Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bass fisherman.. what rods and reel combos..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass fisherman.. what rods and reel combos..

Wanting to start adding to my Rod and reel fleet but would really like to stay under 10 rods and reels.. what are my must have rods/reel speed combos for the different techniques?

Thanks in advance! I’ve read up on it just curious if anyone has any better answers since i don’t want to have 20 or 25 rods and reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man. Don’t over think it. Spinning rods for drop shot, Ned and shakey heads. Bait cast for everything else. Only thing really different on the baitcast would be one with 20# fluorocarbon if you punch mats.

Comment

My absolute do all in a 7'3" medium heavy with a 7:3:1 curado with 15lb flouro.

Beyond that I'd recommend a 7'4 heavy action, a 7' medium action, a 7' or 6'6" medium or medium light spinning setup, a 7'8 or so extra heavy, and 7'6ish medium heavy for deep c-rig/jig.

I prefer 7 or 8:.. reels to take up slack on just about every rod, except those that are for primary moving baits when I prefer 6: for swimming baits and 5: for big crankbait.

That's just my preference for a small setup, obviously you can add more here and there with different tip speeds for more precise feel on certain baits.

Comment

I picked up a Shimano SLX DC a while back, and now have 3 or 4 more and am hooked on em. they are great reels. fresh or salt water

Comment

not sure i could live with just 10 rods. I carry about 25 in my rod box's and have another stack in the corner of the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
            not sure i could live with just 10 rods. I carry about 25 in my rod box's and have another stack in the corner of the garage.

Helpful! Haha.. man that’s awesome

Comment

This is pretty good. I’d throw in a 7ft 6in flipping stick but that would get you going pretty well.

Comment

Hard to beat a lews combo from academy $130 gets you a great set up

Comment

Originally posted by Loftin View Post
                  I picked up a Shimano SLX DC a while back, and now have 3 or 4 more and am hooked on em. they are great reels. fresh or salt water

SLX are great. I like the non-DC ones just as much. Can’t be beat for $99.

Comment

Zebco 808 salt model and a good Okuma rod. I have landed everything from nice crappy and Catfish (and Bass even though thats not what I fish for) to an 80lbs Halibut. All for about 100 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Big C View Post
                      https://youtu.be/sHO96E8XTyU

This is pretty good. I’d throw in a 7ft 6in flipping stick but that would get you going pretty well.

Pretty spot on in video IMO for 6 that can cover most all bases. Then you can just mix up the type line on each for different applications.

Comment

Spinning setup for finesse, heavy pitching rod, and 6'9" to 7'3" MH baitcasting setup for multi use spinnerbait, squarebill, chatterbait, topwater, worming. Heavy pitching rod can also double as carolina rig/frog and umbrella rig rod. You need to buy technique specific if you and a deep cranking or medium cranking rod, I've tried cranking with rods to stiff for it and it just don't work.

Comment

...Academy H2O rods and reels are best bang for your buck, many of the parts in the H2O reels are in the name brand ones, they are build the same place.

Comment

10 ain't enuf. I have to have a rod for every style I fish and multiple baits for each style. I hate retying. When I fished from my boat I usually carried 15 to 20 rods. I kayak fish now and it's a struggle because I can only carry 8 rods.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X