what kind of snail is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of snail is this?

I bought some crawfish to dump into a pond tomorrow. There are alot of these "snails" in the bags. I'm wondering what they are and if they are good or bad? I dont want to add them to the new pond if they shouldnt be there. Thanks
    Attached Files

Seek app says they are “marsh rams horns.” Good or bad, I don’t know.

Sounds like some escargot may be in order.

Comment

You and I must be getting them from the same supplier/field. I noticed the same exact thing with those snails in the sack I got today. From fiesta mart in dallas

Comment

Get rid of all you can. IMOP snails are not good in ponds. Snails will make more snail's and then they will be everywhere. BTW, they will make very good perch bait.

Comment

Seek app says they are “marsh rams horns.” Good or bad, I don’t know.
          that app is right, thanks for looking it up....they are originally from florida

And after a quick google now that I know what they are called, I read what I needed to know and will be removing them before I dump the crawfish. Hopefully the crawfish dont have little ones on their bodies.

""In some areas marsh rams-horn populations build to levels that have the potential to disrupt fisheries operations because parasitic trematodes from the snails may infect the fish. In these areas management with perimeter shoreline treatment and aquatic applications have be used to decrease not just marsh rams-horn, but also trematode populations. Treatment options are available for these snails and parasites""

""The marsh rams-horn is also a host to another type parasitic trematode, Ribeiroia ondatrae. This trematode is thought to be responsible for limb malformation in amphibians. This can include either deformed, additional, or missing limbs. Warm temperatures (26°C) induce the eggs of Ribeiroia to develop up to four times faster. ""

Comment

You and I must be getting them from the same supplier/field. I noticed the same exact thing with those snails in the sack I got today. From fiesta mart in dallas
            I got these from a seafood store in Corpus, supposedly they get a truckload of crawfish a couple of times each week from louisiana. I'll ask them next time where they get them

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
              I got these from a seafood store in Corpus, supposedly they get a truckload of crawfish a couple of times each week from louisiana. I'll ask them next time where they get them
              Fiesta gets theirs from la as well. Thanks for info on snails. Crap, you have me worried now about little snails on or in the crawfish I couldn't see

Comment

Another great reason not to eat crawfish.

Comment

Working...
                X