Bee Keepers & Ag Exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
    Find a bee keeper in that area and allow them to keep hives on your land.
    This is.pretty much a thing of the past. I was lucky and found a beekeeper willing to do it but most will charge landowners now PER hive. I guess it's become.so popular with more and more landowners deciding to go this route for exemption.
    Originally posted by sbushee View Post
    Thanks guys… I’ll check with appraisal dist. It’s my understanding that it’s not an east endeavor to keep bees. Maybe I can find someone close that will do it
    Good luck. It's absolutely a commitment for sure.

As stated each county sets it's own individual regs. Minimum acreage, maximum acreage, # of hives, etc.

Also, be forewarned you can't have any "lapse" in exemptions any year or you have to start over and you don't qualify for an actual tax exemption until year 5! In other words, the prior exemption (hay production, cattle, wildlife, etc) has to be current and NOT skipped a year or you have to submit and start over.

Comment

I actually bought an acre off a neighbor, in part to get the honey bee exemption. Went from 5 acres to 6 acres. Per state law, county is required to give the exemption on 5+ acres. The one acre homesteaded does. Will save me about $4,000/year. If course I'll have the expense for bees, but no where near that.

My neighbor is a master bee keeper and will help me. I'm on year three of five for the exemption to kick in. No bees yet. Just been "preparing the land". Per our county appraisal bee lady, this is acceptable. Plant $100 wild flower seed last three years.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

In the county we are in they only allow 150.00 per acre for bee exemptions as I understand it. If I remember it’s correctly a minimum of 5 acres with a timeframe of production before the exemption is allowed.
        Last edited by tps7742; 08-13-2022, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I have a friend that runs a bee business. He offers classes as well. If you’re interested, pm me. He’s in Fulshear.

Comment

We just received our Ag Exemption this year for our property. The area we are in is not the most prolific for bees, so it is somewhat of a challenge to keep them maintained, plus the drought here has been brutal. I’m very curious how much it will help us on taxes.

Comment

Check into bird houses worked for my neighbor

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                In the county we are in they only allow 150.00 per acre for bee exemptions as I understand it. If I remember it’s correctly a minimum of 5 acres with a timeframe of production before the exemption is allowed.
                That's interesting but yes, the amount you save will vary based on the county you are in, the amount of land and the property valuation by your CAD. The higher the appraised value of the land, the larger the tax exemption. My ag exemption is way more than that, trust me. Granted my land is surrounded by fairly decent agricultural and timber production and I have about a 1 acre tank which also helps add value.

As for the minimum/maximum acreage...it's my understanding most Texas counties require a minimum of 5 acres and a maximum of 20 acres for bee pollination ag exemption.

And yes, there is a catch. If you do not currently have an "existing" Ag Exemption on your land, then you will need to set up and document 5 years of continuing agricultural/beekeeping use before you can obtain your new land valuation and see the reduction in taxes.

Comment

Not that bad to do after you get going. First few years are tough. Startup costs are pretty high for all the equipment. I got all my bees from swarm traps and removals.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post

Not that bad to do after you get going. First few years are tough. Startup costs are pretty high for all the equipment. I got all my bees from swarm traps and removals.

Very nice sir!

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                      What’s the minimum acreage for wildlife exemption there?
                      Sometimes you can pool together with your neighbors.
                      10 for wildlife, 20 for ag

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        Check into bird houses worked for my neighbor
                        I’ll check into it. Bird houses? I had no idea. Maybe they will allow that

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                          I’ll check into it. Bird houses? I had no idea. Maybe they will allow that
                          That is through the wildlife tax valuation, not just bird houses.

Comment

Also keep in mind that once the property has been declared in agricultural use, you can then use wildlife management to qualify for ag and get rid of the bees as there will not be a minimum acreage requirement as long as the property does not reduce in size relative to the previous tax year.

Comment

Working...
                            X