Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbolt engine replacement

Who has used these guys?
    I got a quote from them and I think it is a fair deal but I wanted to check if anyone has firsthand experience with them.
    Thanks for any info you have.

Not first hand, but one of my employees several years ago.

It was an absolute disaster. I honestly do not remember specifics but he had to take it back to them several times and I think he ended up just selling the vehicle.

Not like it was new with a bunch of electronics either. This was on an older Grand Wagoneer, which was otherwise in very good shape.

Comment

No first hand info here but I do know 2 people who have had good luck with them. Both Chevy engines..
      They have been in business for many years.

Comment

They have been around several decades so they must be doing something right.

Comment

They put the YEE-HAW back in your motor and transmission

Comment

I do remember a blonde woman in a convertible, in their commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
              I do remember a blonde woman in a convertible, in their commercials.
              I do as well. No help to OP though.

Comment

One of my buddies had his eco boost f-150 rebuilt at the one in Houston. He didn’t make it to the highway after leaving before it broke down. Had it towed back and a few months later got it back. He put 6k miles on it before it exploded. We were headed back from the lake pulling my boat. When we looked under the hood it was embarrassing, almost as a kid just started putting bolts and screws in random places. They refused to fix it this time and blamed him having a cold air intake which was on it when they rebuilt it. I’d stay away from that one.

Comment

Had them rebuild a f-head 4 cylinder jeep engine about 8 years ago. Very pleased

Comment

How does the Thunderbolt quote compare a Jasper quote?

I put a Jasper engine in my Bronco then it had a rear main seal leak within warranty period. Jasper's labor pay-out was less than my shop would do the job for, so I paid the difference. That cost me $500, which I think was about half the cost of a rear main seal job. I did it once on that truck so I did not want to do it again, but I knew what a pain i the neck that job is, so I was happy to pay the difference.

Consider the real price of any actual warranty work into you final decision. I'd buy another Jasper engine if I needed one.

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post

I put a Jasper engine in my Bronco then it had a rear main seal leak within warranty period. Jasper's labor pay-out was less than my shop would do the job for, so I paid the difference. That cost me $500, which I think was about half the cost of a rear main seal job. I did it once on that truck so I did not want to do it again, but I knew what a pain i the neck that job is, so I was happy to pay the difference.

Consider the real price of any actual warranty work into you final decision. I'd buy another Jasper engine if I needed one.
                      I hear good things about Jasper from mechanics. I've heard and read more bad stuff than good about Thunderbolt from mechanics and customers alike. I'd avoid them based on what I've heard but have no personal experience with either.

Comment

There are better places around Houston for Engines and transmission work. What are you actually looking to have done.

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post

I’m trying to get a shop to o give me a quote on a Jasper engine.
                          I’ll update when I get that. If anyone can recommend a shop that deals with Jasper engine please share.
                          Thanks
                          Last edited by Crazzy; 08-16-2022, 09:54 PM. Reason: Let out info

Comment

For what It’s worth at this point, I had Thunderbolt rebuild Ford 300 6cylinder about 20 years ago. I was pleased with the result.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                              There are better places around Houston for Engines and transmission work. What are you actually looking to have done.
                              I know I will need to replace my 5.7 Hemi in the near future.
                              Who do you recommend. I definitely like all the god things I have heard about Jasper engines.

Comment

Working...
                              X