to get it out of camp immediately.It was really a stupid honest mistake made by a ignorant hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            We had a documented breeding pair on the Moody Ranch South of Del Rio many years ago... I saw them once, but never got a pic or trail camera pic of them... I had a set that was near the river and they crossed the road right in front of me when I was driving a BP drag road back to camp after a morning hunt... The biologist that documented them was the TPWD guy that helped us get our management program going for that ranch... He also shot a bear out of a pecan tree in old downtown Del Rio along San Felipe Creek that ran thru downtown... Tranquilized it and hauled out to Big Bend for the release... Some cool stuff used to go on at that ranch (Lonesome Dove was filmed on the ranch)...
            You got the hunt on the moody ranch? That is cool as all get out. I’d love to get to see the old town, if anything is still even standing.

Comment

cool!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                You got the hunt on the moody ranch? That is cool as all get out. I’d love to get to see the old town, if anything is still even standing.

Yea, we had to move deer stands from some areas because they would have been in the camera shots... The creek where the snakes got the kid was literally right behind our camp...
                The old town is all gone now... It was mostly stolen and taken across the Rio Grande by mesicans... It really was built right on the river overlooking it on a high bank... The bridge going into town is even gone... sad... Mr. Moody passed away in 14 or 15 and the ranch sold the next year so we lost the lease after 31 years! Got pics somewhere of my kids on the front porch of the house and standing in the doorway and upstairs balcony of the hotel...

Comment

Yea, we had to move deer stands from some areas because they would have been in the camera shots... The creek where the snakes got the kid was literally right behind our camp...
                  The old town is all gone now... It was mostly stolen and taken across the Rio Grande by mesicans... It really was built right on the river overlooking it on a high bank... The bridge going into town is even gone... sad... Mr. Moody passed away in 14 or 15 and the ranch sold the next year so we lost the lease after 31 years! Got pics somewhere of my kids on the front porch of the house and standing in the doorway and upstairs balcony of the hotel...
                  That's pretty cool

Comment

in the last 80's dad had a lease on the Moody ranch. Back then the set was in real good shape.

Comment

There were several movie sets on the ranch. Mr. Moody was in tight with the Hollywood crowd. His wife Darlene came from Hollywood... He was in many of the old classics and his cattle were the standard movie cows... Several years ago, the Alamo was released and a CD/DVD set was available for it that had extra footage that was cut from the movie to shorten it plus there was a lot of footage of them making the movie in Brackettville... 100% of all that footage was shot by Bill Moody. He was in the movie. And one of the principal reasons the site for the movie set for The Alamo was picked was because Bill owned the property next door and he had a hard surface landing strip so the movie folks could get in and out of the set easily and quickly... Same was true for Lonesome Dove. Bill had an 8000 foot landing strip at the Rancho Rio Grande HQ... Until he got too old and could no longer pass his eye test, he flew a twin engine plane back and forth between Galveston (his office on the top floor of Moody Nat'l. Bank in Galveston) and the ranch weekly. He was an interesting character that I feel very fortunate to have known... His son WL Moody V had no interest in any of his ranches, so they are being sold off... It's a sad end of a true American Family success story... Bill donated the money and land that Moody Gardens sits on today...

Comment

I remember seeing a few in taxidermy shops in the late 60's. Beautiful cats!

Comment

Saw one once on the inter coastal canal spoil bank when I was wade fishing Mesquite Bay. It came out of the grass about thirty yards from me, walked along the shoreline for another 20 yards or so and was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
                            Was down south several years ago a guide told me one of his hunters shot one brought it back to camp thinking he shot a bobcat he was quickly informed bobcats didn’t have long tails and he was told to get it out of camp immediately.It was really a stupid honest mistake made by a ignorant hunter.
                            It would be easy to do depending on light & angle not seeing the tail...I had a smaller skinny yellow lab that almost got shot by a fellow member, but got called off when another saw his collar. Some guys just shoot & figure it out later. People get shot every year being mistaken for game so not so difficult to mix up similar colored cats.

Comment

Back in 2004 I saw one that got run over in Starr County on Military Road near La Grulla, Tx. Beautiful animals.

Comment

Working...
                              X