Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the new adventure sir.

Comment

Four acres beats living in town. Congrats Sir !

Comment

Feller might could bow hunt a place like that, congratulations!

Comment

Heck yeah. Looks great. Any move away from town is a good move.

Comment

Question on setting temporary electric pole.

I could probably get away with have the co-op setting the t pole by the entrance at no charge. But, my building will be setting 300-350ft away.

What would be best solution to getting power at shop site? Run long azz extension cords?
            Install a secondary t pole at shop site? Have co-op run it all the way to shop site?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have Entergy where I am at. If you are putting in a 4 Ton or bigger AC they will run it where you want it. They are setting 2 telephone poles, a tie back and temp pole for whopping sum of $0. It would be worth talking to there field designer to see what they say. I was expecting to drop several thousand so when they told me it would be free I was pleasantly surprised.

On your clearing I would highly recommend renting a track skid steer with a brush cutter. I just cleared underbrush and undesired trees 5" and smaller on 14 acres with one. Only cost me $1500

Comment

Extension cords probably aren't going to meet your needs. I'd see what the cost of having the pole set at shop site costs, then evaluate. And congrats on a nice place.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yall are in for a great ride, congrats on the new place. I started my place with only hand tools and quickly learned it is possible but you can do better. Equipment rental is a really good way to get you a quick start with the clearing. As mentioned look into a brush cutter and a grapple on a skid steer. Also, you can set that pole just inside the property, to the side and out of eye shot from the entrance if there is a usable tap pole at the road. Run it a little way into the place and rent a trencher to run the power underground from there. I have used direct bury aluminum wire to power many things. You may want to have the water meter set close to the power pole as well, so you can tap into it with a continuous roll of poly pipe and set it in the same hole as the power. The last trencher I rented this year cost $200 for the weekend, and don't get one with tires, it needs tracks to get the job done. Just remember to keep the vision of the property and don't lose sight of the end product you want. HAVE FUN!

Comment

Congrats man!

Comment

Spent all day on the mower and made some progress. Going to put the chainsaw to use tomorrow.

Can yall ID these trees?

Comment

2nd tree pic looks like a pecan sapling
                        3rd may be an Ash tree?
                        Hard to tell with out seeing the trunk and bark also

Comment

Congrats sir! Looks like a cool little slice. Not sure on those trees. Pic one might be an Elm.

Agree with others on skid steer. Can make tons of progress in a day or two. I would set a pole halfway between house and shed. Maybe you could bury it from there to house and shop.

Comment

1 Cedar Elm ?
                            2nd Pecan
                            3rd looks like a Bois d'arc

Could be 0-3, get the Picture This app, be worth it for the amount of tree's you have out there. I have 27 acres and I'm constantly finding trees that I have no idea what they are.

Comment

After running 3 poles and the remaining 300’underground I really wish I had buried the whole line.
                              You might want power at the gate.
                              I ran my own black poly water line from the meter to the house. Very easy with a ditch witch. Even in Caliche type soil
                              I wouldn’t clear many young trees. Especially between your shop and the road Elm
                              and hackberry reportedly provide some nutrition for deer. Older trees die, fall, bugs, etc.
                              I personally like a few evergreen “cedars” for privacy and cover for wildlife.
                              Plant as many young quality mast/fruit trees as soon as possible this year. Remember to cage them from the rubbing bucks.
                              Congrats on your “thin” slice of Texas.

BP
                              Last edited by Big pig; 08-20-2022, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
                                1 Cedar Elm ?
                                2nd Pecan
                                3rd looks like a Bois d'arc

Could be 0-3, get the Picture This app, be worth it for the amount of tree's you have out there. I have 27 acres and I'm constantly finding trees that I have no idea what they are.
                                PictureThis app is awesome

1. Cedar Elm
                                2. Pecan
                                3. Southern Live Oak (I think)

Comment

Working...
                                X