Buy a new caliber now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a new caliber now?

I've been wanting to get a .308 and I have saved the money to buy the rifle I want. With the ammo shortage I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy one right now. It's a want not a need as I have a .270 that will do most things a .308 will. Is it worth it to buy a rifle I might not be able to shoot since ammo has become so hard to find?

Will the ammo shortage improve anytime soon? If so...when?

I’d buy a 28 gauge or a muzzleloader. Plenty of ammo for that on the shelves

Comment

The ammo is sky high, but a small part of the total deal.

Comment

I bought a new rifle and it took a while to get ammo but I’ve got 7 boxes for it now. Got to hit local gun shops fairly often.

Comment

I have a rifle I bought a few years ago that I've never mounted a scope on. I have another one I bought at least 5 years ago that has a scope and isn't zeroed.

Buy the gun lol

Comment

If you find the rifle you want, may as well go ahead and buy it. Just keep an eye out for ammo.

Comment

Or go ahead and try to accumulate some ammo and then buy the gun when you have a sufficient quantity for ammo.

Comment

Having a .280ai built right now.
                Cant be scared lol

Comment

Buy it. And then buy ammo whenever you can.

Comment

Thanks! I like the way yall think.

Comment

I'm in the same boat right now, and I agree! If you can find the gun the ammo will show up

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
                        Buy it. And then buy ammo whenever you can.
                        +1

Comment

Just buy what you want. 308 is a great round. I have 243’s, 270’s, 308’s, and 20 gauge rifled slug guns I hunt with. I have grown tired of people saying they can’t find hunting ammo. It’s out there. You just have to do your homework. I have plenty of Remington, Winchester, and Federal for the above calibers. Most was bought in 2019, 2020, and recently sabot slugs. All normal retail pricing. Don’t let the ammo boogie monsters scare you.

Comment

My theory right now, is buy as many different caliber guns as you can, more likely to find ammo for one of them, then to have a bunch of one caliber, more so a popular caliber and not be able to find any ammo for that caliber.

Comment

I’m aching over a 257 Weatherby, but until I reach a comfort level with reloading components for my existing guns, I am hesitant to buy another caliber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X