Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autism? How many have children on the spectrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FamousAmos View Post
    I have a grandson with autism who is one of the best kids I know. I am biased, for sure, but we hear that description from so many who are in his life. He is gifted in so many ways. He struggles socially, but otherwise does just fine.

My little struggles with the social and the academic. He is 3 and operates on a 18 month old level for the most part. He is very delayed. His speech is getting better but you have to be around him to figure out what he’s trying to tell you. He’s finally started pointing which helps identify his wants. We have been teaching him sign language since he was 18 months old because we saw the delay then and wanted to be proactive.
    My wife (his momma) is a sped teacher and has worked with multiple autistic kids through the school system. What she has learned there we’ve been able to transfer to Raylan to help him. If it wasn’t for her chosen career I think we would be way behind the curve with him.

Comment

I don't trust the medical profession and pharm companies to be giving us the truth about the vax.

Comment

Originally posted by CletusBodeen View Post
        I can say I was heart broken when he was diagnosed because all the dreams I had for him were thrown out but with prayer and faith I am learning to see his abilities and not a disability. He’s wired differently but not broken.
        I felt the same way Clint. I had it all figured out. He grow up and go to college, play football at A&M, meet a girl, get married, have kids, and we’d be grandparents. Imagine putting a handful of marbles in a jar for everyone of those life stages. Then take that jar and smash it on the floor. All our hopes and dreams, hopes and dreams most people take for granted, we’re devastated. So we’ve spent the last 25 years putting the pieces back together to the best of our ability. We have good days and bad. But I’ve found that my life is healthier when I live one day at a time, and walk by faith not by sight. Is my heart broken ? Yes. But I know that God is in control, He has a plan, and His plan will always be better than mine. I’m here for you and anyone else here that’s just starting this journey.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
          I don't trust the medical profession and pharm companies to be giving us the truth about the vax.
          I am not worried about any vaccines , it’s the people depending on
          Psychogenic medication reproducing while medicated that make me wonder what big pharmaceutical companies are hiding,

Comment

Autism has risen with vaccinations. It is no secret that the ingredients in the vax's people allow into their bodies and their children can have dreaded side effects. Look at the ingredients...the issue is that we have learned to trust folks that we believe have our best interests at heart. They don't.

Comment

My son who will be turning 15 this year is on the spectrum. He was speech delayed until he was 4. Now I cannot get him to shut up. We have worked really hard with him, with all kinds of therapy (speech, PT, Hippa). He is very high functioning and sharp as a tack. Just has problems getting his expressions out. We did teach him sign language at an early age, which helped some. He would point and grunt at things that he wanted, the therapist told us to make him say the word of the thing that he wanted or try to say the word.

It has been a long road and I know we are still not there, but I would not change anything. My son does all of the normal things that any kid his age does. You can tell that he is a little socially ackward, but he is not your normal autistic kid, as he is not shy. He will talk your ear off.

He is catching up on his development delays in school, he takes most normal classes with some inclusion. He does make good grades, but it is a chore keeping him on track.

There are organizations out there that will come into your home, since your son is so young, to help with some home therapy. It will help both parents in the long run. It sure did help me. Like it was said, my son is wired different, just need to know which wires control what.

Comment

I have an Asperger's kid, and I promise you there isn't a better golden hearted kid on the planet....as a young boy he struggled with vocabulary and social situations, he needed a set of rules for everything, it was certainly a lot of work at times. He would get overloaded from a sensory standpoint, but he was learning, cataloging and figuring it out.

The biggest thing you can do for your son is to get him into therapy, because he will learn differently and early intervention is key. Several Dr's and professionals gave us early diagnosis and outlooks that weren't always great, but I can tell you that it doesn't mean squat because the variation from kid to kid on the spectrum is so great.
                Get to work with him, I get frustrated at parents who ignore or dismiss the issues because they don't want to deal with the "disappointment" or they are just ill-equipped.
                I credit my wife who was a tireless learner/researcher/advocate for my son, in school with Dr's and therapist, it is a lot of time and effort, but it pays off!

Today my son is in college living on his own and is in the honors program. He isn't a typical 19 year old but he literally is the best of us. Continue to dream big for that young man, we all are different created by God for a purpose and he has one.

