No announcement yet.

Extreme Rookie Goes Turkey Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the excitement and the laugh this morning, Jeff! If you get a mouth call you like (and you may need to try several), work on a soft and seductive purr to go along with yelps and cuts.

Wall Hanger, leave that steel shot at home. Pick up a 10 count box of copper plated lead turkey loads (4, 5, 6 shot or combination of those sizes), and use an extra full choke. And forget about the body, aim for his lips!

Comment

Dang, Jeff, you have to shoot to kill one! Wait till you get one strutting and drumming just out of range! . Thanks for taking us along, great job as always!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        Great write up and video Jeff. I think he shot you the bird when he cruised back through the second time. Mouth call is the way to go. You can practice while your driving. I’ve never gotten to full draw on one. I think they have six or even eight eyes. Good luck next time and thanks for sharing such a humbling experience.
        8 for sure maybe 10

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
            Daaaang….walked by you twice!! How many more chances you need
            3 maybe?? Hell, I don't know. I'd have probably watched a third time. lol

Originally posted by Cull View Post
            PS. This hunt's lesson was a 12 gauge can also do a number on their beards if you shoot them straight on.
            lol A sharp broadhead may do the same.

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
            Go look up where to shoot them.
            I've shot many with a bow. Never hunting in the Spring is all I'm sayin'!

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            Wow, i can’t believe it! You’re 57??
            Shush it KK!!!

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Wait......whuuuut?
            A tweety bird is what I meant. LOL

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
            Bring your shotgun next time.
            I'll pass!

Comment

For years, my brother puts me and dad in on those draw hunts. We seemed to get drawn on a deer hunt every couple years. So one year, my brother said he put us in on a turkey hunt. The second year of applying, we drew a hunt at Kerr WMA. None of us had ever done a turkey hunt. Long story short, the first afternoon, 45 minutes into the hunt, my brother shot his first gobbler with me on a box call and video camera. Next day, couldn’t call in nothing. Next day and last morning hunt, we decide to run and gun it. After bumping a couple birds in trying to get on top of them, had one sound off just in the distance. This time we decided to stay put. I pulled out my slate call and went to work like I saw them do on all those TV shows I watched prior to this hunt. My brother was set up about 10 yards behind me on the camera. After about 30 minutes of calling and him gobbling all the way, he shows up. As he makes his way toward my decoy, I picked out a spot where I had a clear shot and knew my brother could get it on video. Right before he got to that spot, he turned and took off. Well, I’m thinking my brother moved and my brother is thinking about the same thing with me. After a couple minutes, I see 3 more Toms coming in. Well, my deer hunting instinct kicked in and I’m thinking they all are about to take off. So I said forget the video and took the first shot I had. Dropped that big bird right there. Then the other 2 jumped that Tom and beat the crap out of him. Apparently I shot the dominant bird. And, my brother got it all on video!!!
              After that hunt, I told my brother I can’t believe we had been passing on turkey hunting all these years!!!
              So welcome to the club. Doesn’t look like I’m going to get to go this year due to work.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                You’ve got that box call down!
                Lmao!

Comment

Congratulations on the hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    You’ve got that box call down!
                    You teach me how to use the box call and I'll teach you how to shoot a bow!

Comment

Extreme Rookie Goes Turkey Hunting

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      You teach me how to use the box call and I'll teach you how to shoot a bow!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

The hardest part is after you get them in range, as you found out twice. LOL
                        Good video.

Comment

Working...
                        X