Barncat house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barncat house

Being retired in Montana, 2 things that don’t bother me are the weather and putting out traps for field mice. My wife, however, hates mice- something from her childhood she will not discuss.

So…. I decided to get a couple mousers from the humane society and built a little house. Outdoors-only animals.

I used left over lumber and cedar shakes from our house. What was interesting was there were lots of YouTubes showing how to use an old cooler with a 6x6 hole for entry.

I only took a couple pictures. As I screwed the fir floorboards on, I sprayed insulation foam in between the cooler and wood. There’s a 25 watt 120 vac heater screwed to the bottom. It keeps the inside around 40 degrees when it was 20 outside. I got a heated water bowl and put out a bowl of cat food.

Then I brought home 2 barn cats, cute little creatures. Took them out of the cardboard travel boxes. Cat1 ran away west, Cat2 ran the other direction and I haven’t seen them since- even set up a game cam last night.

The woman at the humane society said give it 2 weeks, and if no sign of cats they’ll gladly give me 2 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife bought a heated one and I mounted it 5 feet off the ground. Cat jumps on trash can and then jumps to it's porch.

I like yours better...

Comment

That’s pretty neat, I’m gonna have to do that. I have two tomcats, one sleeps in the garage, the other hangs out mostly on the front porch. The garage cat doesn’t share so I need something better for the other one to sleep in when it’s cold.

Comment

That's a nice build!

Comment

Barncat house

Thanks, over-engineered but I had the wood and time. I figured I’d see it every day and didn’t want an eyesore next to the house. Somebody told me get a couple or 3 hay bales, put them with a gap between away from the house. Cats sleep in the gaps, hay attracts mice and there you go.

I’ve never had cats. I wonder where the 2 are? It’s bern in the teens at night here so it’s not comfortable wherever they went.

Last edited by Bill; 12-31-2022, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Keep a little food out. They will come around at night.

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                Nice work.

Funny- on Christmas our son pulled out his phone and showed my wife and I pictures of a new construction house he framed, sheathed and just had set the windows. He did it himself except paying a guy for 5 days ‘rolling’ the roof trusses.

Then I pulled out my phone and showed him the cat house- with wood he left after building ours.

It was great seeing how he’s taken the basic carpentry I taught him as a kid, worked in custom home carpentry thru college getting a construction management degree and now is a builder.

Comment

The cat house looks good they will like it in your climate especially.
                  On the barn cats running off, from my experience since I have been living back in the country that’s the norm but they should show back up eventually to eat. I lose at least one a year sometimes two due to varmints, eagles etc. and I have them all fixed. I have one old Tom cat approximately 8 that he usually takes the under his wing to teach them most of the ropes but not staying alive. I do have one Tom not fixed now we will see how that goes. My experience has been the best ones i get from farmers around that are half wild. The ones from the spca or pound do not never see being full grown. I think the eagles take care of them or hawks. I never was a cat person until I moved to a rural area and figured out they are a necessity imo.
                  Last edited by tps7742; 12-31-2022, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Funny- on Christmas our son pulled out his phone and showed my wife and I pictures of a new construction house he framed, sheathed and just had set the windows. He did it himself except paying a guy for 5 days ‘rolling’ the roof trusses.

Then I pulled out my phone and showed him the cat house- with wood he left after building ours.

It was great seeing how he’s taken the basic carpentry I taught him as a kid, worked in custom home carpentry thru college getting a construction management degree and now is a builder.

I bet this does make you proud of him and obviously so. Congratulations

Comment

Bill, great looking Cat-house (never thought I'd say something like that ). That ought to work great . As for the cats running off, I guess that's one way for the SPCA to get rid of them . Hopefully they will show back up. Wild cats take a bit of time to tame. Helps more when they are kittens. My grandfather always had wild ones living around his house. I've caught a few and tamed them. But the initial "meet-n-great" is a little painful without good gloves.

Comment

That’s cool man. Nice of you to keep them warm! In the spring we have about 10 to 15 barn cats and kittens. Down to about 5 by the end of winter. Coyotes get them I guess. Or owls or buzzards or something. . I dunno. I hate cats but they keep the mice down so I don’t t fight them. There was one that would jump off the top of the hay bales on top my head and tear me up every time I walked by. It got so I didn’t want to go in there but he disappeared right after we bought the place so that was a bit of a relief.

Comment

I am planning to get some feral cats from the local animal shelter. They are always looking to get them to someone that can use them. I hope mine stay around long enough to do some good. I am so tired of all the rats and mice that seem to like my place. Going to make something like you did.

Comment

You can also stack 3 -4 tires on top of each other. Slide a board 2nd /3rd tire go a floor put board on top. Either put some straw or a cooler in there and cut you a hole for them to get in and out. Cats love to sleep up off the ground

Comment

We had feral cats on a lease I hunted. After the cats we were no longer seeing snakes around the camp. People in my hood think it’s a good idea to put out food for birds and deer. Then the rats come followed by the snakes. And they just don’t understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X