Let's talk garage floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk garage floors

Wife wants a new garage floor. What do you guys have or recommend? I looked at epoxy flooring but don't know much about alternatives. I sometimes use the garage for woodworking, my son sometimes plays in the garage and spills bubble juice, and my wife parks her car in the garage. Every so often I do oil changes and will do my wife's car in the garage. Other than the car, which hot tires have torn up the paint or whatever is on the floor now, I would say its use is fairly light. Also one more question - I imagine the answer is yes - do I need to strip the paint off the garage floor now?

I’d like to know more about epoxy myself. I’ll be eavesdropping !

Comment

Same. In

Comment

My advice is don't do the cheap stuff from the big box stores, it will peel up and you won't be happy.

Comment

Oil

Comment

Wife has been wanting to epoxy our garage floor for years. Does it in a lot of the houses she builds. We also have epoxy in our office. Has been great so far.

Comment

Early feedback from me, is I love the epoxy floors in my barndo boat barn. Wish I had put it in all my other garages. Saying that, I have not test drove it with spills, dirt, mud, etc...but I hear that's where it shines on clean ups. We shall see....it ain't cheap!
              Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Have it professionally done. Polyaspartic coating is the way to go

Comment

Have a couple of friends that have done the epoxy and chip kits at Home Depot/Lowes they looked great when they were first done, but have worn out completely where they drive their cars in and out of the garage. The rest of the floor still looks good though. I second the professional and polyaspartc coating.

Comment

I had an epoxy floor professionally installed twice in my garage. The first time I had 2 issues. First It was slick as ice when wet and second it peeled off under my F250 tires after a couple years.

Next go around I hired a different contractor who completely removed all of the old epoxy and replaced with new. Also we added a sand product to help with slippery when wet I believe it was called Shark's Tooth. Results were much better as far as traction goes but it also peeled up under my truck tires.

I moved to a new location and tried a sealer instead of epoxy. It has not peeled up anywhere but does not resist spills from petroleum products.

Just my experience for what its worth.

I am following this tread to get any helpful information I can. Hope this helps.

Comment

Very helpful - thanks to everyone. Keep the advice coming in! Much appreciated.

Comment

I put in the Lowes Epoxy with the traction additive and have so far been pleased, now in 10 years we will see if it has still held up. I did make sure to clean and each the floor as well as possible before applying the epoxy and am hoping that will make a difference on durability. My inlaws have done that epoxy multiple times and after 5 years still been pleased. It is very cheap and easy to DIY

Comment

Check out LS Concrete Coatings. They use a polyurea and polyespartic concrete coating. It literally grows roots into the concrete. It's not cheap but it has a limited lifetime warranty and is 4x stronger that epoxy floors. Tell them Chase sent you for a discount. This stuff lasts up to 20yrs

Comment

I just moved and had a professional put down epoxy with heavy flake and I am very happy. It looks great and is not slippery at all.

I won't be parking any cars in this garage so no idea how it would hold up to hot tires, but when I was researching I found that could possibly be an issue. It was between epoxy or Racedeck tiles. Both look great and are similar in cost.

Go to garagejournal.com and read about all the flooring you can stand.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Dang sorry for the sideways pics

Comment

Working...
                              X