The End of Cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The End of Cash

I tried to eat at Hopdoddy burger place in San Marcos Tuesday night. Stood in line 20 minutes and ordered. Told me after all was done ordering and tried to pay that they don’t take cash. I had given my daughter my only credit card that day since she only had her debit card. No way around it. I guess I could have given the people behind $20 cash to charge my meal on their CC, But I was frustrated and just walked to Chuys and had a few margaritas and chips.

Strange times we are in. When a restaurant doesn’t take USA Legal Tender as a form of payment.

I get two reasons why it's a good thing for the business.
    1. hard for employees to steal
    2. robbers have nothing to take (except fries) and may pass it by

I get one (plus) major why it is bad.
    1. someone else is in control of my money

what happens if the phone lines\internet are down? how do they except payments?

THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE or not

Happened at lowes the other day

Only cash or check. No sign on the door. Didn't find out until I was checking out

Comment

Happened at lowes the other day

Only cash or check. No sign on the door. Didn't find out until I was checking out

Comment

Plenty if cash around. Just gotta go to the Ukraine

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I could be wrong but I think the University of Texas is now a "no-touch" university and only expects credit card payments at all functions.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
            I could be wrong but I think the University of Texas is now a "no-touch" university and only expects credit card payments at all functions.

Rwc

i was told Austin Airport was like that. and my daughter was at new student orientation at TXST and the told her most things were card only, that's why she had my one CC.

i would have paid via Venmo or Paypal but that wasn't an option

Comment

Remember once it's all gone you won't be able to buy food, supplies, medicine and.... unless you a good sheep!

Comment

They could be receiving incentives from the cc companies to pay electronically.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post

Rwc
                  I know that Disch-Falk is. Globe Life is also.

Comment

I wish they would make up their minds. Some places where I live only take cash and several that do take cards charge a fee for using them or have a purchase limit.

Comment

Drive everyone to use cards so you can be tracked. AND have your access to purchasing anything turned off if you are not a good little commie and get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                        I wish they would make up their minds. Some places where I live only take cash and several that do take cards charge a fee for using them or have a purchase limit.
                        Bank of America told me that Credit Card Act of 09 made that illegal but can't find it.

Comment

We shop at an Amish grocery store. Cash or check only.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of businesses have moved in this direction. There are valid reasons why.

- Prevents theft, even for employees
                            - Prevents robberies as there is no cash in the register to take
                            - No requirement to have a trusted employee or Manager go to the bank to make deposits or pay a security service to do this for you
                            - Counterfeit bills are around
                            - Credit/Debit transactions are faster

Don't get me wrong. I always carry cash and also keep a small stash at home. When the SHTF, cash is still king. I'm also on the fence on this issue as it's a pain when a place of business won't take legal tender. Not sure how many businesses keep the means to do so, however, credit card transactions still can be processed without power/internet; by using the old imprinting method that was used back in the 80's and 90's.

With that said, Hopdoddy Burger is kind of one of those trendy, liberal type of places, so it's no surprise they don't take cash.

Comment

Took my son to Colonial last week to watch a little golf. Broke out my $20 for parking. Card only and ended up $27. Gave him a $10 to get a couple of waters. Card only at the course. Big Brother will be in charge soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X