Can I dilute lacquer thinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I dilute lacquer thinner?

So here is the thing. I recently bought an outboard that someone spray painted camo. I am in the process of removing the spray paint. I started with lacquer thinner and a scotchbrite pad, which worked very well but was eating into the factory paint. So I swapped to that goof off spray stuff. It works but requires much more elbow grease.

Can I dilute the lacquer thinner down to make it less aggressive? With water or what?

Also do you think the motor has a different type of paint than the cowling, with it being metal vs fiberglass?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You might want to try denatured alcohol, but it still may want to remove the factory paint if there was no 2 part clear coat sprayed over the original paint. As far as the difference in the paint from the motor and the cowling they are probably the same. Just takes more prep work to get the paint to stick to fiberglass. You should be able to just scuff it real good with a red scotch brite pad, clean it with the denatured alcohol then paint it again. If I was closer I could do it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by buckfan50 View Post
      You might want to try denatured alcohol, but it still may want to remove the factory paint if there was no 2 part clear coat sprayed over the original paint. As far as the difference in the paint from the motor and the cowling they are probably the same. Just takes more prep work to get the paint to stick to fiberglass. You should be able to just scuff it real good with a red scotch brite pad, clean it with the denatured alcohol then paint it again. If I was closer I could do it for you!
      Not looking to paint again. Trying to get it back to original paint if possible. So far so good. Will try denatured alcohol

Comment

Maybe try WD 40 to remove the spray paint?

Comment

Upon the suggestion of someone on a fb page, I diluted the lacquer thinner with plain rubbing alcohol. I did roughly 50/50. It worked awesome. Wish I had taken a before pic. It did seem to take the clear coat off and got into the paint in a few places but it is such a huge transformation for this motor that I was thrilled.

Comment

You can try Dirtex, Not sure it will work it's like goof off.

Comment

Looks pretty good !

Comment

Looks good! Now your ready for a new clear coat! I like learnin' handy stuff like this.

Comment

If you don’t clear coat it I would suggest turtle wax on it. Several coats of you can. You did what you had to, to get the paint off but if you want it to last you need to put some oils back into the surface or it will dry out and get worse.

Comment

Now time to get after the boat

Comment

Try acetone...Its a great solvents and removes some Paints real well...Just try some wifes finger nail polish remover thats what most of it is..

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                        Now time to get after the boat
                        Boat was fully repainted. Took a lot more work than I expected to get it all cleaned up, prepped, and painted. It is all just tan for now. I will probably camo it eventually but have not decided on a pattern yet. I also put foam in the bottom and built a floor with a sea dek type product on it. Will add some pics from my phone in a sec.

Comment

Before

Comment

Current

Comment

Lookin great

Comment

Working...
                              X