Torn Maniscus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torn Maniscus

Doc says I may have one in my right knee. Had xrays Monday see the ortho on the 31.
    On a repair what can I exspect.
    Im 67

I had mine removed on Friday and at work that Monday. Keep the ice on it and swelling down. Not a big issue other than the bill...$$$

Comment

You'll be walking the next day but sore.

Comment

results vary, some are near normal pretty soon, they told my wife she would be back to normal in 4-6 weeks, we are now over 12 weeks in and it still huts her every step and he is now saying she should never run again which is not setting well at all

Comment

I have a complete tear in mine. Happened chasing cows back in December and just had an MRI about 6 weeks ago. Went to the ortho a few weeks ago expecting to get set up for surgery and he told me(I am 55) that he could do surgery and clean it out but it probably wouldn't fix it long term. Instead he gave me a cortisone shot. It took about 5 days to kick in but it has made a big difference in the pain. I know it isn't a fix but he said there really isn't a long term fix.

Comment

I didn't have a torn meniscus, but they removed my left knee synovium (lining of the joint) via scope in January. The Ortho compared the two as being pretty close on recovery and the like though completely different procedures. I was walking with a cane on the first day and used it for a few more. 12 week PT prescription, but they released me after 6. I worked really hard on all the exercises/movements to try and recover as quick as I could. Glad I had it done!

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
            Instead he gave me a cortisone shot. It took about 5 days to kick in but it has made a big difference in the pain.
            I also went cortisone prior to having the procedure. That stuff definitely works. Injection isn't too bad but a bit of a hassle to go up there every 6 weeks or so.
            Last edited by mzurovec; 08-16-2022, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wow View Post
              Doc says I may have one in my right knee. Had xrays Monday see the ortho on the 31.
              On a repair what can I exspect.
              Im 67
              I've had both knees worked on for that. Recovery really depends on the extent of the damage and how good your ortho is.

My first one, the ortho didn't bother to tell me he may have to use a tourniquet until I went to see him for my follow up 1 week post op. I had a huge bruise from the bottom of my left butt cheek to my knee and it felt like my leg was going to burn off. That changed when I was advised to switch from heat to ice. I swore I was gonna kill him.

The second one on the other knee went much better with a different ortho. No tourniquet, pain was much more manageable and I was back to work in two weeks I think.

It's not a bad surgery. Not as bad as the hip replacement I had later.

Comment

Shredded mine in 2017. Had it taken out and cadaver one put in. That was 6 weeks after the ACL replacement. I would take ACL replacement 5 more times before another meniscus replacement. Had to keep weight off of it for 6 weeks and in a straight brace. I hope your experience is different.

Comment

I have one torn in my left knee. Got the shot back in April or May, and it’s been pretty good since then. I can tell it is not “right” though. I’m 61.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had my left knee done back in 2015, they removed the torn part. I walked out of the hospital. No crutches needed and they encouraged me to walk on it, but light walking. Had to keep it iced and elevated for a couple of days, which was the hardest part of the recovery.

Comment

if its torn slightly, then I'd go with the shot or two, to see if it calms down the irritation inside and let it heal on its own. And take it easy on it, no running !!!
                      At least it worked that way with me, may not be for everyone. Sure beats surgery though.

Comment

There are numerous studies reflecting garden variety meniscal tears may be best left alone. This does not apply to bucket handle tears where you are having locking/catching. As mentioned, recovery depends on amount of tissue removed and if you have spurring etc. that needs to be dealt with. At 67, you probably have medial plica that may be addressed as well if sx is performed.

Comment

I’d get injections for a while, I do my overhaul surgeries after deer season but that surgery is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. I was back working 7 days after having it replaced. If I had only one recommendation that would be to invest in an Ice Machine, injections, surgery or simply a sore leg there worth thr weight in gold. I’ve had a ton of surgeries on joints and I’d take the ice machine over pain meds any day but both together work really really good LOL.

Comment

Tore mine pretty bad about five years ago. Walked same day but sore. Did the physical therapy and was sprinting on concrete in a few months. Everyone is different though.

Comment

i work in MR and I can tell you my opinion.
                              Unless it is a severe tear ie bucket handle or similar just leave it alone.
                              Once they go in and remove it that leaves little to no cushion and your going to develop arthritic changes when the bones start to wear into each other... may not happen right away but it will

I'm crawling on ground before mine is ever cut out-

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X