Chisel Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chisel Box

Chisels thrown in a drawer doesn't help them any so their own box was needed. A recent issue of Woodsmith had one in it and I took that and adjusted it a little. Also tried out a few new methods. All the wood used on this box came from members on www.woodbarter.com. The box frame is curly white oak from Pennsylvania, the walnut splines are from Virginia.

The inlays are cutoffs from a guy in Maryland that makes herringbone rolling pins. He first glues up a rectangular blank and then slices the corners off with his band saw before taking them to his lathe. I took the scraps and refined them down to various lengths and widths for inlays.

The lid panel is zebrawood BUT it's veneer from a huge box of veneer that I got from a member in Kentucky. My first attempt at veneer and certainly not my last. Thanks for looking. Had fun trying some new techniques!!

Those antique brass lid supports are going to be changed out with polished brass ones as soon as they arrive!
    Attached Files

Very nice !!

Comment

very nice! nothing wrong with veneers it's an art of its own!

Comment

Very nice! I spent some time on that website you listed too.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
          Very nice! I spent some time on that website you listed too.
          It's a great place for woodworkers!! I was showing my wife a flyer, Woodcraft I think, that was advertising cutting board kits. The exotic wood ones were going for $89 + shipping. There's a member on WB selling kits, which are a little larger, for $13 +shipping. His wood is top notch.

Thanks for the nice words

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
            It's a great place for woodworkers!! I was showing my wife a flyer, Woodcraft I think, that was advertising cutting board kits. The exotic wood ones were going for $89 + shipping. There's a member on WB selling kits, which are a little larger, for $13 +shipping. His wood is top notch.

Thanks for the nice words
            I definitely plan on looking at it more and will probably join. I haven't been doing wood stuff long so still learning. Funny you mentioned cutting boards because that's what I was doing this morning. Had some scraps so cut and glued up a couple small ones.
            Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful work, and great close up pics show all the detail you built into this cool project.

Comment

Nice box. Now get some nice chisels... If you ever need small wood, I have a lot. Right doug?

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                  Nice box. Now get some nice chisels... If you ever need small wood, I have a lot. Right doug?
                  Yes sir you do! .

I use stuff I got from you all the time.

Comment

Nice box. Now get some nice chisels...
                    LOL I'm working my way towards some..which do you suggest

If you ever need small wood, I have a lot. Right doug?
                    Sent you a PM

Comment

Dang! Looks good! I've also checked out that woodworking site.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                        Dang! Looks good! I've also checked out that woodworking site.
                        Just bought some 8/4 yellowheart for $15/bf. Try to find any at those prices anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                          Just bought some 8/4 yellowheart for $15/bf. Try to find any at those prices anywhere!
                          They have some nice stuff for sure! I'm getting some of those cutting board kits you suggested. I'm still figuring it out but I like that site.

Comment

Very nice. Serves a good purpose.

Comment

Working...
                            X