Anyone Ever Lived in Minneapolis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Ever Lived in Minneapolis?

Well we were really hoping our next move would take us to Dallas but just got word that we will be relocating to Minneapolis. Pretty shocked and honestly super disappointed, but hoping I’m wrong and it’ll be a great new location for us. Anyways, hoping to get some information from people in the know about what the best places to look for houses are within a 45 minute drive to NW Minneapolis. We have two young children so great schools are a must, would prefer to stay under 500k if possible.

Never lived there, only been in the airport. Have heard it is a good town for foodies. Obviously cold as **** in winter. Major downside is Ilhan Omar lives there and is voted in by locals. Good luck with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Didn't blm just burn it down?

Comment

Wow. Condolences.

What do you do for a living? I would seriously consider switching careers.

Comment

it gets dang cold. Try ice fishing. Lots of bird hunting and huge deer.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            Wow. Condolences.

What do you do for a living? I would seriously consider switching careers.

Thanks, I’m not excited but it is what it is and we don’t have a say in the matter. We will be moving, so we will just need to make the most of it. I’m in transportation however it’s my wife’s career that is moving us this time. I should be able to transfer to our office there and work a 3 on 4 off 4 on 3 off schedule with 12 hour shifts that rotate every other month.

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            Didn't blm just burn it down?

Yes, the entire city is gone, thanks for your insight.

Comment

I've never been there, but have some friends that moved up there a couple years ago. At least by their accounts, it's sort of like TX in that there are kind of only 2 seasons; but opposite with winter being harsh and summer being somewhat mild. There's just not much to spring and fall. There's tons of natural lakes up there, but they do ice over in the winter but ice fishing is a big thing. Outside of the major metro areas, even in the suburbs, they said many folks are pretty down to earth.

I don't think I could get past the winter. They said there literally are a few months of the year that people don't go outside much at all. There's a reason the Mall of America is the largest indoor mall in the US.

Regardless, they like it up there and they aren't liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                I've never been there, but have some friends that moved up there a couple years ago. At least by their accounts, it's sort of like TX in that there are kind of only 2 seasons; but opposite with winter being harsh and summer being somewhat mild. There's just not much to spring and fall. There's tons of natural lakes up there, but they do ice over in the winter but ice fishing is a big thing. Outside of the major metro areas, even in the suburbs, they said many folks are pretty down to earth.

I don't think I could get past the winter. They said there literally are a few months of the year that people don't go outside much at all. There's a reason the Mall of America is the largest indoor mall in the US.

Thanks Dave. I am concerned about the cold temps but not as much as I would be if we were moving directly from Texas, we’re currently in Nebraska so while MN is still significantly colder than here we won’t be going from one extreme to the other. I am worried about the political climate there and being able to find any like-minded individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post

Sounds great!

Comment

Just like there are liberals in Texas, there will be conservatives In Minnesota. Best of luck I don’t think you will find it much different than Nebraska. Just embrace the the things that appeal to you.

Comment

Beautiful country all around Minneapolis. Only 2 hours to Osage,Iowa also.I love it up there.The amount of festivals,and country fairs in the Summer is amazing.Always something to do,and see.The fishing is world class!

Comment

Edina always seems to have a good high school hockey team.

Comment

My brother lived there for several years. He has lived in many places, his kids mostly grew up in overseas locations. He moved there from Singapore and said it was COLD. His daughter graduated HS and she moved to Hawaii to attend college, she lasted a semester, and thenday she was dropped off at the airport was the day brother started packing and put his house on the market, moving to the Vegas area.

Probably not much input....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Never lived there but I used to spend a bunch of time in Northern Minnesota fishing.....7-8 years in a row, 8-10 days at a time. Absolutely incredible. That whole state is a freshwater fisherman's dream from May to October...

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                              Thanks, I’m not excited but it is what it is and we don’t have a say in the matter. We will be moving, so we will just need to make the most of it. I’m in transportation however it’s my wife’s career that is moving us this time. I should be able to transfer to our office there and work a 3 on 4 off 4 on 3 off schedule with 12 hour shifts that rotate every other month.

Yes, the entire city is gone, thanks for your insight.
                              Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                              Just like there are liberals in Texas, there will be conservatives In Minnesota. Best of luck I don’t think you will find it much different than Nebraska. Just embrace the the things that appeal to you.

Like Kdog said there are some salt-of-the-earth folks up there. I have met a few from MN, they didn't live in the twin cities. Probably some conservative, sane, suburb you can find.

What does your wife do? Just curious.

On a positive note, some of the best deer genetics in the world are there. Pretty good public land too if you work for it I have heard.

Post up how it goes for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X