TPWD Draw Hunts Catalog is up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roger View Post
    Ok. Doug asked you to elaborate on the other thread, so I'll ask here. Why would being able to put your arrow through the vitals of a deer (all 8's) every time not be considered proficient to you? Pretty sure that's a dead deer every time. And, as you stated on the other thread, how would counting 12 or 11 ring scoring as part of the proficiency test translate to hitting the vitals of a deer? I'm not trying to argue. I'm genuinely curious as to your rational.

I agree, it's not a difficult test, especially using a rangefinder. However, 12 ring 3d course accuracy isn't needed to be a proficient hunter if one recognizes ones limits and takes reasonable shot opportunities based upon those limits and the physiological behaviors of the animal. And, rangefinders are legal for hunting last time I checked. I've certified proficiency for an awful lot of folks for the H hunt over the last 17 years. Some don't pass and need to do some work before hunting with a bow. Others are plenty effective inside a given range, say 20 yards. Others will hit a 12 ring from any distance. Of course, animals don't have 12 rings and they move, ergo knowing your limits.

Now, to log on and see if everyone has let the draw site cool down a bit so I can make my TPWD donation for this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

.. Take a look at the picture and note the X's on the outside 8 ring. Those would be considered 8s, but not necessarily lethal hits. Of course that's debatable, but the consensus would be that ten ring would be a safer margin than just 8s. Requiring an average of ten, with a 12/11 component would demonstrate that not only can you produce a lethal shot, but you can do so with pinpoint accuracy consistently and aligns with the goal of making the quickest kill(Double lung or heart), and not just kind ballparkin' the vital area and hoping it does enough.
    I didn't dispute rangefinders or not, 30 yards max known distance would be on the absolute bottom of ASA competition, and therefore I can say I wouldn't call that proficiency by any means.

Why is it that specifically with Hagerman (If the logic is sound, and the requirements actually yield quantifiably better results), do other properties not implement the requirement as well? Either those additional standards really don't equate to better, quantifiable results or it's useless crap unique to Hagerman.
    Attached Files

Comment

Does Haggerman have any quantifiable data showing that their hunters wound fewer deer and any of the other public hunts? I would be really interested to see what their data shows. I know the other archery hunts I've been on collect data on how many animals were shot vs how many are recovered so that should be info that would be easily attained by tpwd and the wildlife refuges. Of course not everyone is going to report wounding deer but people probably are going to be dishonest about it at about the same rate statewide.

anyone know anything about the Neches NWR(other than there are no deer there and the ones are may make it onto the property are all tiny and malnourished ? Has it ever been hunted before?

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
        Does Haggerman have any quantifiable data showing that their hunters wound fewer deer and any of the other public hunts? I would be really interested to see what their data shows. I know the other archery hunts I've been on collect data on how many animals were shot vs how many are recovered so that should be info that would be easily attained by tpwd and the wildlife refuges. Of course not everyone is going to report wounding deer but people probably are going to be dishonest about it at about the same rate statewide.

anyone know anything about the Neches NWR(other than there are no deer there and the ones are may make it onto the property are all tiny and malnourished ? Has it ever been hunted before?
        First year they will be hunting this property. The Feds went through the hunting plan preparation and comment period earlier this year. Was approved and they put it in the TPWD draw system just like other NWR sites offering hunting in the state.

Before you sign up, just be sure you read all of the rules listed. NWRs run their hunts a little different than most of the State Parks and TX WMAs. Big rule is NO BAITING on any NWR. Many of them are "entire property" hunts as opposed to compartments, blinds, etc. common on many TX state hunts. Not better or worse, just different.

Comment

What happened to the Cross Bar hunt?

Comment

Glad the draw is finally here! yea!

The H is not the only one that requires a proficiency test. I've hunted another. And the H is also Federal Land. State can't tell the Feds what to do. But they do now get along on wildlife matters (for the most part). There was a time when they didn't on some Fed lands. I guess the same could be applied to leased land too. Each has it's own unique set of rules.

I've been hunting public lands most of my life. And several different types. Mostly because I couldn't afford a lease. And didn't have family land to hunt. Best thing to do is just adapt, and overcome. And during the "off season", lobby for your concerns or changes.

Edit: And carry on.
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-02-2021, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Glad the draw is finally here! yea!

The H is not the only one that requires a proficiency test. I've hunted another. And the H is also Federal Land. State can't tell the Feds what to do. But they do now get along on wildlife matters (for the most part). There was a time when they didn't on some Fed lands. I guess the same could be applied to leased land too. Each has it's own unique set of rules.

I've been hunting public lands most of my life. And several different types. Mostly because I couldn't afford a lease. And didn't have family land to hunt. Best thing to do is just adapt, and overcome. And during the "off season", lobby for your concerns or changes.

Edit: And carry on.
              Common sense right here...

Comment

Did my yearly donation.

Comment

So I guess Hagerman has big deer, otherwise why go through all the trouble. I donated my money for several hunts. Hagerman wasn't one...but maybe it should be

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                    Did my yearly donation.
                    X2

Comment

For some strange reason, the TP&W web sight does not let me download the catalog via pdf. Says my browser is unsupported . They only support EI through EI 8 through 11, and Firefox through 44. They are way behind on!

It's nice to have a pdf so I don't have to go on-line each time.

Comment

Done !

Comment

Just finished applying! Look forward to drawing a bunch of hunts and killing a bunch of animals!!

Comment

Just spent 80 bucks. Maybe I will get lucky this year

Comment

They should draw the first set of hunts today (hopefully) since the deadline was yesterday.

Only thing I applied for on this round (yesterday's deadline) was the youth alligator for my son. He's trying to get one of every kinda critter he can get here in Texas and hasn't got an alligator yet. Fingers crossed he draws and then is successful on the hunt!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                                They should draw the first set of hunts today (hopefully) since the deadline was yesterday.

Only thing I applied for on this round (yesterday's deadline) was the youth alligator for my son. He's trying to get one of every kinda critter he can get here in Texas and hasn't got an alligator yet. Fingers crossed he draws and then is successful on the hunt!!!
                                Good luck! Im really hoping I dont draw alligator. Its the next day after my elk hunt. Might be looking for a job and wife if I have to make that hunt too

Comment

Working...
                                X