Public Land Float Hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Land Float Hunt?

I've had it stuck in my head for a while that I'd love to do a real float hunt somewhere, and I think this might be the year to do it. I'm thinking ideally 3-5 days, hopefully somewhere I could bring a shotgun and a rifle and come home with some ducks and a deer and/or pig. Want to paddle in, camp/hunt/fish, paddle out. I've got a 14ft canoe that would handle me and gear and meat. I'm thinking it's gotta be East TX just to have the combo of public land and navigable water, have my eye on Dam B and Big Thicket.

Don't need anybody to plan my trip for me, but has anyone done this before and have some tips? Are there some really good reasons not to? Do those seem like good areas to try, or are there some other spots that should be on my radar? How big a difference will different times of the season make? Thanks!

I have friends that float the Sulphur River on the upper end of Lake Wright Patman Lake every fall

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
      I have friends that float the Sulphur River on the upper end of Lake Wright Patman Lake every fall
      That looks right up my alley. I should mention I'm based in Houston so would prefer something further south, but that's not out of the question if it makes sense. Looking at the regs for WOCWMA, I guess they're bowhunting? Or just shooting ducks?

Comment

I have done multiple multi day camping / fishing trips using the canoe, it’s awesome. I would recommend waiting for the cooler weather to set in also pack light . By the third day you will be felling your load , plan your trip with break points and camping points already known. Store your important gear in a dry bag and log your trip. Years later you will enjoy reading about what you have done .

Comment

Done float trips out of state for big game. It’s my favorite type of hunt period by far. Allows you to be mobile and stealthy. The one big thing about float hunts is you and your gear will get sand and sediment in everything everywhere. If you don’t want something to get wet the only way to keep it from getting wet is dry bags, and quality dry bags at that. Something to keep in mind, if you’re successful, is meat care. Meat care is tough in the field with warm weather and no ice but then add water to that and it becomes tough and a lot of work.

Comment

I’ve never hunted it but I have scouted north of Dam B I like the Angelina river side of things the water is a lot prettier than the Neches side of things. There are some big gators in there really big be careful or at least be mindful especially if it’s still warm out.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
              Done float trips out of state for big game. It’s my favorite type of hunt period by far. Allows you to be mobile and stealthy. The one big thing about float hunts is you and your gear will get sand and sediment in everything everywhere. If you don’t want something to get wet the only way to keep it from getting wet is dry bags, and quality dry bags at that. Something to keep in mind, if you’re successful, is meat care. Meat care is tough in the field with warm weather and no ice but then add water to that and it becomes tough and a lot of work.
              Thanks! I've done plenty of canoe *camping* in and out of state, just haven't brought a gun haha. So I've got the dry bags and other gear. Good note about the meat care, hopefully I'd be in a place where if I get an animal and run out of ice I can just paddle out pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
                I’ve never hunted it but I have scouted north of Dam B I like the Angelina river side of things the water is a lot prettier than the Neches side of things. There are some big gators in there really big be careful or at least be mindful especially if it’s still warm out.
                Good call, sounds like a lot of reasons to wait til it's properly cold out.

Comment

Working...
                X