Future Alaska Fishing Trip Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Alaska Fishing Trip Suggestions

It's always been a dream of mine to take my 2 sons to Alaska and Fish (....and go back later and hunt). Me and my oldest son were talking last night about finally planning our trip. I'm sure it'll need to be for 2023 since 2022 will start booking up quickly, and so we can save $, research, plan, etc.

I've seen some good threads and recommendations on the GS. Does anyone have any recent experiences/recommendations for us to consider? It'll be our first time, and we'd like to get the most bang for the buck! We like the combo packages, and we'd like to catch kings, but the time frame seems more narrow than silver and other species.

Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Roby

I’ve been twice. 2 different places ran completely different and would recommend either one depending what you are looking for. The first time was with Rod n Reel adventures on the Kenai river near Soldatna. Fished 5 days all guided. 2 days of Halibut and 3 days of Salmon (silvers in August) stayed in their cabins but responsible for our own food. Because of that the price was fairly reasonable and would highly recommend them. The 2nd time was with Greenrocks lodge out of Petersburg. They are a “self guided” lodge and provided us with a boat and all of our tackle, bait and local knowledge of the fishing grounds then it was up to us to figure it out. Challenging trip but still came home with plenty of fish. Food there was all inclusive. I would highly recommend if DIY is more your style. Halibut fishing down their is much slower in general than up in the Cook Inlet but we still caught a few. Caught a lot of kings coming up a small creek to spawn (June)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We were at Jimmie Jack's in Kenai at the beginning of the month. They have 2 lodges - one has all meals and beverages included (a bit pricey)...but from what I hear great food/accommodations.

We stayed at the other lodge. The accommodations were ok....nothing fancy though. It includes breakfast and all the fixings to create a sack lunch to take with you. You are on your own for dinner/alcohol. We choose this route. Glad we did....we didn't end up eating much and hardly drank any. You get plum won out from fishing....LOL

Each morning, you drive from lodge to the destination they tell you. I think our longest dive was about an hour and 15 minutes. At least one morning you will be up and out of the lodge by 4:30....breakfast will be ready at 4.

Doesn't matter which lodge you stay in...fish cleaning, freezing and packaging is included. The only bad part of that is...the last day of fishing would have to be shipped, as they would not have time to have it processed before you left the next day. Make sure they scheduled your trip that last day for something other than halibut! We brought home 100# and had to ship the last 50 of sockeye...It was a $278 Fed Ex charge....yikes!

One thing you need to take in to account...bring back as much fish as you can on the plane...even though it gets expensive....Fed Ex is a LOT more. On Alaska Airlines, the first checked item is $30, $40 for the next, and each item after that $100. If you are taking your sons...you WILL be bringing back a haul!

We had some great guides...especially the last day. We were supposed to do the float plane trip to remote fishing, but the weather did not pay fair. I called the office to ask if they had any other available trips. They rounded up a guide that was supposed to be off that day and headed to the Kenai River for the second time to fish for sockeye. The guide had a funeral that afternoon and I kept telling him that we were good with leaving when he needed to. He was determined we would limit before we pulled out.... and we did!

Jimmie Jack's also can set you up your charters if you don't want to stay at either lodge. They are highly recommended through various outlets.
      Start Your Vacation Now! Jimmie Jack's 'Original' Alaska Lodge Jimmie Jack’s Alaska Lodge is our “Original” fishing lodge that will keep you equipped with kitchens and campfires during your trip. The lodging package at

I have seen quite a few cabin rentals on air bnb that looked reasonable, as an option.

As far as timing...it depends on what you want to fish for. I can say...the sockeye were coming in thick while we were there the first week of August.

Comment

If I was going up there with my sons like what you’re describing and set on catching kings and had the money ready to go I’d set up a trip on the nushagak. My second choice, and one that I enjoy doing, is a float down the kasilof for kings. Kenai kings are overrated unless you don’t mind trolling all day and just want a pic with a fish.

There’s a million ways to go with staying in a hotel or cabin and doing everything on your own to staying in a lodge that has everything there for you that you basically just pick off a menu of what to do. One recommendation, if you plan on catching sockeye, no reason to waste your money paying a guide to take you fishing.

Comment

I gone this this guy when he was still in the service up there and he will do you right, he is from Fort Worth and still lives there in the winter.

Tree Tops Lodge welcomes guests from all over the world to experience great saltwater and freshwater Alaska fishing. The rugged Southeast Alaska coastline is one of the most beautiful and pristine natural environments in the world.

Comment

I would not go inland. Just wasn't what we expected.

Comment

I delivered a boat to Juno Alaska, started in Vancouver and drove and anchored in lots of different places, caught salmon, lingcod, dropped crab traps , slept on the boat was lots of fun, then did a trip to king salmon Alaska , for salmon and huge rainbow trout, pike in lakes,
              Polished off with a caribou hunt , research what type of salmon run is happening when you’re planning on going, the rainbows are always hungry during the runs

Comment

Thank you All for the tips and suggestions! This will help tremendously.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

blackfoot1 on here lives in Alaska and works for Ninilchik Charters. They have a full range of fishing options, as well as different lodging options.

Chris

Comment

<

Comment

I took my 2 boys & dad in July 2019 to RW’s in Soldotna, best fishing experience of my life.

They are right on the Kenai so ad lib fishing occurs anytime of the day & after your daily trip. We caught so many fish just in camp!
                        Btw lodging included & they clean all you fish, freeze it for shipping or flight. You cook & provide your own meals in the kitchen of your lodge.

1st day=float plane trip with guide to catch silvers & sight see brown bears fishing in streams (great experience)

2nd day=charter Halibut fishing in your own boat with a guide

3rd day=guided king fishing on Kenai in your own private boat

4th day=1/2 day guided king fishing (you fish the afternoons with waders in the river for pinks or explore the region)

5th day= similar to 4th day

Plan ahead 2 or more years with reservations

Good luck

Comment

Try and use the same airline for the whole trip so your not having to pay more than one airline for checking all your fish. I did Sitka two years in a row and highly recommend it. Fish every day and the processors meet you at the airport with your catch on your way out.

Comment

X2 on RW’s awesome place with excellent fishing right off the bank too by the cabin when not out on other trips

Comment

I can’t recommend a guide because my friends don’t guide BUT I wanted to add to what [mention]Mary [/mention] wrote…. If you sign up for a Alaska Airlines Visa card (through Bank of America, unfortunately) you get a better deal on baggage. Not to mention, it’s a great card with lots of benefits and they have some terrific sign-up incentives (50K miles or more with signup, I think) right now. When you sign up for their mileage program and get the card you’re also given ONE $99 “companion fare” each year - take a friend with you as nowhere Alaska flies for just $99 each way! I earn a LOT of cheap and free travel (including to AK) by using that card for everything. Just figured I’d let you know. Big savings on travel will make things easier for a big trip like that; including bringing all your meat home!

Personally, I’d look at a early August trip to hit King Salmon season! There’s just something about them that I love.

Good luck! You’re gonna LOVE IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X