Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swarm of bees on my hummingbird feeder

Never happened before
    I was disappointed the birds were not able to drink because a double handful of bees were sitting there

I waited till dark when the bees left and retrieved my new feeder. I am planning to relocate in a couple days across the yard.

FWIW a neighbor ended up in the hospital last fall after being attacked by a swarm.

Any suggestions to keep this from happening again?

Thanks

We had same issue, did what you’re doing. Maybe they’re just passing through and will be gone in a day or two.

Comment

Had it happen also. Left them alone and they moved on. Your sugar supply is probably all they could find.

Comment

Not enough other food sources for the local bees. You could put a honeybee feeder out but it still may not prevent them from getting on your bird feeder. Once things start blooming, they’ll leave the sugar water alone.

Comment

They will keep going to the feeder because it's a free source of food for them.

Comment

They are hungry and thirsty....put out some sugar water a way from the feeders

Comment

I've always been told if you have yellow on the flowers that it attracts them. Not sure if that is true because I've had them on my solid red but only a couple normally. Throw out some wild flower seed to give the other sources. Plant for the hummingbirds helps to as they both co-exist on them.

Comment

bees

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                They are hungry and thirsty....put out some sugar water a way from the feeders
                This is what I do as well. A shallow bowl of sugar water with rocks in it. They will drown if just a pool of water. They need things to land on and crawl on to get the sugar water. I even have some pieces of pvc cut to lay in the bowls for them.
                I have swarms of them every year. I keep their supply about 25 yards from the hummingbird feeders

Comment

Had it happen one fall, figured they were loading up for the winter

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    Never happened before
                    I was disappointed the birds were not able to drink because a double handful of bees were sitting there

I waited till dark when the bees left and retrieved my new feeder. I am planning to relocate in a couple days across the yard.

FWIW a neighbor ended up in the hospital last fall after being attacked by a swarm.

Any suggestions to keep this from happening again?

Thanks
                    You had a prime opportunity to get a swarm and start your very own apiary

Comment

Not interested in raising bees

There is nothing else blooming so I feel sorry for the hummingbirds who don’t sting

Thanks for the info. Swarms of bees living nearby Doesn’t work for me or my family.
                      I ain’t scared of bees, but my neighbor being in the hospital scared me.
                      They attacked a dozer clearing for our new fence
                      Luckily he had a cab that was bee proof.

The dozer video is amazing. I will share if you want to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        Not interested in raising bees

There is nothing else blooming so I feel sorry for the hummingbirds who don’t sting

Thanks for the info. Swarms of bees living nearby Doesn’t work for me or my family.
                        I ain’t scared of bees, but my neighbor being in the hospital scared me.
                        They attacked a dozer clearing for our new fence
                        Luckily he had a cab that was bee proof.

The dozer video is amazing. I will share if you want to see it.
                        Post it up.

Comment

I’d like to see that video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Please share the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big Pig texted me the video....wild! I, however, could not figure out how to get it on TBH.

Comment

Working...
                              X