Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who on here had an AR/AK style gun before 2004?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who on here had an AR/AK style gun before 2004?

All these gun debates after the recent shootings have me thinking about a few things. I'm merely playing devils advocate here and hoping for a tame discussion. I'm a complete 2A guy and like most on here own more guns than I would ever need but can you actually have too many? I like practical guns and a variety of weapons for different uses and calibers. I am not nor have I ever been an "AR guy, or a suppressor guy or high end gun guy". I'm a practical use gun guy. I'm primarily an archery guy. So take that info for what it is as it pertains to the conversation.

Here's a couple questions;
    Who on here had an AR/AK style rifle before 2004?
    If you are truly protecting your family in your home from an intruder is the AR the go to weapon?
    Besides a real firefight with the Russians or China when they invade or chasing pigs from a helicopter when do you ever use or need a 30round mag?
    If the 1994-2004 assault weapon ban was extended to current times and the amount of AR weapons in public was alot less than it is now would we be any less safe in our homes and would we not be able to hunt with say a mini 14 and a 10round mag? I just don't remember seeing tons of AR style weapons before the mid 2000's besides a few old AK47. Seems like majority of AR owners bought their first after 2004. Seemed like we were ok during that time frame.

If someone kicks in my door I'm grabbing a shotgun or pistol. I also can't afford to go to the range and blow thru 5-10 30round mags of 556/223. So if I'm just wanting to shoot I would be just as well off with a small capacity bolt or semi auto rifle or a pistol.

In the case of the Uvalde school shooting and other school shootings in confined space they would have prob been more efficient with a shotgun as well which has never been talked bad about or banned.

Just seems all the focus is always on AR/AK style weapons when honestly I think they have more wow factor than function for the good guys and the bad.

Most people that have bought them buy them and trick them out to look cool or pretty. They rarely use them beside shooting targets at the range and God willing thats all they will ever be used for.
    If the 1994 assault weapons ban had never ended I would still be able to hunt and protect my family as well as any time before or after. I can say this completely honest, if that ban was still in place not much in my life would be different except my bank account.

Whats yalls thoughts? Remember no flaming me or others, just curious how most feel about them.
    Last edited by KactusKiller; 07-05-2022, 04:57 PM.

Me. Still have a Bushmaster XM-15 model.

It came as a 20” rifle while the AWB was still in effect. Had a fixed stock and 20” barrel. It doesn’t look much like that anymore, and still runs like a too.

Comment

I can tell you 2 things. Before Clinton's assault weapon ban AR's and AK's were in the $300 range at tops. And I don't target shoot with mine. I hunt with them.

Comment

Me

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
          Me. Still have a Bushmaster XM-15 model.

It came as a 20” rifle while the AWB was still in effect. Had a fixed stock and 20” barrel. It doesn’t look much like that anymore, and still runs like a too.
          I don't remember all the specifics of the AWB because I didn't have the money to buy one back then and never really had the urge to either. I need to look back and see what the details were, it just doesn't seem like an AR was an overly popular gun until mid 2000's now they are everywhere and a hot topic when I don't think they should be.

Comment

I did not own an ar prior to 2004. Once they got popular and tried them I am hooked. Low recoil, ergonomic, accurate, what's not to like? I don't use 30 round mags much but don't want the government telling me not to. I actually prefer other calibers to 5.56 nowadays as well. My 6.5 Grendel is an awesome deer and pig rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              I can tell you 2 things. Before Clinton's assault weapon ban AR's and AK's were in the $300 range at tops. And I don't target shoot with mine. I hunt with them.
              I have and do hunt with them also, BUT, if you didn't have an AR would you not be able to hunt anymore or as effectively? Everything I have ever shot with an AR I could have shot with any other rifle in my safe. I do think we should have the right to choose, I'm just asking if we didn't have AR platform rifles would much change in our lives?

Comment

I can tell you that the .223 round is a better home defense round than a pistol cartridge, predicated on the fact that it has weak penetration through obstructions such as drywall, installation, wood, etc.

This is why most tactical carbine instructors use them for home defense. You are less likely to harm anyone on the other side of the wall.
                Last edited by 12RingKing; 07-05-2022, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                  I don't remember all the specifics of the AWB because I didn't have the money to buy one back then and never really had the urge to either. I need to look back and see what the details were, it just doesn't seem like an AR was an overly popular gun until mid 2000's now they are everywhere and a hot topic when I don't think they should be.
                  Oh, they were popular. The 1994 AWB, for the most part anyway, was useless. The same rifles were available after it went into effect as were before. You just had to limit how many specific things were on a rifle when you bought it before the sunset.

That really could’ve been the most useless piece of legislation ever passed. Think about that for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                    I did not own an ar prior to 2004. Once they got popular and tried them I am hooked. Low recoil, ergonomic, accurate, what's not to like? I don't use 30 round mags much but don't want the government telling me not to. I actually prefer other calibers to 5.56 nowadays as well. My 6.5 Grendel is an awesome deer and pig rifle.
                    I do agree on the recoil aspect, one of my favorites is the remington R15. But honestly a bolt action 223 doesn't have much recoil either.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                      I have and do hunt with them also, BUT, if you didn't have an AR would you not be able to hunt anymore or as effectively? Everything I have ever shot with an AR I could have shot with any other rifle in my safe. I do think we should have the right to choose, I'm just asking if we didn't have AR platform rifles would much change in our lives?
                      Yes, and if we didn't have pickups we would drive cars.

Comment

Another note, the AR platform is one of the most versatile weapons you can own. A simple upper changeout can yield you a multitude of different calibers you can utilize for different situations. They are easy in operation and dependable.

Ask the Ukrainians if they need “assault” weapons now. I bet their ideas have drastically changed over the past 4 months.

Remember, the argument against AR/AK platform and high capacity magazines is completely unconstitutional. No where does it mention anything about hunting. Your right to a weapon is to arm yourself against a treasonous government, which we are seeing more and more each day.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                          I can tell you that the .223 round is a better home defense round than a pistol cartridge, predicated on the fact that it has week penetration through obstructions such as drywall, installation, wood, etc.

This is why most tactical carbine instructors use them for home defense. You are less likely to harm anyone on the other side of the wall.
                          Better than 00Buck in a shotgun? Def not more accurate in a home inside tight quarters. Most everyday home owners aren't tac instructors and are prob buying the cheapest ammo possible like FMJ and not many home walls gonna stop a FMJ at close range.

Comment

Purchased my first one in the late 80’s. Have bought a few more since then. Have one in 458 Socom that is my hog gun. Agree with Bucksmasher, don’t need the Govt telling me what mag I can use. Just because some demented individuals do stupid crap, don’t limit what I can own. Treat the cause and apply mandatory death sentences to all convicted mass shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                              Another note, the AR platform is one of the most versatile weapons you can own. A simple upper changeout can yield you a multitude of different calibers you can utilize for different situations. They are easy in operation and dependable.

Ask the Ukrainians if they need “assault” weapons now. I bet their ideas have drastically changed over the past 4 months.

Remember, the argument against AR/AK platform and high capacity magazines is completely unconstitutional. No where does it mention anything about hunting. Your right to a weapon is to arm yourself against a treasonous government, which we are seeing more and more each day.
                              I don't think anyone here is arguing the constitutional right at all, my conversation is merely based on practical use not legal use.

Lets discuss practicality for majority of American gun owners not constitutional 2A rights.

Comment

Working...
                              X