Put my buddy down today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put my buddy down today

Made the decision to put my dog Jake down today. Adopted him after fostering him for a short period, so not sure exactly how old he was but estimated him to be 13.

First dog I've had that was "mine", and I always knew it was going to suck when the time came, but it really freaking sucks.

My question for all you dog people on here is, how do you move on and eventually get another dog? I keep trying to remind myself of all the good times over the 13 years, but the heartache building up to and culminating today is not something I want to go through again.

I am so sorry for your loss. Yeah the pain is awful. And it's real. When I lost my buddy after 16 years, I felt like I cried every day for 3 months (in private of course)

When it's time, you will know - the right dog will happen along. Some people, just a week. For me, it was almost 2 years even though I had 2 good dogs at the time. They didn't have that "you are mine" feel. Then one day, I knew in my heart it was time. I wasn't replacing her, but my pain had gone down enough to have room for another.

IMO, don't listen to the ones that say get a new dog this weekend. Like marrying the first date after a divorce. Don't do it.
    Last edited by Pistol; 03-19-2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Prayers Up for You! It always Suks having to go through this. You will know when you are ready. It took me a little longer to get my current bird dog. last one hurt for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by bigt6450 View Post
        Made the decision to put my dog Jake down today. Adopted him after fostering him for a short period, so not sure exactly how old he was but estimated him to be 13.

First dog I've had that was "mine", and I always knew it was going to suck when the time came, but it really freaking sucks.

My question for all you dog people on here is, how do you move on and eventually get another dog? I keep trying to remind myself of all the good times over the 13 years, but the heartache building up to and culminating today is not something I want to go through again.
        Sorry to hear that but have to love the time spent together. Time heals.

Comment

Really sorry for the loss.
          After losing my last dog, I thought I’d never get another one. Now, 4 years later we have a new puppy. I catch myself comparing the new one to my last, but my wife reminds me that isn’t fair.
          I think eventually you somewhat get past the hurt. Then, when the option comes up for getting another one, you are more open to the idea.

Comment

Man, I know the feeling, had to do this for two out of the three that were great companions. The last one is 16, black lab, we were scheduled for the euthanasia today and we delayed it, my oldest son said he wasn’t ready to put him down, I had a tear in my eye so we scheduled it for next week. It’s a tough call and situation. We got two younger labs in hopes they keep our mind off of it. It’s never easy.

Comment

Not all dogs are the same.
              When the right one comes along you'll know.
              Bonding with a dog is special thing, even though it seems kinda silly.
              Sorry for your loss.

Comment

It’s always a sad day and I never rush out and get another one. After a few months we usally start looking for a rescue in the breed we like. The rescues really seem to appreciate a good home with a routine and adapt pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I still mourn all my dead dogs....some have been in the ground 20 years. I never want to forget them. They all had a place in that particular chapter of my life. I turn the page and start a new chapter. I try to take what I learned from the last dog and be better for and with the next friend in the new chapter.

God bless you MrBigT. Im sorry your friend passed on.

Comment

You never forget a good dog. We put our 16 yo lab almost six years ago and still miss her. I think part of it is the fact that we as pet custodians have to make the decision.

Comment

Suxx for sure man.

Comment

Man it's always a tough decision, but sometimes are way harder than others, I know your pain & sorry you're having to go through that. Time will heal the hurt & God will send you another companion when the time is right......Prayers for you

Comment

Always so hard. So very, very hard.

When to get a new pup? I think it's like loosing a spouse: Good advice to not make any big decisions for a year. Let the emotions calm, and then when the right pup comes along you'll know it. With a pup I'd wait a few months.

One thing to consider. Depending on your age, level of activity, etc you may want to consider a different breed for your new pup. Lost my Brittany Spaniel at age 50 and did not really need or want a working dog anymore. That dog was an Olympian! I'm slowing down and would want a more docile breed in the future.

Comment

I guess I need to throw my recent experience in the mix. Put down our sweet old lady dog on May 1. She was 14 and I cried alone or along with my wife for two weeks. Swore it would be years before I got a new one. On June 2, one month later, my wife was emailed a picture of a puppy that needed to be rescued. The puppy looked just like our old lady dog, Lucy. I had my reservations but went ahead and agreed to get the puppy.

I’ll make a long story short, hit the jackpot with our rescue puppy, Scout. I will hurt again when this one leaves us. Great dog.

Comment

Thanks y’all for the thoughts and prayers. Coached my son’s tee ball today, and coming home without my Jake there to greet us was rough. Not sure how long it’ll be until that passes.

I have a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old at home, so the older already wants another dog (thanks 101 Dalmatians). We have another old boy dog at home, so we’re going to have to go through this again at some point in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                              X