I would say don't let any stone go unturned, the intervention and help he gets now will pay off huge for his future. My prayers are with you guys!!

Comment

I am stepdad t a 12 year old boy with Aspergers he has never had a father figure until I came in the picture 2 years ago.He seems mostly normal most of the time but he’s a handful.Trying to reach him and connect with him is a struggle he sees people and the world very differently.Training and discipline are a real challenge he really doesn’t understand why he can’t do what he wants when he wants at any time.Once he learned about consistent consequences for bad or unacceptable behavior it was a game changer.He enjoys the outdoors in short increments he is really stuck in electronics most of the time.I started reading Bible stories to him about a year ago and the results were amazing it’s really the only thing that has connected us and has helped me introduce Jehovah and Jesus to him in an understandable way and he gets it.He remembers the stories and explains them to me weeks later.This kid can’t remember what he has for breakfast each day but he remembers the Bible stories almost perfectly.It’s got to be Holy Spirit filling in because it’s that profound.I really have to pray for patience and understanding because he really can test me,I have to remember he’s wired differently and most of the time the trouble he causes is not his fault.I’m trying to train him to identify issues by observation because he doesn’t have the normal emotional awareness of other people.This has been a hugely overwhelming but rewarding task.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                    I don't want to say that processed foods and chemicals are the cause or contribute to the syndrome, but I'm not a scientist so I can't confirm or deny that.

I do however, think, that it has more to do with the medical community making advancements in diagnosing this type of thing.

Like ADHD - when we were younger, kids with severe ADHD were just, "bad kids" - now we know that there is a chemical imbalance causing that behavior. Maybe not the best example because we affectively use meth to treat the cause, but I think it gets my point across.
                    definitely.

Comment

At times our son will say something so profound that it literally knocks you off your feet. And ditto what the dads above have said. Those kids are in there. They just can’t get out. And btw, they understand much more than you think they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        At times our son will say something so profound that it literally knocks you off your feet. And ditto what the dads above have said. Those kids are in there. They just can’t get out. And btw, they understand much more than you think they do.
                        That is so true. My son has no filter and I have to watch what he is saying when we are around other people. There is also no volume control. He will say most things loudly...
                        Last edited by roberts; 06-08-2021, 12:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add volume

Comment

My sister in law almost got me and her husband in a fight, literally. And our son waited till Thanksgiving dinner to let the whole table know, came outta left field. He said “you made my dad mad. He took your picture and threw it across the living room”. My sister in law apologized to him but when he came out with it it was so quiet you could hear a mouse whiz on a ball of cotton!

Comment

When my son was first diagnosed I took it hard. I have shared that with many in the years since to help anyone else we’ve come across in dealing with whatever emotions they may experience. This guy is incredibly brilliant and it’s been a great journey together with all the things he’s done. I have no doubt he will be another story like some of the above posted. He’s certainly not in to baseball like his dad, but he loves some hiking and fighting a good fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Threads like this are always therapeutic. You realize that your not alone, that your not the only one going through this. Like cancer, heart conditions, knee replacements etc etc. it’s this inconvenient thing called “life”. Another thing I’ve experienced is that most people would always ask my wife “how are you doing” but never bothered to ask me. Like men don’t have feelings as well. To them all we think about is beer, boobs, and sausage festivals. Dang I just nailed it!

Comment

Just because he does not talk does not mean he has autism. Lots of time boys are just slow talker. I have a sons one 6 and ones 4, the 4 years old talks some and just now the 6 years is saying more and more. Both boys knows there colors letters and number. Both these boys are spoiled to the max thanks to me and my wife and never have to ask for anything because we make sure they have it.
                                i Work offshore and last night i face time him and my 6 year old said daddy and i love u and this morning my wife sent me a video of him saying a bunch of word, it brought me to tears. Im always miss them but hearing him talk is making it even worse on me, im ready to get home now!

Kids will talk when they want to and nothing is a matter with that, the problem is DR labeling kids. We do bring both boys to speech therapy and no one up there ever said anything about them having autism. They are both loving and caring boys

Comment

Working...
                                X