Asheville, NC - Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asheville, NC - Vacation

We are looking at a family trip (Wife and 2 daughters - 23 and 25) to Asheville around mid-October. I am doing some research and would like to get some feedback from TBHers that have visited the area.

Here's the "rough" idea I am working with:
    Fly from DFW area to ....? (where do y'all recommend Asheville, Charolette, or Greenville)
    Arrive on a Saturday, girls will probably return Tuesday and the wife and I may stay a few more days.

Need recommendations on:
    Places to Stay
    Restaurants
    Things to do (Wineries, Breweries, Concert Venues, etc. A hunt is not out of the question... )
    Places to visit while there

What else do you think we should know or consider about the area?

Thanks in advance!

Definitely do the Biltmore. I think there is a hotel right there too.

Visit Biltmore Estate: acres of gardens, miles of walking, hiking, and biking trails, the grandeur of Biltmore House, an award-winning Winery, and more await.

My cousin lives there. If you need recommendations on restaurants etc, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
      Definitely do the Biltmore. I think there is a hotel right there too.

Visit Biltmore Estate: acres of gardens, miles of walking, hiking, and biking trails, the grandeur of Biltmore House, an award-winning Winery, and more await.

My cousin lives there. If you need recommendations on restaurants etc, let me know.
      Will be sure to check it out and will definitely reach out if we decide to go there.

Thanks!

Comment

We went last fall to see the fall colors, so YMMV.

Sunny Point Cafe - Huevo Rancheros - best I've had.
        We also ate at Corner Kitchen, which is highly regarded, pricey, and IMHO overrated.
        We couldn't get reservations at Curate, but a friend said it was excellent.
        French Broad Chocolate if you're into sweets.
        We bar hopped around downtown for a while; pretty standard small city bar scene. There was a cool Library Bar and Saloon type with live BlueGrass music.

During the fall, the colors were awesome and we drove the Blue Ridge PKWY twice to see them. I assume it's still worth the drive in the spring/summer.

We hiked at Dupont State Park. Lots of cool hikes and waterfalls. Nothing we did was too strenuous.

We did not do the Biltmore. Two of my friends used to live nearby and know the area well - they basically just said it's an overpriced, overcrowded, fancy house and touristy shops. 220swift obviously disagrees, so maybe it's worthwhile.

The other things we did were also more fall-oriented; apple picking, pumpkin patches, and fall festival-type stuff. Nice city and a fun trip.

Comment

Grove Park Inn for supper and cocktails.

Biltmore. Take a couple days to take your time.

There is a arbor park near the Biltmore entrance thats nice to stroll.

Hump Mt Pisgah and Mt Mitchell.

Sierra Nevada taproom is nice but not Western NC O.G…carpetbaggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerslayersh View Post
            We went last fall to see the fall colors, so YMMV.

Sunny Point Cafe - Huevo Rancheros - best I've had.
            We also ate at Corner Kitchen, which is highly regarded, pricey, and IMHO overrated.
            We couldn't get reservations at Curate, but a friend said it was excellent.
            French Broad Chocolate if you're into sweets.
            We bar hopped around downtown for a while; pretty standard small city bar scene. There was a cool Library Bar and Saloon type with live BlueGrass music.

During the fall, the colors were awesome and we drove the Blue Ridge PKWY twice to see them. I assume it's still worth the drive in the spring/summer.

We hiked at Dupont State Park. Lots of cool hikes and waterfalls. Nothing we did was too strenuous.

We did not do the Biltmore. Two of my friends used to live nearby and know the area well - they basically just said it's an overpriced, overcrowded, fancy house and touristy shops. 220swift obviously disagrees, so maybe it's worthwhile.

The other things we did were also more fall-oriented; apple picking, pumpkin patches, and fall festival-type stuff. Nice city and a fun trip.

This is great info. We are looking at mid-October so the colors were discussed, as well as apple picking and hiking. I’m a girl dad so I’m just along for the ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
              Grove Park Inn for supper and cocktails.

Biltmore. Take a couple days to take your time.

There is a arbor park near the Biltmore entrance thats nice to stroll.

Hump Mt Pisgah and Mt Mitchell.

Sierra Nevada taproom is nice but not Western NC O.G…carpetbaggers.
              Thanks! Any chance to hit a brewery is ok with me!

Comment

Keep in mind that any time y'all are near any wooded areas, you are subject to see black bears. We had gone to a conference east of town, close to Black Mountain, and had bears around the campus almost daily. They aren't shy either.

I've been to Biltmore 3 times in my life and can say that it is well worth the time to visit. It is considerably more commercial now than it was on my first trip in the early 70's but not around the main house. The house with its French Renaissance architecture will take you back to another era.

Check it out and if it's not something that you want to go see, don't let your wife know anything about it.

Comment

I agree with the Biltmore. It is an amazing house, made even more amazing due to the era in which it was built.

Comment

Definitely Biltmore and Grove Park Restaurant. They have some pretty cool memorabilia stuff in hotel of former guests (presidents, politicians, movie stars, etc.).

Comment

Asheville overall has changed for the worse, the hippies/liberals aren’t similar to Austin. I used to think it was clean and eclectic but it is now a dirty place in my opinion. If you like hiking etc you can have a great time getting out of the city and enjoying the national forest tho. The hippies there aren’t smoking dope while functioning, they are strung out and will rob you.. come to Charleston if you have never been, much better choice in my opinion and a great time of year to be here. (Asheville proper isn’t that bad but I’d highly recommend not planning on just hanging out downtown etc, biltmore and go into flat rock for a day, sliding rock, etc could make the trip fun but I’d still come to Charleston if you’ve never been)

Comment

Also…

Frying Pan Lookout Tower
                        Super easy 1.5mile uphill fire road hike. You can see the Smokey Mountains and all the way to Tennessee to the north and the Blue Ridge Mountains and all the way to Georgia to the south…if the air is clear.

Whereas, seeing the Smokeys be smokey and the Blue Ridge be blue means the sky may not be clear to see the extreme distance…but thats what you want…the humidity.

Morning and evening time is majestic.

Comment

Great suggestions! Appreciate the info. Keep it coming!

Comment

We spent 2 days there during road trip through the mountains (blue ridge). Went to the Biltmore. It was ok. I can't see spending more than a day there though. I agree with trash2 on their focus to be on the weird side. So, I'd hit the country... maybe go north to the blue ridge.

We stayed at a bed and breakfast while we were there.

Comment

I second (third?) Biltmore. It is a nice place. Asheville is definitely the Austin of NC, but still a nice place to visit. If you are interested in a day trip, check out Chimney rock. Small mountain town about 1 hour away. State park, waterfalls, quaint shops, hike up to the rock, Lake Lure (where Dirty Dancing was filmed), etc. Never flown into Asheville, but Greenville is a nice small airport. Charlotte is fine also, but a little further away. If you want to hunt I live about 2.5 hours away and I can hook you up with deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X