Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foam fill E Bike tires ? anyone done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foam fill E Bike tires ? anyone done it?

Has anyone foam filled their bicycle tires? is it feasible? They do it for tractors to keep from getting flats. Would it work for bikes?

For trips down to Laguna Atascosa and such where you are several miles from your vehicle.

would it make the tire too solid and too harsh of a ride?

I have the fat tire on my E Bike and looking for ways to keep the flats down/non existent.

thoughts / Ideas...

They would be very heavy and rough ride. It beats up tractors

Comment

Just use Slime like we do in out ATV's if you are running tubeless tires.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm running slime like stuff as well as liners in the tires.

I was afraid of the "beats up" part. It was a thought.

Comment

I would think it would be way too rough to ride. I have a rigid fat bike and the difference between 15 and 20psi is huge for ride quality. I run 20 on road and about 10 when riding trails.

I can't imagine them being able to make a foam filler that can perform like an pneumatic tire.

The only time slime failed me was when I've punched holes where I could hear air and see the slime coming out the hole.

Comment

Most everything has a trade out. There are pros and cons to almost any thing.

Comment

Talked to a tire guy once that foamed a set of ATV tires for a guy that rode ROW every day.

Said guy was back in less than a month to order new tires and wheels, said it beat him to death riding it with the foam

Comment

Don't foam them for the reasons mentioned above. I think going tubeless will be your best bet, but i would still carry a pump and a tube, just in case. When you go tubeless they put a sealant in the tire and it should be more flat resistant than putting sealant into tubes. Good luck

Comment

Tubeless with a good sealant (not slime) is your answer.

Look for MultiSeal.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      Tubeless with a good sealant (not slime) is your answer.

Look for MultiSeal.
                      Why is Multiseal better than Slime?(serious question)

Comment

I use flat out and it works well. More of a commercial grade than slime IMO. It has kevlar

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                          Why is Multiseal better than Slime?(serious question)

Just a superior product, especially in an agricultural application. Seals bigger punctures etc

Comment

I have a Rambo Ebike rigged out for hunting. It’s been super helpful and fun especially when spring turkey hunting a large well roaded ranch in west Texas.

But I have struggled with flats in the thorny country out there. I’ve used the very best of the “slime” products. Just when you think you have it worked out you are stuck miles from camp with flat tires.

I finally worked out the process that has worked best for me, but there are trade offs with everything. I went from the standard “tubed” tires to tubeless. This gives the sealant a much better opportunity to work, since it has a much thicker wall of defense to set up in. The tire is many times thicker than a tube, giving the sealant a significant amount of time and real estate to do it’s job. It has worked on even some large mesquite thorns.

The trade off? You simply cannot run that lower tire pressure that gives you the shock absorbing soft ride that the tubes tire affords. If you get much below 8-10 psi the tire goes flat and you have a mess with sealant everywhere. Then you clean up and start over.
                            So for now, I’m simply slowing my roll and watching the bumps, where before I just let her rip and the tires cushioned the ride. It’s amazing how much difference a few psi makes.

This is the first time I’ve heard about this mousse insert. Interesting...

Comment

Working...
                            X