Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roadscholar View Post
    Here's a pic. Not great quality, it's a screenshot of the video.

[ATTACH]1037437[/ATTACH]

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lotta duck hunters at the ramp this morning. Had to to get in line to launch.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Lotta duck hunters at the ramp this morning. Had to to get in line to launch.

We heard lots of shooting yesterday morning, some fairly close, some way in the distance. My wife and I had a great hunt at a walk-in spot we scouted the day before. 2-man limit of 10 GW Teal and 2 wood duck drakes, which were my first woodies ever.

Comment

There were a lot of teal. I did have a flight of lpintails come in. And took 1. Having GPS maps on my Helix sure made getting to my pre determined spot a whole lot easier. I just followed the track I laid from visiting it before. It's not the best location. But didn't have to worry about other people.

That fog was thick!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            There were a lot of teal. I did have a flight of lpintails come in. And took 1. Having GPS maps on my Helix sure made getting to my pre determined spot a whole lot easier. I just followed the track I laid from visiting it before. It's not the best location. But didn't have to worry about other people.

That fog was thick!

It was serious fog for sure. And where we were, it got worse about an hour after legal. We suddenly realized that we could no longer see a treeline about 200 yards away, and it was visible just 15-20 min before.
            Made for an exciting hunt, the birds would basically be on us before we knew they were coming.
            I'm tired of getting up at 4am, but since it's the last week I want to get out a couple of more times.

Comment

I get up at 4 for work. 3 to duck hunt.

One more weekend for me. Work through the week. And Saturday is not looking to good wind wise, for the boat. Hope Sunday is good. Then I take up hunting fish till May (crappie, sandies, or what ever.)

If it gets to windy for ya on the big water, head to the creeks. Birds will be flying up the creeks early looking for places to get out of the wind. Half doz dequees will do the trick. Or 3 or 4 magnums.

Comment

TG, I agree about minimal decoys. We used 8 on Sunday, and might just go with 5 or 6 this weekend.

I'm looking forward to another hunt or two but not gonna lie, my mind is beginning to switch over to other things, like when will the sandies show up in the Nolan, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  TG, tell us if he has nads.

"if he has nads"? Well, if it's a "he", I hope so. But ya never know these days.

Comment

So, my duck season closes today with them getting a free pass for the last day. I got to go 6 times this year. Already looking forward to next year.

Already got the blind put up. And boat rigged out for fish hunting (with a hook and line). Think I'm gonna use 30 0/6 hooks .

Comment

Got a few duck hunts before the end of season and was finally able to harvest something from this land this season. Saw a few huge groups of GWT at shooting light but they were not interested in anything I was selling. Still managed to get a couple low-flying drakes both mornings.

Sunday morning I took my doggy, and she got he first retrieve! I could have just stopped hunting right then I was so proud! Dropped off the nicer of the 2 drakes to get mounted yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ellies first retrieve.png
Views:	1
Size:	563.4 KB
ID:	24642007

Comment

I hunted solo mid-week twice. Shot 5 on Wed, gw teal and gaddies. Got shutout on Thur without firing a shot- tried a new spot that I hadn't scouted.

Hunted with my wife Sunday and we got 9- one pintail and the rest were gw teal. Could've had two limits but we passed on some teal early, hoping there would be more big ducks later. Did see a lot of big ducks but they were mostly up high and not interested in our little spread. Wind was pretty bad, I sure wouldn't have wanted to be in a boat.

Overall a good season, especially the last 2-3 weeks. A few limits, a few zeroes, and a few in-between. All my hunts were walk-in.

Ready for sand bass and stripers now!

Comment

Got the get of of coronebola jail free card friday but with the deadline and two employees out no hunt for me. I'm not putting the boat up yet. Think I'll float some creeks for tree rats. Glad all had a good season. First skunked hunt in a long time and poorest season ever. Chalk it up to user error on the few ducks I did see. One bright spot. I managed to turn a high flying group of snows using my honker call. First time I've done that. It's still pig Killin time. February and March at least.

Comment

Anyone know what the water temp is right now?

Comment

Last week- Whitney
                              GOOD. Water lightly stained; 50 degrees; 2.26 low

Comment

Originally posted by Slaughterhog View Post
                                Anyone know what the water temp is right now?
                                I saw a post on the TFF that showed a few graph screenshots from a day or two ago, and the water temp was 52.4

I'm thinking about getting the boat out Friday and trying some deadsticking. Winds are supposed to be light, 5-10 mph out of the east, and a high of 62 degrees.

Comment

Working...
                                X