Ag exemption transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ag exemption transfer

I recently bought some land in the Hico area with an ag exemption in place.
    The property is split by Erath and Hamilton County.

The previous owner leased the property for cows.

Since I live in the DFW area and can’t be at the property full time, I agreed to allow the current cow lease to remain in place so that I can keep the exemption.

My questions:

How do I go about transferring and maintaining the ag exemption in my name?

What information will they require?

Would it be better to change to wildlife exemption?
    If so, do you still get the same benefits as ag exemption?

I plan to always run cattle on the place just to keep grass back.

Thanks in advance!

When the paperwork goes through the tax office(s) with the change of ownership you will have to fill out some paperwork to keep the land under ag exemption (nothing really to it), just make sure you do it so the exemption doesnt expire. If you plane to continue running cows on it I dont see a need to change to wildlife. Tax breaks are the same with ag or wildlife

Comment

AG

You will want to file an application for 1-d-1 ag valuation ("ag exemption) in each of the counties.

In your situation you'll probably find it easier to just maintain ag vs wildlife.

I'd recommend you have your lessee sign a written grazing lease that you could show to the appraisal districts if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by McCEC View Post
        You will want to file an application for 1-d-1 ag valuation ("ag exemption) in each of the counties.

In your situation you'll probably find it easier to just maintain ag vs wildlife.

I'd recommend you have your lessee sign a written grazing lease that you could show to the appraisal districts if needed.
        This, but I'd provide the grazing lease with the AG application you file for 2022.

Comment

It should have been done by the end of April. Hopefully you just bought it.

Comment

Agreed with what's been said. I have a pretty detailed grazing lease that is probably a bit overboard but I sent it to the appraisal district each year until they told me to stop. Also getting a timber management plan done for free from the A&M Ag extension office can make the process easier especially for any timber or streamside management zones.

Comment

Thanks all for the info. Finally spoke to the appraisal departments in both counties. Since I just bought the property, I will be able to apply in January 2022.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

it should just swing over to your name for this year since it was already in Ag from previous owner. It has to be in Ag-use though for 5 of the last 7 yrs in order to maintain it/keep it in Ag. You should be good with the cows though when you apply next Jan.
                Wildlife exemption would be much easier to maintain and since the land is already in Ag (the main requirement), you can just submit your application for the xfr next Jan. and you'll be set, if you go that route. Do it for both counties though.
                Good luck!

Comment

If you go the wildlife management route, you really aren't changing anything as the property will still be in Ag. You would just use wildlife management to maintain ag as opposed to running cows, cutting hay, etc., so no difference in benefits at all. Easy conversion. But, if you intend to continue running cows at the rate required by the county (which will be a high enough density to be detrimental to wildlife and habitat), there would be no point in doing the wildlife tax valuation.

Comment

In Leon County I had to submit paperwork before it expired at the end of the April (bought property in December). Mine is Timber so I resubmitted the paperwork and new timber management plan to CAD.

Comment

I was in this same situation this year. Bought last year, so I had to apply myself this Spring. I made a new lease agreement and had the neighbor sign it with both of our names on it which I submitted with my application.

Comment

Working...
                      X