No announcement yet.

Why do people kill themselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a caring man in another state who helped many farmers with repairing large pieces of farm equipment. It wasn’t just farm equipment that he worked on. Farming full time for a living is a tough job and this guy knew all too well how hard it can be. He gave out his phone number to offer free advice over the phone to anyone. I never met him in person, but he came across as a very caring individual. A span of time went by and nobody could reach him. He seemingly disappeared and people started to wonder what happened to him. Then one day an online obituary appeared after a search. Others found out through his family that he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and saw no way out. He committed suicide on the railroad tracks.

Comment

Unbearable pain either mental or physical with (in their mind) no way out or end in sight. No hope left and/or reasons to live are gone. Most suffering from depression or anxiety. Truly a sad place to be. It gets better but you can’t convince them of that most of the time.

I’ve been in some tight spots in this life but what got me through those times was the knowledge God put me here for a reason and I’ll never give up
      until the Lord calls me home.
      Last edited by sharkhunter; 08-13-2022, 11:16 PM.

Comment

The only people with real answers would be those who have seriously contemplated it or survived an attempt. They could tell you what it’s like at the precipice or surviving the fall. It’s far more complicated than “oh I’m bummed,
        Life sucks”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My cousin shot himself with a 12 gauge when I was young (6 or 7). He was my hero growing up. He faced problems at school with bullies and his parents had just gotten a divorce. I'm not sure what motivated him, but I sure wish he had taken a different approach. His sisters always worry about the teenage kids in our family after that. God bless all the people who feel there's no other way out!

Comment

Our minds are the most powerful thing that we have. I really don't think anyone is above depression or the feeling of despair. I used to think suicide was probably the most cowardly act a person could carry out. But as I lived life and saw different occurrences play out it somewhat swayed my opinion to some extent.

I know/knew three people who you'd never expect to kill themselves actually go through with it. They suffered from physical pain day in and day out. I don't know what that's like. They weren't bad people they were just tired of fighting a losing war against themselves. Was it sad and seemingly unnecessary? Yes, of course. But I wouldn't say they were cowards. Matter of fact I'll go so far as to say they were brave. They had family and friends that they loved and that loved them. They made the conscious decision to leave them forever instead of being miserable and dragging them along for the ride. They made the journey that is a fear of everyone whether they admit it or not. Nobody wants to die but some choose to because they feel like that's what's best for everyone. Whether true or not I don't know. Maybe in some cases it is.

If I knew I was on my way out. If no amount of medicine in the world could save me I think I'd feel the same way. I wouldn't put a financial or emotional strain on anyone I love. They'd go through the pain and grief either way. I wouldn't make them see me die in front of them. Some might think slowly dying in front of your family is the way to go about it. I think different.

We never know what a person is going through. Like I said, the mind is a powerful thing. I think we all have the power to overcome the biggest obstacles we face. But we also have the ability to make ant hills into mountains.

It's hard to figure out why people do anything. I watched a show once where a lady was addicted to eating Styrofoam mattresses and stuff. Does anything we do really make sense? Even going to work and making money is a made up concept. We're just here for however long and then we die. Just roll with it and wait for your turn. Stick around and see how things play out, or don't. In the grand scheme of things it ain't gonna make much of a difference. The sun will come up and go down again whether you're around to see it or not.
            Last edited by okrattler; 08-14-2022, 02:50 AM.

Comment

If they are on antidepressants.....they may not be able to control the urge for self harm.

Comment

They are selfish. Had several happen in our family and what those folks left behind is a mess for people to clean up, physically, emotionally, and financially. As mentioned above a relationship with God might have saved them. Aside from obvious mental/depressive state they take the easy road. I hate that people get into such a desperate spot but if it’s passed the point of turning them around I’d rather they hurt themselves than walk into a mall or theater and kill a bunch of people. I can’t quite understand even if their health is failing and a diagnosis is terminal. It’s my belief we all have a purpose and path set forth by God at any given point in our lives, and to take his plan for us and our families and throw it away is selfish.
                Last edited by stickman; 08-14-2022, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I've been in a dark place where I can relate. Grief and pain can be unbearable at times. Like a dark cloud that follows you around constantly...it can consume you. It's hard to explain to those that don't understand. It's a terrible feeling when it seems there's absolutely no hope left and no way out. Like there's a "finality" and hopelessness where nothing can ever be repaired and will ever be the same.

I feel for these people but I also get mad as hell at them. LIVING is the courageous part. When someone kills themself they leave behind their loved ones to pick up the pieces and deal with the traumatic aftermath. I'm sure that can be overwhelming for the survivors at times.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                    We can't know some things

Wise words. Goes for lots of things but we humans posses the hubris to think otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pro 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

Comment

“When the pain of life outweighs the fear of death”

Most succinct way I’ve heard it explained

Comment

Two brothers across the street. Billy was one of the fingers on my hand. The second brother had a conversation with me in the middle of the street one minute before he used a 12 gauge on his head. That conversation is one of worst situations that I gave up on handling cause there wasn’t enough gas in my tank after Billy. Now they both gently haunt me. Sometimes I will think of them for days strung together and this was 2 decades ago. I blame heroin but I know its bigger than just depression coming down

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post

I’ve been in some tight spots in this life but what got me through those times was the knowledge God put me here for a reason and I’ll never give up
                            until the Lord calls me home.
                            This ^^^ and the fact that there is always another deer and duck season just around the corner to look forward to.

Comment

Farmers suicide needs its own thread 3 dead close

Comment

Many people have permanent health issues that may not be obvious. Chronic pain, vestibular disorders, etc can be hard to see from the outside but a life of hell on the inside.

Comment

Working...
                                X