Teaching kids to shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching kids to shoot

My daughter is 4 and loves to shoot her cricket 22. The only issue we have been having is she has a hard time understanding how to aim with iron sights.
    Im thinking about putting a holographic red dot on it for her, does anyone have a better idea before i go this route?

It may not be right, but I taught mine and all the kids at our lease with a scope. It seemed like the best way to keep them interested, and engaged. They're learning iron sights with pistols now.

Comment

My daughter is also four, I bought a cheap red dot scope for her cricket. It was very easy for her after that. It is easy to explain to put the dot where you want the bullet to hit. We just shoot water bottles, but she rarely misses now out to 30 yards. I also had to cut the stock down some, the length of pull was just a touch too long. That and the scope and she’s a sniper now.
      Last edited by panhandlehunter; 08-05-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        My daughter is also four, I bought a cheap red dot scope for her cricket. It was very easy for her after that. It is easy to explain to put the dot where you want the bullet to hit. We just shoot water bottles, but she rarely misses now out to 30 yards. I also had to cut the stock down some, the length of pull was just a touch too long. That and the scope and she’s a sniper now.
        Ive been thinking about cutting the stock as it is to long for my daughter also. Is it a synthetic stock? how did you do it?

Comment

I found safety, handling and use was easiest to teach with a red rider.
          Something about actually seeing that ball bearing headed to its target reinforces all of it, aiming included.
          My 3 boys busted probably 100 ice cubes apiece before touching their cricket.

We made it a contest, you get 2 shots to bust that ice cube and then hand it off.
          First instance of lack of safety from anyone resulted in game over for all.
          They learned just as much from watching me bust their target, if that makes sense.

Comment

When my kids were about that age I read on the TBH to put a piece of cardboard around both the front and back sights. Make a hole in it just big enough for the kid to see the sights. They will be forced to look through the sights to see the target. At close range they will also hit a target. Balloons are great. As they get better you will be able to remove the cardboard.

Comment

My daughter learned with a Red Ryder. I drew it out on a piece of paper, how the sights should look when she looked down the barrel. As far as keeping her entertained, I let her draw targets on cardboard to shoot at. She always had a bigger racked deer to shoot at than me.

Comment

Ghost ring.

Comment

I have a sight mark sitting in my desk drawer I will send you. If interested send a PM.

Comment

It is already been mentioned, but a red dot scope was the advice I got for my boys when they got started... and it was great advice.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                      I have a sight mark sitting in my desk drawer I will send you. If interested send a PM.
                      PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by RW2016 View Post
                        Ive been thinking about cutting the stock as it is to long for my daughter also. Is it a synthetic stock? how did you do it?
                        It is a synthetic stock. I just cut it where I needed to, sanded it smooth. I took another piece of plastic cut to fit the end of the stock and epoxied it in place. Lightly sanded the final product smooth. It isn’t quite a professional finish, lol but it doesn’t look bad, and was necessary for her to be able to shoot the gun correctly.

Comment

My daughter learned with a red dot. She is a sniper now with red dot, scope, or iron sights. I felt the red dot helped in teaching her the irons.

Comment

Great ideas here. Whatever it takes to instill confidence and gives them a positive outcome helps a young person (or anyone as far as that goes).

Comment

I had all my kids shooting at balloons. They loved making them pop and got good using iron sights popping them balloons!

Comment

Working...
                              X