No announcement yet.

Shootin shack build. 5x8 Box Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That property is beautiful, not a cedar in sight!

Comment

It’s great not having all the cedars. Apparently many moons ago the owner had cedar cutters come through and clear every cedar they could
      Find. There’s a few here and there now but they generally get cut down. Heck of a lot easier to stay on top of just a couple vs a pasture full.

Comment

Looks heavy, but sturdy.

Comment

Strongest deer blind ever, awesome!

Comment

Heavy

Comment

Well, opportunity presented itself and my new hunting pasture partner convinced me to sell him the shooting shack 1.0

So started on version 2.0 for myself and going to upgrade from the old original 4x6 I have hunted out of for the past 7 years.

This one is 6x8, I revamped the way I did the skids to get the bottom up away from the ground for some air and if they ever have to be removed and replaced they can. Or if I build a raised base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great ..Should be able to use for Storm Shelter if tied down

Comment

Built to last. Haha

I can stomach spending more for some 2x4x12’s but that plywood is still a killer.
                  Sure wish I had a good cost affective alternative vs paying 35 a sheet for 1/2 untreated and 55 plus for 3/4 treated.

Comment

Great looking blind.

In my experience, those vinyl roofing sheets will only last 2-3 years in the sun. Just keep an eye on them.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                      Built to last. Haha

I can stomach spending more for some 2x4x12’s but that plywood is still a killer.
                      Sure wish I had a good cost affective alternative vs paying 35 a sheet for 1/2 untreated and 55 plus for 3/4 treated.
                      For the same price you pay for three quarter inch treated you could save yourself money and weight by using hardie panels or smartside. Buy yourself a cement blade and work it just like you would a sheet of plywood.

Heck if you wanted to get crazy, skin it with some 7/16ths osb, put you some moisture barrier up, and then throw your hardie panel on it. This way if a panel gets busted its still mostly water tight until you can replace the panel.

Comment

Kill any deer out of the original blind? Great looking design! I have built a lot of blinds but I SUCK at building roofs. Always mess 'em up a like a soup sammich

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
                          Great looking blind.

In my experience, those vinyl roofing sheets will only last 2-3 years in the sun. Just keep an eye on them.
                          Yessir I already swapped them out on one of my original blinds. Learned that lesson

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post
                            For the same price you pay for three quarter inch treated you could save yourself money and weight by using hardie panels or smartside. Buy yourself a cement blade and work it just like you would a sheet of plywood.

Heck if you wanted to get crazy, skin it with some 7/16ths osb, put you some moisture barrier up, and then throw your hardie panel on it. This way if a panel gets busted its still mostly water tight until you can replace the panel.
                            The 3/4 treated was just for the floor. But then since I have a half a sheet left I use it on the roof also. Little overkill but I sure won’t use that on the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Kill any deer out of the original blind? Great looking design! I have built a lot of blinds but I SUCK at building roofs. Always mess 'em up a like a soup sammich
                              We did. Several culls and does, my wife shot a good heavy 8 her first year in the other blind. Highlight was a bonus young white fallow she got while preggo with our little one this passed season.

I can’t take entire credit on the design for the walls because the original idea came from plans I saw online once. But the skids and windows then how I do my roof and window eaves is all tweaking I did to that original look I found online.
                              Last edited by SwampBuck; 08-11-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                                The 3/4 treated was just for the floor. But then since I have a half a sheet left I use it on the roof also. Little overkill but I sure won’t use that on the sides.
                                Ahhh ok, I was like man that's pretty excessive. Thought maybe it was tornado/hurricane proof.

Comment

Working...
                                X